F1 2011!

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: F1 2011!

Post by Ron2K »

Editorial on P-F1. Totally agree with it.
And then there was the other repeat that we were invited to watch ad infinitum. Felipe v Lewis has become the clash of F1 but, like an old joke turned vindictive, it's not funny anymore.

Having mourned the passing of Dan Wheldon and Marco Simoncelli before the race start, there was something extraordinarily crass about what followed in such familiar fashion. The stewards were quite correct in the punishment they meted out, with Massa leaving the door open only to slam it shut with little or no care for the consequences, and the only argument is whether the matter should be put to rest with a drive-through. It shouldn't be because it's high time that the pair were called in for a final warning.

On this occasion, Massa looked to blame because he looked for Hamilton's whereabouts before plunging his Ferrari into his rival's McLaren. Only Massa can truly know what he saw and it may be the case that the Brazilian was still blind to Hamilton's position. Appearances can be deceptive and all that.

Yet the wider concern is that this ongoing spat has all the soundbites and hallmarks of a feud that will only end with something terrible. Massa v Hamilton has become dangerous and, regardless of where the blame lies, another reunion should result in the pair of them being black-flagged.

F1 can have no place for a personal grudge; not now, not ever.
Although, seeing this reaction to the crash was worth it!

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

That is just plain epic. That was almost the highlight of my day.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

never a dull moment with Mr Bean in the vicinity... :D
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Yea I was furious at first but after seeing Mr Bean's reaction I burst out laughing :lol: . I do hope that Hamilton and Massa sort this out soon

//I did enjoy seeing Massa's car fall apart after all that :lol: :lol:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Pfft whatever. Hamilton didn't show him the wheel and Massa had every right to the corner. Hamilton braked before Massa for the turn but still tried to go through on a line that didn't exist.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Massa and Hamilton need to get into a boxing ring. Last man standing gets free over takes for the next season...

Taken from @grandprixdiary one of his Saturday tweets about the grid positions. Looks like Hamilton followed the solid green line... :whistling:

Mr Beans reaction was awesome and I wish he could be at every F1 race :lol:.

@ Ron to counter your editorial ;).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula ... 524577.stm
Martin Brundle column: India a huge success for F1

Of course, I also have to discuss Lewis Hamilton's latest adventures.

His three-place grid penalty for not lifting off while passing yellow caution flags - along with Sauber's Sergio Perez - was pretty cut and dried. Hamilton had the DRS rear wing overtaking aid open, seeking out more speed, and put his hand up straight away for that.

In the race, he came together with Massa's Ferrari yet again.

After contact in Monaco, Silverstone, Singapore and Suzuka there really is some serious bad blood now between those two, and I think that may have contributed to this latest episode.

Hamilton was clearly faster at this stage of the race and a great exit from Turn Four saw him moving partly alongside Massa.

What is significant here is that Turn Five is a fifth-gear sweeping left-hander with limited braking, and hard enough to get right one at a time.

Massa was penalised for the subsequent contact because he was looking in his mirror and so was deemed to have seen the other car.

That is nonsense - at 180mph, you have to look in your mirror and make a split-second judgement call as to whether it is your corner or not depending on exactly where the other car is.

I wrote this column on the plane back from Delhi and around me were drivers and team principals, along with other people I respect, and nobody can understand the Massa drive-through penalty.

I stand by my instant call in the commentary box that it was a racing incident - as Hamilton himself described it.

Massa should have left more room but Hamilton should have eased out of the throttle - in that particular bend. There is no point in risking another front-wing change there unless you are fully alongside and have claimed the corner.

I agree with Brundle, Coulthard and Hamilton. It was a racing incident. I reckon the Stewards saw Mr Beans expression and high tailed it out of there allowing him to dish out the penalty... :P

It was a good race.

*edit*

For me the real story is this:

Why is Felipe's wing flexing so much? Why has Mclaren not gone crying to the FIA like they did with Red Bull? It happened both during free practice and the race. Also I am pretty sure I saw Alonso's wing do the same thing at around about lap 17.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I am sure somebody will go off to the FIA soon to complain about Ferrari. But even with the massively flexible front wing the Ferrari is still behind both the Red Bull's and the McLaren's in raw pace. That is probably why nobody has run off to the FIA yet.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/formula ... 524661.stm
Deconstructing Lewis Hamilton v Felipe Massa crash

By Mark Hughes
BBC F1 commentary box producer

There are signs that the worst of Lewis Hamilton's crisis in form has passed - despite yet another collision with Ferrari's Felipe Massa in an otherwise lacklustre Indian Grand Prix.

Six times now the two men have clashed this year: at Monaco in both practice and race, in Singapore qualifying and race, in Japan and now in India. Hamilton and Massa do seem to be magnetically attracted.

Massa is not the only driver Hamilton has come together with this year - Williams's Pastor Maldonado and his own McLaren team-mate Jenson Button can be added to the list.

But if the previous incidents seemed to betray a certain lack of judgement for Hamilton, Sunday's collision would appear to be a much more straightforward racing incident.

In fact, Massa ended up with the drive-through penalty on this occasion, even if not everyone agreed this was a just outcome. Some felt it was Hamilton's fault, others that it was simply hard racing.

Read further as to why it is a racing incident and not a penalty. I fully agree with the article and I hope the Stewards will learn from this for the new season.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Lewis Hamilton IS BACK :D . Now I hope he stays this way.

