2010 Soccer World Cup

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: 2010 Soccer World Cup

Post by ryanrich »

Good game I must say. Dunga's critics are having to retract those words of doubt very quickly...

Tonight should be good as well, Spain vs Portugal!
ADT

Post by ADT »

ryanrich wrote:Good game I must say. Dunga's critics are having to retract those words of doubt very quickly...

Tonight should be good as well, Spain vs Portugal!

Yeah..I rate it should be a Epic one, who you supporting tonight Ryan?
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I dunno really... I like a lot of the Spanish players like Villa, Pique, Torres, Xavi, Alonso, so I'd have to go with them. The Portuguese should put up a good fight though...
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Porto LOSS :( wow an upset
Temporary Absence
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah, they were just completely outplayed. Bring on the quarters! :D
ADT

Post by ADT »

The Sight of Cristiano Ronaldo crying.... was a LOLZ :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

ADT wrote:The Sight of Cristiano Ronaldo crying.... was a LOLZ :lol:
+1 :) I hate that guy.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anthro wrote:Porto LOSS :( wow an upset
They lost to Spain. Not so much an upset imo.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Stuart wrote:
Anthro wrote:Porto LOSS :( wow an upset
They lost to Spain. Not so much an upset imo.
+1 Current Fifa rankings:

#1: Brazil
#2: Spain
#3: Portugal
#4: Netherlands

So no upset, just lost to a better team. I'm hoping for a Dutch upset on Friday at 4pm, going to be a cracker!
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

From what I saw last night, Spain can play a VERY good game. Their passing in particular really impressed me, was almost as if they had Velcro on their boots, the ball just stuck to them.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
naughty

Post by naughty »

GreyWolf wrote:From what I saw last night, Spain can play a VERY good game. Their passing in particular really impressed me, was almost as if they had Velcro on their boots, the ball just stuck to them.
whats new about that - they have been doing that for the last two years - in fact they won the Euro's doing just that

in fact it would have only been an upset if portugal beat spain - Brazil and Spain were favorites going into the beginning of the world cup
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

naughty wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:From what I saw last night, Spain can play a VERY good game. Their passing in particular really impressed me, was almost as if they had Velcro on their boots, the ball just stuck to them.
whats new about that - they have been doing that for the last two years - in fact they won the Euro's doing just that

in fact it would have only been an upset if portugal beat spain - Brazil and Spain were favorites going into the beginning of the world cup
Last night was the first time I watched Spain play since the LAST world cup, so please forgive my ignorance.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

They certainly know how to hold onto the ball, but I suspect that they'll have to change their game plan when they come up against a more attacking team like Brazil or Argentina. They can't just pass the ball around and hope for a goal eventually. They'll need to attack, or they will find themselves having to come from behind pretty quickly.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

MSN Sports wrote:Scientists who have analysed the controversial Jabulani ball have concluded that the World Cup ball may simply be too round to fly straight.

AFP reports that experts believe that when it comes to the Jabulani ball, perfect may not be good enough.

Spain's Iker Casillas has dissed it as "rotten," while Italy's top goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon tagged it as "unpredictable."

Julio Cesar of Brazil suggested he could do better buying a ball in a supermarket

. "Part of the problem may be that "the stitches of the Jabulani are internal, so the ball resembles a perfect sphere," said Eric Berton, deputy director of the Institute of the Science of Movement in Marseille, France.

In other sports - tennis, golf or baseball - the balls have irregularities precisely to insure a more stable and controlled trajectory. The ridges or exposed seams are what make possible spin in tennis or a curveball pitch in baseball.

Despite the Jabulani's so-called 'grip'n'grove' texturing, however, the ball apparently doesn't behave in the same way.

"Because of the shape, the time of contact with the foot is reduced," said Berton.

"As a consequence, it practically doesn't spin. The ball travels a little less far, and will have a floating and unpredictable trajectory, whether for a striker or a goalkeeper," added Berton.

Wind-tunnel tests conducted by Kazuya Seo of Yamagata and Takeshi Asai University in Tsukuba also found that the machine-made Jabulani was close to a perfect sphere, and has a tendency to slow suddenly in mid-flight - a disconcerting characteristic for footballers.

Australian scientist Derek Leinweber, based at Adelaide University, concluded after a series of computer tests that the ball goes faster and is more unpredictable than its predecessors.

"That means the goalkeeper can no longer really anticipate its trajectory," he said.

The Jabulani - "allows for maximum control, stable flight and perfect grip under all conditions," FIFA said in unveiling the controversial ball.

The ball is constructed of eight thermally-bonded polyurethane panels, and is very nearly waterproof.

Adidas has defended its product.

"There are strict FIFA guidelines on the ball (weight, size, bounce depending on what the temperature is).

