2010 Soccer World Cup

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: 2010 Soccer World Cup

Post by hamin_aus »

KALSTER wrote:Go home Uruguay.
Shame. They still have the 3rd place playoff in PE...

I think Forlan played his heart out for his country. I feel bad for him - despite his 2 goals against SA and his countries less than sporting quarter-final.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It would have made for an interesting game if they didn't have so many players on suspension and they kept Forlan on till the end.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

I actually prefer when teams sub a new striker in the last few minutes. Sometimes a fresh pair of legs can get past a tired defender...

I think Suarez's handball got Uruguay into the semi's and doomed them to defeat at the same time. I think if he was playing last night it would have been a different game. There was about a half hour in the match where Netherlands were not doing anything right and Uruguay should have capitalised on that.

But that said, I am very happy with the result and I'm hoping for a Germany vs Netherlands final!
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I think Forlan played his heart out for his country. I feel bad for him - despite his 2 goals against SA and his countries less than sporting quarter-final.
Ok, me too. So then, everyone go home, except for Forlan. :|
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Spain have to win tonight I have money on them
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tiza wrote:Spain have to win tonight I have money on them
Then I fear that you, sir, are not a wise steward of your material wealth.
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Spain won baby. Anyone heard of the squid that predicts who is gona win and is almost always right? He chose Spain and is clearly a wise Squid
I am a guy so please people stop sending me these shady pm's and start playing computer games or bodybuilding. Forums aren't a good place to get chicks the gym is...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Germany were totally outplayed here...
What happened to the side that destroyed Argentina?
Oh well, Netherlands vs Spain
naughty

Post by naughty »

jamin_za wrote:Germany were totally outplayed here...
What happened to the side that destroyed Argentina?
Oh well, Netherlands vs Spain
they were not outplayed - the match was going according to to a format that i expected - germany dropped back and defended deep whilst spain just dominated the midfield as well as possession which is very normal - what i did not expect was that spain would score the one goal of the game and that was purely down to determination at a time that it mattered instead of skill

the thing though is that whenever germany were successful in their usual counter attacks it was Iker Cassilas that kept spain in the game all the time - he made some blinder saves and IMHO he is STILL a terrific keeper

it was always going to be tight because tactically these two teams really do cancel each other out and as usual its always going to one goal that separates them and it had to go to the side that attacked more - germany only really started making forward strides after they conceded the goal and they didnt try to be positive until it was too late - their forwards were totally isolated because they never had the ball in midfield and in fact their midfield players sat very deep which in this instance was too negative - result was that they couldnt really get the ball away from free passing spain so that they could mount their usual devastating counter attacks - also they really really missed the talents of Thomas Muller

either way i now reckon that spain has the upper hand in the final cos they are still the best side in europe and they have now proved it more than once ie beat germany in the finals of the euro's and again in this semi-final - im not really convinced that the dutch have enough to overcome their spanish rivals now because looking at it player for player in every position i can only see advantage spain at almost every position

one thing i did notice today though is that David Villa seems to be tiring because he was very slow and lethargic today - this might be fatigue creeping in at this stage - this might help the dutch to keep him quite in the finals and i cant really spot a danger man from the dutch besides for Wesley Schneider who is having a blinder of a world cup - sadly for the dutch - Van persie isnt getting much of a look in though i wont deny that he has the capability but he is going to be tightly marked ..... Kuyt has also been useful in some of these games but again i dont see him actually scoring - maybe setting one or two up for someone else .... maybe

from spains side - dumping torres and putting in pedro was a good move for the most part but there was an instance where pedro made a break with 10 minutes to play and all he had to do was pass it to the left and torres would have surely scored but the young lad was instead already reading the potential newspaper headlines were he to score so he tried to go it on his own and fluffed his lines - as a result i cant see him starting as a punishment and a demonstration that its teamwork that will get you into the team and not individual brilliance (sadly though in this instance rather a lack of that particular attribute) - so i wont be surprised if they throw in Cesc from the start if he is fit .... if he isnt torres will surely start because each run he makes draws a defender or two away from David Villa and that guy is right now slow enough to need every advantage he can get so the fewer players marking him the better for spain - so even when torres doesnt score he has the pace to make opposing defenders scared or he frees up space for the other strikers and thats been important up to now for spain

