2010 Soccer World Cup

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2010 Soccer World Cup

Post by Tel »

Did anyone else see those two Japan freekick goals...amazing stuff!
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So who was it that was predicting an all South American final? That's looking pretty accurate right now.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah Brazil vs Argentina is what I see...

Argentina FTW!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

In 2006 France and Italy met in the World Cup Final in Berlin. In 2010 they met at the airport in Johannesburg.
ADT

Post by ADT »

ryanrich wrote:Yeah Brazil vs Argentina is what I see...

Argentina FTW!

:x
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Go Germany! 2-0 :mrgreen:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Wow, German engineering where you need it most on a football field! :mrgreen:

I hope they take it all the way to the final. Will be nice to see a European team there. Would be nice to see Germany : Netherlands, but let's take it one step at a time. :P
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit,
fuer das deutsche Vaterland!
Danach lasst uns alle streben,
bruederlich mit Herz und Hand!
Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit,
sind des Glueckes Unterpfand.
Blueh im Glanze dieses Glueckes,
bluehe deutsches Vaterland!

Sorry to England for the Lampard goal not given. Worst ref decision I have seen this whole world cup...
However GO GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

fallen_angel wrote:Sorry to England for the Lampard goal not given. Worst ref decision I have seen this whole world cup...
However GO GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
Ja, wouldn't have mattered in the end.
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

Thomas Müller and Mesut Özil are 'the next big thing' for Germany. But the evening belonged to Müller.... Lampard had my nerves running amok a few times but bad luck was on his side today

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The referees from this Cup will be remembered for a long time to come.
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

I think a few of them are added to someones hitlist

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Man, the Argentina/Mexico game was amazing. The first goal that Argentina got was MILES offsides, but they still got it. Nevertheless, their next two goals were good ones, and Mexico's goal was a good one too.

Really, really good game :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen in a world cup. I actually can't believe in this day and age they don't use the technology available to them. It's as if FIFA has already decided who is playing in the finals and are rigging the games to match their agenda. Even before the world cup started this was going on, just go back to France vs Ireland in the qualifiers and Henry's handball. Ai ai ai...
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:Worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen in a world cup. I actually can't believe in this day and age they don't use the technology available to them. It's as if FIFA has already decided who is playing in the finals and are rigging the games to match their agenda. Even before the world cup started this was going on, just go back to France vs Ireland in the qualifiers and Henry's handball. Ai ai ai...
They don't even need a 4th ref, just replay the incident on the jumbotron in slow mo...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:Worst refereeing decisions I've ever seen in a world cup. I actually can't believe in this day and age they don't use the technology available to them. It's as if FIFA has already decided who is playing in the finals and are rigging the games to match their agenda. Even before the world cup started this was going on, just go back to France vs Ireland in the qualifiers and Henry's handball. Ai ai ai...
We were actually talking about this last night while watching the game. How on earth is it that they don't have sensors and stuff in the goals? I mean, England freaking SCORED yesterday, but that goal was stolen from them. Had they used some sensors or something, they'd have had that goal. And it's not like these sensors are expensive, I mean, we use these things on our gates.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yup, there are many options that they could go for. I mean the linesman was about 20 yards behind the German goal line and he is the person who is supposed to judge whether it was over the line or not, that's just unacceptable.

FIFA keep saying that using such technology will take away the essence of the game, but if you look at how much acting and diving goes on the game is already completely different to 20 years ago.

If it was once or twice then maybe it wouldn't be such a problem, but I mean yesterday there were two pretty shocking decisions in two high profile games right after each other. At least both teams who won deserved to win in the end...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

ryanrich wrote:At least both teams who won deserved to win in the end...
Ra-men!

Lots of England supporters seemed to miss the fact that despite being robbed of one goal, England lost by three. And they also lost to a superior team on the day. Ditto the Mexicans,

Although I do feel the essence of the game is being lost to actors and cheats on the field. We'll probably get some essence back when certain players can be assured of punishment for their shenanigans.
Look at cricket, it's a sport with a bunch of stuffy old codgers in charge who had the same opinion of technology at the beginning.
Now days they use as much technology as they can and all it does is make the game more fair and makes the umpires job easier.

There's no reason it wont have the same effect in soccer.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Agreed 100%.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Argentina vs Germany on Saturday, now that's what I'm talkin' bout... :twisted:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

ryanrich wrote:Argentina vs Germany on Saturday, now that's what I'm talkin' bout... :twisted:
Yeah, I can't wait for that one. I'm an Argentina supporter, through and through. I really hope Messi gets to score a freaking goal though. That poor guy has had SOOOO many great attempts.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Crime in South Africa is at an all time high during the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Yesterday two teams were robbed while still on the field of play by a gang known as "The Officials."
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

S-TV wrote:The millions of football fans worldwide who believe that FIFA president Sepp Blatter is against modern technology could not be further from the truth. Though resisting the introduction of goal-line monitors that could have prevented the mistakes that cost England and Mexico so dearly on Sunday, the 74-year old has already shown that old dogs and new tricks are not always mutually exclusive.