"Not only does our ball fulfill all these conditions but in fact they go beyond them," commented the German company.
naughty

Post by naughty »

GreyWolf wrote:
naughty wrote:

Last night was the first time I watched Spain play since the LAST world cup, so please forgive my ignorance.
it isnt ignorance under those circumstances - but in the qualifiers, Spain have pretty much been playing the Barcelona way and Portugal despite their world ranking have not being too great under Carlos Quieroz's rule - he may even be regretting leaving the majorly successful stint he had going as second-in-command at Man united to take over the helm at Portugal again

but the fact that Spain are playing such brilliant football at the moment does not mean that they are unbeatable - its now all at a stage where one lapse of concentration can lose you the tournament - and their loss to USA in the confederations cup was i think the one loss in the last 40 games they played or something to that effect - considering you have only around 10 to 12 international matches per year - thats a lot of games won right there and thats why they were second favorites to Brazil coming into the world cup ..... also my memories of them are not only from the recent qualifiers - (i watched most of those that supersport showed) but also their dominant demolition of all before them in the euro's - they seem to be an almost unbeatable team and it was a huge shock to everyone when they lost to switzerland in their opening game of the world cup group stages

Portugal under Quiroz has had its ups and downs recently - but more downs in fact than up because Christiano Ronaldo definitely was not producing for country as well as he did for club - but thats more because at club level the club is being set up to play to his strengths and centering around feeding him the ball whereas i notice that with Portugal all the other so-called "almost" stars basically ignore him and prefer to try to make their own name for themselves - at the expense most of the time of having far fewer goals scored hence losing and drawing games that they could have easily won had they changed their attitude to their best player

in this Spain vs Portugal game too it irritated me no end when the commentator kept banging on about how anonymous Christiano Ronaldo was - well you would be anonymous too if your team mates did not pass to you when they had the opportunity to do so ..... so every run you make and each time you created space for yourself or had space where you had one man only to beat was wasted - but they passed the ball to you when you had to beat an entire back line of 4 men then got mad that you couldnt do that

its the exact same reason why England lost - the formation wasnt set up for Wayne Rooneys strengths and then they banged on about what a great player he is and how he was going to demolish everyone but when you have guys like gerrard and lampard who also want to be superstars themselves and would rather make that "hollywood" style run into the box and not pass you the ball or take a pot shot from 50 yards out instead, then what are you going to do - everyone goes on about how these stars are not performing but the honest fact is they would be marked out of the game hence i think it was a game-plan of the coaches to use them as red herrings and leave them being double marked while that created space for others to play - and in most instances this plan backfired because the supporting players simply were not good enough to do the job these guys were not allowed to do in the first place

BTW the centre of midfield for spain is the Xavi/Iniesta combo which is the strongest midfield pairing in world football right now - they are the reason why Barca has been so successful becasue they control the midfield with those short triangular passing movements combined with Messi - but despite Messi not being there for them - Spain uses this combination to the fullest anyway with the various other midfielders they have - its the main reason why Cesc Fabregas despite also being considered a brilliant attacking central midfielder cant even get a game right now - so imagine what happens if he leaves arsenal to go to Barca he will only get a game when one of those guys is injured - whereas at arsenal he is team captain and will always be the first name on the team sheet - so it makes me think his proposed move is a waste of time cause he will become another expensive benchwarmer and its the main reason why Barcelona claim they dont want to pay over the odds for him
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

naughty said:
BTW the centre of midfield for spain is the Xavi/Iniesta combo which is the strongest midfield pairing in world football right now - they are the reason why Barca has been so successful becasue they control the midfield with those short triangular passing movements combined with Messi - but despite Messi not being there for them - Spain uses this combination to the fullest anyway with the various other midfielders they have - its the main reason why Cesc Fabregas despite also being considered a brilliant attacking central midfielder cant even get a game right now - so imagine what happens if he leaves arsenal to go to Barca he will only get a game when one of those guys is injured - whereas at arsenal he is team captain and will always be the first name on the team sheet - so it makes me think his proposed move is a waste of time cause he will become another expensive benchwarmer and its the main reason why Barcelona claim they dont want to pay over the odds for him
I could not agree more, I cannot understand why he is so keen to go to Barcelona, maybe he just misses the bullfights and his Spanish friends?
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Thanks for the insight naughty, and I would have to agree.
- H. L. Mancken
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Netherlands
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Anthro »

2:1 !!! Niiiice
Hup Hup !!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkT8h93HU0g[/youtube]
Temporary Absence
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Dutchmen FTW!! :mrgreen:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
Forum Points: 25 618 :)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So what were the Dutch doing in the box at the end there?
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

lol

Paris Hilton has been arrested for smoking dope in PE.....Now I want to see what happens to her here will she get a fine or jail time here in South Africa or be extradited......

How freaking dumb do you have to be to smoke weed at a world cup match....when police is on high alert.Seriously I hope she gets time in South African jail and with the special world cup court Judgment will be swift if it even gets there....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Oh my word, what a fantastic game. Those teams were so well matched.

The Ghanain goal was incredible, and Forlan's free kick was a masterpiece.

Suarez - the hero of Uruguay and the bane of humanity, seriously did Ghana in there. It was their game, they actually won it fair and square. A red card was awarded, but the goal should have been awarded too, bastid.

Still, mega respect for Ghana, they played a great game.
to ápeiro anima
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Anthro »

Damn hand ball.
In rugby, they would have been awarded some points. !
Well played Ghana

---Sings Mama Africa, Doctor Victor-->>
Temporary Absence