all my ramblings above notwithstanding its still going to be a terrific final on sunday and i for one cant wait for it and as it stands im neutral on the result ...... i dont care who wins as long as i watch good football

edit : forgot to mention that despite germany losing my favorite player of the tournament so far was Mesut Ozil anyway - and most of the premier league scouts seem to agree since already chelsea and united are joining the queue of clubs wanting to sign him on and the gunners seem to have already made an offer of 20 million quid :shock: (thats got to be a record amount for Arsene Wenger to be offering for a player) ..... and im also kind of sad for Miroslav Klose that he wont get a chance to break (fat) Ronaldo's record for total number of goals scored at world cups - but at least he is matching Gerd Mueller's German record
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

naughty wrote: ..... and im also kind of sad for Miroslav Klose that he wont get a chance to break (fat) Ronaldo's record for total number of goals scored at world cups - but at least he is matching Gerd Mueller's German record
He still has a chance - there's the third place play-off on Saturday. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
naughty

Post by naughty »

He still has a chance - there's the third place play-off on Saturday.
ah yes ..... forgot about that - i was actually chatting to someone who is apparently going to that

thanks for the headsup

it would be nice if he does score two goals because he may not get to play in the next world cup - besides who wants to wait four years just to score one goal or two :P
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

The reason why Germany lost is because...

http://www.dailytech.com/Brain+Parasite ... e18959.htm
Brain Parasite May Influence World Cup Victories, Researchers Say
Tiffany Kaiser - July 7, 2010 5:05 PM

But it is likely a coincidence

For years, scientists have formulated factors that could predict the results of the World Cup. They've taken everyday economical and historical scenarios, like the state of the economy, and developed statistics to show that a good economy causes the success of a particular team in the World Cup. But now, a scientist has found a new connection between World Cup results and a brain parasite found in cats.

Neuroscientist Patrick House has found that the Toxoplasma gondii parasite, which is commonly found in the stomach of a cat because that is the only place it can reproduce, making its way into the human brain has affected the results of World Cup games.

"In the knockout round of this year's tournament, eight out of eight winners so far have been the teams whose countries had higher rates of Toxo infection," said House. "If we go back to the 2006 World Cup, seven out of eight knockout round winners could be predicted by higher Toxo rates. The one exception to the rule was Brazil's defeat of Ghana, a match between two nations that each have very high rates."

But House's reasoning for believing in this correlation doesn't end at World Cup wins. He also found another striking coincidence in which the teams are ranked.

"It get's better," House said. "Rank the top 25 FIFA team countries by Toxo rate and you get, in order from the top: Brazil (67 percent), Argentina (52 percent), France (45 percent), Spain (44 percent) and Germany (43 percent). Collectively, these are the teams responsible for eight of the last 10 World Cup overall winners. Spain, the only one of the group never to have won a cup, is no subpar outlier -- the Spaniards have the most World Cup victories of any perpetual runner-up."

House isn't sure why this parasite could make a soccer player better at his sport, but does mention that it's probably a coincidence and offers that "it's a parasite and can do whatever it wants."
They did not eat enough cats... :whistling:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I did not read all that :oops: but except for the few almost goals for Spain and the one - it was a boring match. I was really disappointed in Germany.
naughty

