2010 Soccer World Cup

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: 2010 Soccer World Cup

Post by Tribble »

I disagree there - I don't think the Dutch played dirty in every game. Yes - there were times... but often they played well. I watched the match against Brazil and cannot say that I noticed them playing dirty.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Every game the Dutch played they ruined for me. I eventually stopped watching their games cuz every game they played was dirty. By my standards they didn't even deserve to make it out of the first round. If you think the final was dirty from their side you should have seen their Brazil game. They are a bunch of hooligans and I will never support them again. Now the Spanish on the other side... totally different story.
Codswallop my friend. I'm afraid if you think the Dutch played dirty in every one of their games and "didn't deserve to make it out the first round" then I daresay your knowledge of the game is somewhat equal to that of some buffoon who believes that an octopus can see the future. The Dutch outclassed Brazil in every sense of the word and it would have been a much greater difference in the scoreline had the dirty buggers not tried their best to decapitate our best striker.

As for the final, yes, they did play dirty, but no more so than the effeminate spaniels who's mere sight of a dutch boot in a 5m radius of their twinkle toes resulted in a ballet worthy of a score by Tchaikovsky. That's dirty in it's own right and an absolute aberration to the beautiful game. The Spanish did not play the better game of football last night, they just managed to convert one more opportunity than the Dutch.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Ahhh, the morning after.

So, contrary to the expectations of the doom and gloom crowd we didn't end up killing scores of tourists and robbing the rest. Eskom behaved and kept the lights burning at every event and Bafana actually won a game.
Oh, and I overslept this morning because the students have given up on the whole vuvuzela thing.

Scintillating stuff.

What next?

MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So who else is a little tired of reading FB status updates of poor Dutch supporters with orange-tinted glasses? I never thought I'd see the sourness of English football supporters matched, and now I've seen it twice in one competition!
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Stuart wrote:So who else is a little tired of reading FB status updates of poor Dutch supporters with orange-tinted glasses? I never thought I'd see the sourness of English football supporters matched, and now I've seen it twice in one competition!
I'm a hardcore Oranje man, and even though there were some questionable ref decisions (that goes both ways, incl. that Mortal Kombat kick to the chest) the Dutch had two opportunities where Robben was 1-1 with the keeper and should have converted the opportunity, so they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Anyway, we'll try again in Brazil.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Yeah, there were some bad decisions on both ends (how on earth did he miss the deflection from the Dutch free kick, and grant a goal kick instead?), although on the whole I thought that the ref wasn't as bad as SOME of the refs we had earlier in the competition.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

naughty wrote:
You, Sir, have just gone up on my list of favourite people. Most people would not know who Dalek Caan is. You have great taste in series ;-)
Knuckles
Processor: Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard: Gagabyte Z170-Gaming K3-CF
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Post by Knuckles »

High praise from the British press, FINALLY! :-)

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Edit: Wait, heavy image. Follow the link instead.

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/stayclassyholland.gif/
naughty

Post by naughty »

Tribble wrote:I disagree there - I don't think the Dutch played dirty in every game. Yes - there were times... but often they played well. I watched the match against Brazil and cannot say that I noticed them playing dirty.
i think thats quite correct - the dutch do have a bunch of skilful players - and it was only certain players who played dirty throughout - like for example i was never impressed with Mark Van Bommel and his general behaviour - because there were times that he just decided to lead with an elbow and basically ploughed through an opponent without worrying about the ball - yet id rather have the idiot on my side instead of the opponents side .... if you know what i mean :wink: cos the way he disrupts the flow of the game he never allows opponents to settle into a rhythm

BUT - to be brutally honest

the dutch do have some skillful players who play a very good game that i can sit and admire - for example Robin Van Persie as well as Arjen Robben, Wesley schneider and even Dirk Kuyt (no matter that lots of other people dont like him), and Klaas Jan Huntelaar is not a bad player even coming off the bench - the guy is a great goal poacher and i had never heard of Stekelenburg before the world cup now the club i support is being linked with him .... which shows what a great world cup he has had

so they didnt play dirty every game and certainly they have a lot of players who are potentially going to be considered great in the long run and they definitely deserved their place in the final - it was only Mark Von Bommel that i disapprove (partially) of because even when he plays for Bayern Munich he has no other way of playing and relys more on brute force instead of skill but i dont think anyone can say that they (the dutch) didnt deserve their place in the final because of dirty play cos they would have had to have played some pretty decent football to get to the level of playing in the final - so yes i think it isnt fair to say that all of them only played dirty all the time - it was just certain guys but sadly those guys were definitely dirty all the time
The Spanish did not play the better game of football last night, they just managed to convert one more opportunity than the Dutch.
yet im sure that you cannot disagree that the scoreline went exactly according to the form book - i was very much a neutral for the final and the only way i looked at it was that the only blemish in the spanish copy book was the loss to switzerland yet they were the natural favourites to win - in fact from the euro's to now they have been widely acknowledged as the favourites together with Brazil - so the dutch were very much underdogs so the final scoreline was less of a surprise than it could have been though at one stage it did look like it would have went to penalties - even then the spanish have the more experienced "keeper" - id have fancied him to make at least one save at a minimum in a penalty shootout
and even though there were some questionable ref decisions
actually the most questionable one of the whole game being how the dutch actually managed to last the 90 minutes with 11 men on the pitch cos the 4th yellow card which was the karate kick foul by de jong was never ever a yellow - but in fact should have been a straight red - no question that the player never attempted to play the ball but just got up and kicked the guy in the chest .... he wasnt even moving in a direction where he would have got the ball in any way - he just played the player ..... yet Howard Webb only brandished the yellow and allowed play to continue unabated so there was no question of him favoring the spanish