The day before the World Cup began, Blatter announced that he was joining the world of twitter and would be regularly tweeting his views on the world game and updating his fans about his day-to-day business.

Nobody expected the man to be a Bridget Jones or even a 21st century Adrian Mole but his tweets so far have been entertaining enough. A man of the people, Blatter had made a lot of noise about how he alone had brought the World Cup to Africa and it was refreshing to read of the ordinary people he was encountering on a daily basis. Slovenia president Danilo Turk, Mayor of London Boris Johnson, New Zealand prime minister John Key and even retired former politician Bill Clinton have been lucky enough to meet the FIFA chief this month.

Sadly, it’s all gone a bit quiet on the Blatter front in the last 24 hours. On Sunday morning he tweeted: “Leaving for Bloemfontein for the next chapter in a match which has created World Cup history - 66, 70, 90 and 2010”. Since then, not a tweet has been heard.

The cynical will no doubt suggest that he has gone into hiding after an England goal was ruled out that afternoon and a clearly offside Argentina goal was allowed to stand against Mexico. STV Sport has a hunch about what might have gone wrong and thinks that such accusations are probably wide of the mark.

Like many who quickly embrace new technology, Blatter had forgotten to read up on the basics. Somewhere between leaving his hotel and arriving at the Germany v England game his phone ran out of battery, leaving him cut off from the Twitterverse. At the precise moment that Frank Lampard’s shot was bouncing two feet behind the German goal-line, the Swiss bureaucrat was wandering the corridors of the Free State stadium asking staff “if anyone has a charger for a Nokia N95?”

Sources have revealed that, although the problem was solved in time for the evening match, another hitch prevented Blatter from answering the thousands of questions being sent his way through social media. As Carlos Tevez nodded in Argentina’s opener from an offside position, Blatter, head in hands, was heard to mutter something about “having forgotten to top up his Pay As You Go” before leaving Switzerland.

The FIFA president, never short to court attention, was apparently beside himself with frustration at missing out on what was being said about him online. The watching world had seen the problems at the World Cup and were already rallying to offer him constructive advice.

“Global Foot 2Day” had kindly asked if Blatter was ok, tweeting: “ @seppblatter How's your day going buddy? Lots of people seem to be upset with you. You think you have any idea why? You are the new BP!!”

Schofe, unaware that Africa is only a different continent, sent the message: “Hello @seppblatter I'm going to shout because you are clearly on another planet... DO YOU SEE WHY THE TECHNOLOGY IS REQUIRED??!!!”

Jeroen 37 sensed that the man may have been under a little pressure and sent a wonderful message of support: “Thank you dear @SeppBlatter for not allowing technology, you were right there is no need for it. Why not add another 2 referees in 2014?”

Sadly other messages, which at one point were being tweeted at a rate of more than 1000 an hour, were largely negative.

When Blatter arrives home and sorts his phone out, he will undoubtedly take action. FIFA have already responded to complaints about the Adidas Jabulani ball or, as it is referred to in FIFA circles , “someone else’s mistake”.

“We are not deaf,” secretary general Jerome Valcke revealed. “Fifa is not unreceptive about what has been said about the ball.”

Not deaf, but for the time being strictly incommunicado, Blatter will no doubt set matters straight when he gets his faulty phone upgraded. Either that or he will ignore the calls for change and only tweet again to let us know he has granted Nelson Mandela an audience. We’ll have to wait and see but the curious can join the 38,000 currently following @seppblatter and tell the twit all about the power of technology.
Now THAT'S how news should be reported!

:lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Do Gaming wrote:Ah, the sweet sound of the vuvuzela. There's really nothing like it. And for those that agree, David Rutter, producer for FIFA 11, has announced that gamers can upload their own custom sounds into the game, meaning that vuvuzela fans can upload a clip of their beloved instrument in the game and add some more South African flavour to their game of FIFA 11. Who wouldn't want that?

Gamers can upload anything from the sound of the vuvuzela to Homer Simpson screaming 'doh!', so that everytime they perform some other action on FIFA 11 their own customised sound will play.

And if you want to go hi-tech, dump the plastic vuvuzela and be a vuvuzela iPhone groupy with a iPhone vuvuzela application.

The application shows a number of different coloured vuvuzelas on-screen, which play when users tap on them. It's hugely popular and has already been downloaded 750,000 times.

The vuvuzela is taking the world by storm, whether people like it or not. Sainsbury, a retailer in the UK, says it has already sold 40,000 units of the plastic horn and expects to sell around 75,000 by the end of the tournament.

Meanwhile, reports are also saying that 1.5 million units of the instrument has sold in Europe. Vuvuzela ringtones are also being downloaded by the truck loads.

Or get a free Vuvuzela ringtone courtesy of iGeek. Enjoy!

And no, no news on Vuvuzela Hero just yet.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Brazil FTW :mrgreen:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~