Post by naughty »

but except for the few almost goals for Spain and the one - it was a boring match. I was really disappointed in Germany.
come come tribble - its only boring if you only watch the game for the goals - but then you could say that 99% of the game is then boring because even in a game with 6 or 7 goals that would take only a few moments in each game

the idea about football is not the goals themselves - its how you reach getting those goals - the fascination is in the tactics employed - the personnel employed and it can be likened to chess partially - the cleverer team can easily beat the more energetic one that can only run about like headless chickens

i found the game to be far more entertaining than those boring one sided displays when the germans just emulated their world war two panzer tanks and rode roughshod over all in their path - that was just boring because it was an instance of when running like headless chickens just got them the goals

when they came across people who could apply some thought to the whole process they fell flat on their faces - spain loves to play by dominating the ball and if you have the ball all the time then the opposition cannot score - and if you probe enough then even the strongest defence can reveal weaknesses so you can convert all your dominance and possession into the goals that most fans crave to see

but football has never been and never will be a hugely scoring sport unless they start give a thousand points for a goal just to make it seem like a high scoring game

as for the fascination with goals - its like any sport that ive played for example every snooker player will strive to hit a maximum 147 break but the sad fact is that it only wins you one frame of snooker and even guys who score maximums in a match go on to lose the match - the parrallel in soccer is that one goal wins you match just as well as 4 goals can :wink: and you wont win a match because you scored 4 goals in your last match

to me it wasnt boring ..... i enjoyed it - this was one of those matches that was triumph of substance over style because when you have two closely and very evenly matched opponents it takes very little to make one of them win over the other - and maybe it wasnt full of swashbuckling displays of bravado but it was closer to the very essence of cup football where one mistake costs you the game and theres very high stakes involved in that one mistake so its like a cat and mouse situation till someone breaks

in games that matter this is more like what you will get most of the time - the vast majority of football isnt of the 10 nil and 12 nil variety unless you have totally mismatched teams playing ie for example Brazil's proper starting 11 playing a team thats probably ranked number 1000 in the world

in the same breath a clever school team could give even the mighty brazil a scare that makes them wet their pants given that the school team has a good coach and half decent players even if they are all 16 years old :P
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote: They did not eat enough cats... :whistling:
Should have been an all Asian final then.
Tiza

Post by Tiza »

Predictions:

Germany 3 - 1
Spain 2 -1 or hopefully it will be a crazy penalty shootout but Spain will still win!!!!
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Naaah Spain are not going to win and the Octopus is going to be lathered in lemon butter.

@naughty - I bow to your knowledge of the game, but here is my take on it. I wanted Germany to win that one. What I saw was a team that could barely hold onto the ball. Even in the match against Uruguay, I felt they were out classed. Had it not been for Uru's bad play - I would have swapped sides. Perhaps I do not understand the finer points of ballplay but my feeling is they missed a lot of possible goals in both matches because they waited too long before passing or trying to score. When they did kick towards the goal - they misjudged and put the ball too wide or too high. That is not skill or style. I got the feeling that nerves or arrogance brought them down - they lacked the experience to perform well under pressure. But I am no expert - this is just how it seemed to me.

And for tonight - I am hoping for a Netherlands win. Though - in their last games, I feel that they won more on luck rather than because they were the better team. Yes - at this level one would expect most of the teams to be of similar caliber when it comes to skill. Watching the game against Uruguay, I saw a team struggle to get through Uru's defenses. Spain - on the other hand - struggled against Germany, who I felt were not playing their best. So that leads me to believe that Ned do stand a better chance of winning (no matter what the squid says - besides - I think he just likes Spain's colours). :P

So - as the ultimate optimist - I believe Netherlands stands a very very good chance of winning.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Tribble wrote:Had it not been for Uru's bad play - I would have swapped sides.
Tribble wrote:(no matter what the squid says - besides - I think he just likes Spain's colours)
The two things I am SO sick of hearing about.

Someone eat the friggin octopus already. I also suspect he goes for the more attractive flag. Psychic se voet!

And as for Uruguay's cheating . . . get over it already people! It happened, and Suarez got the punishment for it. The handball did NOT cost Ghana the game. Quite the opposite: It gifted them a golden opportunity to win with the closing kick. They fluffed it themselves. And they fluffed the penalty shootout that followed. Quit blaming Suarez for Ghana's inability to finish their opposition.

I'll prolly support Netherlands tonight. The Spanish are too full of bull. :P
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh mousey - I am not talking about the dirty play in the Ghana match - but in the match last night. I have not seen so many people knocked down or bashed into, as those poor Germans were. And yes - I know it was pouring with rain but then one would assume the Germans would have had as many collisions with the Uruguayan players. That was not the case.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Can't say I saw any particularly dirty play last night.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Watch it again - there were some nasty things going on there. But then again - I could be wrong ;-)
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Well, it's all over.

Here's what I think:

I'm absolutely DISGUSTED in how freaking dirty the Dutch played tonight. Man, they played terrible soccer. Spain deserved the win; no doubt.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Spain - on the other hand - struggled against Germany, who I felt were not playing their best
and you know that Germany didnt play at their best .... how? - its a matter of when you play opposition thats as good as you are or better then you cannot play your normal game - the spanish never ever allow any other team to dictate the game and in Euro 2008 a more experienced and better (IMHO) germany side were still beaten 1-0 by the exact same spanish side you saw there
this is just how it seemed to me
sure but remember most of the time appearances can be deceiving - what seemed boring to you, to me was as fascinating as a game of chess - it wasnt anywhere near as boring as a one sided display of dominance can land up being when a favoured team just keeps on bombarding the opposition goal - there was an ebb and a flow to the game with neither side being dominant but both excelling at their strong points and trying to search out their oppositions weaknesses with strategy - the german strong point being defending - the germans are not attacking players - dont mistake playing on the counter as being attacking - its normally considered negative play ie usually 10 defenders behind the ball and only breaking occasionally on a counter to score quick goals that take the opposition by surprise - and if thats what you do you will be caught out by a side that retains possession of the ball and thats what spain excels at - hence the result between Germany and Spain was absolutely no surprise - how you describe the game is not what i saw at all - you have to look at why they missed those shots hopelessly above the bar or far wide and what the opposition did to make that happen or why they seemed to be hesitating when they had the ball ... maybe it was cos the opposition didnt allow them time to settle on the ball and make those killer passes that allowed quick counters and the opposition pressed them higher up in their own half thus pinning them back in their own half ..... its all those nuances that make a game and professional players get paid up to 150 thousand pounds per week because they need to be able to look at all of that and react to what the opposition does and "you and i" dont get that 150 thousand pounds per week cos all we do is watch those guys earning those wages :wink: :lol: :lol:
Tribble wrote:Watch it again - there were some nasty things going on there. But then again - I could be wrong ;-)
if you are talking about the final then with all due respect you are definitely wrong and talking from a point of view of wearing dutch tinted spectacles especially if as i suspect that you are unhappy about the dutch losing - yes Iniesta dived to get Johnny Heitinga sent off - and Puyol may have been doing a little pulling on Robben but he played the advantage anyway - and after deliberately staying on his feet and PLAYING THE ADVANTAGE he cannot call it back and ask for the foul and the free kick - he should have stopped playing and appealed or fallen down .... and he did neither - so whose fault is it? im pretty confident he would have just celebrated a goal had he continued on and scored instead of complaining .... he cant have it both ways .... there are already rules in existence for that situation which were applied to the letter of the law

but the thing is the dutch came onto the pitch to kick ankles and not a football - it was transparent from the very beginning - i give you one name in evidence ie Mark Von Bommel .... who deserves his very own award to be created ie the "dirtiest" player of the tournament and im not referring to the fact that he didnt have a bath before he appeared on the pitch :P - and since when did KARATE or KUNG-FU become a sub-sport of football ...... yes im looking at you Nigel De Jong :roll: - ive watched the game twice already and the only incorrect decision made there was Heitinga's sending off cos Iniesta kind of dived there but it was just payment for the tactics that the dutch employed which was to try and kick the smaller Spanish players off the park for almost the entire game :evil:

as for the nasty things going on there was more from the dutch side than from the Spanish side even though both sides were guilty of wrongdoing and as a neutral all i can say is that the better side on the day won - and all the moaning and whining from the dutch is just "sour grapes" and absolutely nothing else - both sides did a lot of nonsense and the ref did very well in a game where the players ALL mostly acted like whining school brats and it didnt seem like a world cup final but more like a school cup final

if you were talking about the Germany vs Spain game then you are even more wrong - as i said the style of play of both sides dictated those results - everyone was just getting carried away with a few surprising results from the Germans - and when an opposing coach finally sat down and bothered to sort out the proper tactics to use against them after looking at the style they play with all their new young players it is evident that those three or four surprise games is about all that particular team is going to manage to win spectacularly on the world stage - cos now most other sides will draw from the Spanish example and know how to play against "ZE GERMANS" ...... dont get me wrong they will still probably win cos they have a bunch of talented kids coming through - but not so many more "4 nils and More nils" :wink: and they will find it difficult against other highly rated rivals - Euro 2012 will reveal all as i think that the Germans will not be having such an easy ride there :wink: ..... now that the world cup is over roll on the 2010/2011 league season - i cant wait for it to get under way
no matter what the squid says
i am now convinced that the squid understands football better than all of us :P .... maybe the squid is just Dalek Caan in disguise and can see all of time and space - which is why he knows everything :wink:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

LOL @ naughty. I had been talking about the Germany vs Spain game. You make some interesting points (and they are probably valid too). I still felt that they (the Germans) were holding back and not breaking through Spain's defenses when it was needed. But that is old news now.

Last night.......... ooi vey! I am part Dutch and proud of that heritage, but watching them play last night, did not always make me proud. For only two team players to walk away without yellow cards, from one match, is a disgrace. I think the Ref did a brilliant job last night - but even he let a lot of bad play slip through. I was stunned. I was all amped to watch two champion teams play ..... well we all saw that was not what happened. The Dutch were bullies! Not saying that Spain were angels but they definitely played the cleaner game. I am of the opinion that cheaters don't deserve to win - and dirty play is cheating. Spain deserved their victory. Holland seemed to clean up their game in extra time but by then it was way too late. Oh well - I shall suffer this depression by not discussing the game further. Well done Spain.

The handing over of the trophy was spectacular. I loved how the Dutch coach took off his medal (silver was not good enough). Yes they were down - but why not celebrate the fact that they had made it to the final? Yes - I believe this is the 3rd time that they have failed to win but, they beat teams that should have been standing there. Ah - no one is ever satisfied unless they have it all. The fireworks were fantastic. And the closing ceremony was outstanding. I loved the elephants and that projector was something else! I could go on but I won't.

What now? Why have they not mentioned that now the U/20 female WC starts? Are they not going to be playing at the stadiums? Why has there been no press about this? I only found out about it because it is in the TV guide. Are these ladies butt ugly or bad soccer players? Does anyone have any info on this?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Tribble dearest... Every game the Dutch played they ruined for me. I eventually stopped watching their games cuz every game they played was dirty. By my standards they didn't even deserve to make it out of the first round. If you think the final was dirty from their side you should have seen their Brazil game. They are a bunch of hooligans and I will never support them again. Now the Spanish on the other side... totally different story. The were in control in every one of their games except for the very first one. They deserved this more than anyone else. And I grant them such as they were the best of all the teams on the day they played. As to the comments made above regarding the Spain - Germany game.... Again Spain took control of the match. They knew that Germany should not be allowed to defend midfield and as such they forced the Germans to defend deep into their own territory. As a result we saw a game where Spain had the most chances to score and a German side that was completely bewildered. They just couldn't get the ball to a place they can do anything with it. Spain is one of the most strategic teams I have seen this whole world cup and it just goes to show. There is no match for skill.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932