as for other questionable decisions - yes there will be lots of talking points and i dont think that heitinga was supposed to leave the pitch - Iniesta definitely simulated plus there were a few niggly fouls given even after the players tripped on their own feet but yet appealed ...... remember though the ref has no instant replay or slow-mo replay either and the only help e gets is from linesmen who are sometimes at the opposite end of the pitch from where the action actually took place, yet he has to make a split second decision based on seeing the incident or missing it and seeing the aftermath - so everything considered i think Mr Webb did decently well
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I really cannot fault what you said there. Just I thought this was one of the better Refs of the WC.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

naughty wrote: actually the most questionable one of the whole game being how the dutch actually managed to last the 90 minutes with 11 men on the pitch cos the 4th yellow card which was the karate kick foul by de jong was never ever a yellow - but in fact should have been a straight red
That, and the clear deflection which was given a goal kick rather than a corner. :lol: Of course, Dutch supporters are claiming that that decision was what led to the Spanish goal, simply because the Spanish goal followed shortly after the goal kick. We don't want to go down that speculative road, but you have to admit that the ref must've been half blind to miss such a huge deflection. It was largely inconsequential in the big scheme, but still.

I do feel that the ref was a bit lenient at times because he did not want to spoil the final with by-the-book discipline. And whilst I get that the fans want to see a good, clean, flowing game, sure it is up to the players, and not the referee, to assure that this happens? If Webb had been a little stricter from the beginning perhaps the Dutch would not have felt the liberty to carry on the way they did.

The MK kick should have been a red, and Robben should have had a second yellow at the end there after being called offside but continuing playing the ball. That would have put three Dutch players on reds, which clearly the ref didn't want to do, but perhaps his leniency encouraged the Dutch to play the way they did.

All in all, I have to agree. I don't think that the ref deliberately favoured either team--I thought he was perfectly neutral--but if one team received the benefit of more favourable decisions than the other, it was certainly the Dutch.
naughty

Post by naughty »

and the clear deflection which was given a goal kick rather than a corner
sure - that was unfathomable but how many decisions like that happen in the thousands of football games that occur - you cant really tell me that decisions like that affect the game in its entirety - and as far as those dutch fans are concerned i have only two words for them

"SOUR GRAPES"

they have to just accept they lost and life moves on cos im sure if they have any character they should contemplate the tactics and generally poor play by the dutch players instead of concentrating on the refs performance which was comparatively fine because he made poor decisions either way - and those happen all the time in football because refs dont have any technology as assistance and its only coming to the fore now - 10 years ago no-one complained when more mistakes were made then occur now - and IMHO a ref is only poor if he favoured one side over another and this clearly wasnt the case here
but you have to admit that the ref must've been half blind to miss such a huge deflection
sure he missed it but would you have been 100% sure of it without the replay and slo-mo shots of it that you had the benefit to see - sometimes the ref would also be listening for the sound of the ball hitting opposing players etc to aid his decisions and if he couldnt see what happened in a fleeting second as a ball was kicked hard toward a goal net what could he hear to say that a deflection had occurred - you have to account for those type of things - even in cricket they listen to audio files to ascertain if a batsman snicked the ball with an edge in the cases of a potential catch - also its easy to criticize after the fact but would any dutch fans that are complaining have had the courage to stand on that field to referee that game .... so they should be last ones to talk about the referee IMHO
If Webb had been a little stricter from the beginning
how much stricter can you be than 4 yellow cards in the first 20 minutes of a game as important as a world cup final :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - if that didnt signal his "no-real-hectic-nonsense allowed" strict intent to the players i dont know what would have but i think he underestimated the stubbornness of the players and the permissive culture of diving thats becoming prevalent as wll as the will to cheat to win thats also being allowed to cultivate starting with the thierry henry handballs in this world cup - its sad that allowing things like that which go against the intent and the grain of sportsmanship will signal to the players that dishonest play can win at the end of the day so they will try their luck and stretch the rules till their actions are against the intention of "sporting play" and even worse bring the game into disrepute
and Robben should have had a second yellow at the end there after being called offside but continuing playing the ball
his excuse for that .... which would have to remain perfectly plausible .... could be that he did not hear the referee's whistle and with all the vuvzela's at stadiums that would be anyones easy way out of any complaint like that - the referee has to allow for things like that and if you ask webb for an explanation im sure he would tell you that you cannot send off a player just cos he didnt hear a whistle in a loud athmosphere of any cup final game cos there would be lots of chanting and screaming elsewhere but here the vuvzela's here definitely do make for a loud athmosphere as well as unfortunately being an unwitting excuse for churlish behaviour like that

EDIT : - one thing i have to state to any dutch supporter is that the dutch intentions were clearly signalled before the game - as evidence here we go

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/186275

http://www.goal.com/en-india/news/140/w ... -the-right

some quotes from Robben
"I would much prefer to win a very ugly game than lose a beautiful one," said Robben at a press conference.
"No-one here feels they are too special to get their hands dirty.
if that didnt signal their intent before the game i dont know what would have
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Viva Espana!!!!!
DeanMF

Post by DeanMF »

lancelot wrote:Viva Espana!!!!!
+1
Forum Points: 25 618 :)