From the moment I saw Vettel's Red Bull sliding off the track I jumped up and started cheering, then I cheered even more when he got to the pits and was forced to retire :lol: At that point I knew Hamilton would win it.......he must have been just as happy to see the Vettel suddenly disappear off the track. But even if Vettel did not have the problem I feel Hamilton would have won it........

Good job by Button again, even with his faulty KERS he managed 3rd :)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I don't like Hamilton. He probably stabbed Vettel's tyre before the race.
But even if Vettel did not have the problem I feel Hamilton would have won it........
The odds are against it.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

I am not so sure. The RBR was slow down the straights(not usually a problem) and not that much better in the corners. In fact the McLaren was rather fast in sector 3 which consists mainly of slow corners.....so I think he could have done it.

And Hamilton did no such thing :| ......it looked to me as if the tire pressures were just too low and the tire came off the rim, but I will need to find some slow motion replays to figure out what exactly happened.........
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I just think that individual performances have been a much bigger player this year and is a large part of the reason Vettel has been mostly unbeatable. Truth be told, car performance speaking, Hamilton and co "could have done it" a number of times during the season, but didn't. So, odds were against it imo.

I supported Hamilton when he won the championship, but since then he had turned to moaning about everything. He seems to be pulling himself together as of late, which is good and bodes well for another exciting season in 2012.

You are probably right about the tyre. I just like hazing Hamilton...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

KALSTER wrote:I just like hazing Hamilton...
So does everybody else these days :( . I have supported him since his GP2 days and no matter what he does I will continue to do so....unless he joins Ferrari that is.

2012 should be interesting just as long as the top teams all have very similar performance. I also hope Mercedes will join the party and not sit battling against themselves in the gap between the front 3 teams and the rest.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes Lewis is testing for Ferrari.....but it is Michael Lewis, not Lewis Hamilton :lol:
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Meh. So much for my baiting attempt. :P
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

:lol: not this time.....learnt from my mistakes I have
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

So I was watching highlights of a F1 race (Vettel made 200m before spinning out and retiring).
Can anyone please explain DRS to me cause I don't get it.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Simply it is a movable slot in the rear wing that opens up when you are within 1 second of the car in front, and within the DRS zone on the track. It is supposed to give you better straight line speed and thus an opportunity to overtake the car in front....and so far it has worked :)

Here is the the full explanation if you want: http://www.racecar-engineering.com/arti ... on-system/
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Problem is, its false overtaking :?. Also something that really peeved me off was that if you overtook in the first zone you got nailed in the second zone, so whats the point of having two zones? It was a good race but I really feel for all those drivers who were robbed in the second DRS zone and I cant understand for the life of me why those same drivers did not wait for the second zone... :? DRS needs some refinement in my eyes...

BTW I am really not liking Cricket having DRS and F1 having DRS really getting confused... :?
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

The lighter side of F1... :lol:

THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

:lol: Vettel sees all :lol:

And the way Brundle denies it kind of proves that something is going on :lol:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Not a bad race, but being the last race of the season I was rather sad :cry: . Nice to see Webber win :) and good job form Button at the end.......loved the pass on Alonso :D . Hamilton's race came to a sad end with the death of his gearbox.....Vettel also had gearbox issues but his gearbox held together for long enough to finish the race

I really enjoyed the season, there were some amazing races and very memorable moments.

Since this is the end let me dish out some personalised awards:

My Driver of the year: Jenson Button

Race of the year: Canadian GP(I will definitely find this race on you tube and watch it again)

Worst race of the year: Valencia/Monaco

Overtake of the year: Jenson Button taking the lead on the last lap in Canada(Because it was the most I have cheered the whole year)

Team of the year: Red Bull(sadly)

Best looking car: McLaren MP4-26

Best technical failure: Nick Heidfeld and his engine failure at the Hungarian GP

Most disappointing driver: Lewis Hamilton :cry: / Felipe Massa

Most disappointing team: Williams

Funniest moment: Fernando Alonso going backwards into the barrier and getting stuck on the kerb in Canada :lol:

I will think up some more....
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Driver of the year: Sebastian Vettel. Pretty much unstoppable.

Most improved driver: Jenson Button. All those who predicted that Hamilton would eat him and spit him out when he first joined McLaren should be eating humble pie right about now.

Race of the year: Canadian Grand Prix. The bit before the weather caused it to be red flagged was fairly uninteresting, but the racing that followed was nothing short of phenomenal.

Worst race of the year: Apparently Valencia and Abu Dhabi were generally borefests, although I didn't see either.

Overtake of the year: Absolutely no question - Mark Webber's overtake on Fernando Alonso around the outside of Eau Rouge. When you get David Coulthard stepping away from the commentary screen, fearing that the marshals would be picking up bits of Red Bull and Ferrari from the scenery for the next week... 'nuff said.

Best looking car: McLaren

Worst looking car: HRT. The world's fastest pick-up truck!

Best rookie: All of them did a pretty good job this year, although Sergio Perez would be my pick of the bunch. However, I will notably exclude...

Worst rookie: Pastor Maldonado. Yes, crap car, but the "road rage" incident with Lewis Hamilton in Spa qualifying does not help his cause.

Biggest disappointment: Lewis Hamilton's regression. Far too many stupid mistakes left us wondering what could have been.

Funniest moment: Rowan Atkinson's reaction to the Hamilton/Massa crash in India.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

@ Ron you and I think alike. I agree with pretty much all of that :).