White Water Rafting

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

White Water Rafting

Post by Prime »

So I have a 2 man raft.

Still need to get a paddle and helmets.

Anyway, my question is places (preferably in Gauteng) to do White water rafting :)
Sojourn

Re: White Water Rafting

Post by Sojourn »

The closest place in GP where you can find cat 2/3 rapids is on the vaalriver near Parys.

Otherwise your only real other options are the Orange River and the Breede River, best arranged via a 3rd party.
Word of advice, some areas of the rivers (mostly the best areas for rafting) are licensed out to businesses, you need to arrange to use those rapids and even if you have your own equipment, will be accompanied by a guide. The fee will also cover your rescue/ambulance/insurance if needed. Should you "ninja" a stint through one of those areas and they catch you, you will be fined badly.

Unless you want to paddle.... which you can do on Homestead or Faramere in the east / Florida Lake in the west / Emmerentia dam in the south.... for free.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Sojourn wrote:The closest place in GP where you can find cat 2/3 rapids is on the vaalriver near Parys..
Been there before, was good fun!
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

We went to a place near Hartbeespoort for a bachelors party recently. Its on the Krokodil river. I have no idea what category the rapids were.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Jonboy wrote:
Sojourn wrote:The closest place in GP where you can find cat 2/3 rapids is on the vaalriver near Parys..
Been there before, was good fun!
+1
Prime

Post by Prime »

Sojourn wrote:The closest place in GP where you can find cat 2/3 rapids is on the vaalriver near Parys.

Otherwise your only real other options are the Orange River and the Breede River, best arranged via a 3rd party.
Word of advice, some areas of the rivers (mostly the best areas for rafting) are licensed out to businesses, you need to arrange to use those rapids and even if you have your own equipment, will be accompanied by a guide. The fee will also cover your rescue/ambulance/insurance if needed. Should you "ninja" a stint through one of those areas and they catch you, you will be fined badly.

Unless you want to paddle.... which you can do on Homestead or Faramere in the east / Florida Lake in the west / Emmerentia dam in the south.... for free.
Thanks. Will prob pull it out and take it to emmies for a practice run then. I'll see if I can find the details to the place on the vaal online.

I'm surprised they are allowed to fine you, I'd have thought that (major) waterways count as public property.
GreyWolf wrote:We went to a place near Hartbeespoort for a bachelors party recently. Its on the Krokodil river. I have no idea what category the rapids were.
There should be a few out that way. :plotting:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:We went to a place near Hartbeespoort for a bachelors party recently. Its on the Krokodil river. I have no idea what category the rapids were.
Grade 1/2 if it's the place I'm aware of.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I have done the Vaal near Parys = absolutely fantastic. Can give you details if you are interested. We did it as a Christmas function last year
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I personally read this kind of thing and stay away from the Vaal below the confluence with the Klip river.... :?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey