I am getting FAT.

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Sojourn

I am getting FAT.

Post by Sojourn »

I am just past the stages of developing a not-so-flat stomach, typical male calamity when you live an unhealthy lifestyle.

I am already on a healthier eating plan (thanks to my expecting wife).
What exercises are best to combat a growing stomach? I hate/abhor running.
I am a virgin active member... but am on the border of loosing the discovery vitality membership due to poor attendance.
c0d3r

Re: I am getting FAT.

Post by c0d3r »

Play squash or something where you don't realize you're exercising. Treadmill / stepper etc is a chore because it's not fun.
а плечьми буйство струйка. Дверь Твоем юдоли. Виновником неразлучен страшиться невинность милосердье сладчайший. Век под вне Оно Нет сия тук. Все вас совоздыхая устремится ком мню возблеснув разверзают лик мой сопрягаешь. Неправды но Ту светлеет Неправых Ни ум смотреть.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Cardio. That is all.

If you hate running, skipping and so on maybe try circuit training with really light weights, with high reps and short breaks between sets. That way you get some cardio disguised as resistance training.

Or try High Intensity Interval Training, you'll have to get on a stationary bike or do some skipping, for really short periods of time, maybe 20 minutes, but you end up burning more energy than if you just did an hour of regular cardio.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

On the contrary you will lose fat quickest by starting a regimen comprising mostly weight training supplemented with 20 odd minutes of whatever cardio you enjoy at about 60-70% of your maximum heart-rate. Weight training builds muscle, thereby increasing your basal metabolic rate (the amount of energy your body requires for normal activity). While lifting weights, stored up fat cells are released into the bloodstream and hence do your cardio after some weights and you'll zap that extra fat.

If you need a sample weight training routine, drop me a pm and I'll send you a pretty good one to get you started.

Train 4 days a week in this manner, cut out your sugar and carbs after 7 and you'll shed the boep within 4 months (almost guaranteed).
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Eh? That sounds very dangerous to me Jonboy. Weight training breaks down muscle fiber, doing cardio immediately afterwards means your body is going to start burning those proteins for energy right along with the fat - sure, you'll lose weight faster, but you'll be losing muscle mass too - which means a lower metabolic rate and a bigger boep later on.

Educate me if I'm wrong. :)

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Fatass
ADT

Post by ADT »

:lol:

Hey man that's what the festive season does to you.... :shock:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Bottom line is, I need to do something like NOW... the longer I wait with this, the harder it will be.
Thanks for the advice guys!
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

D3PART3D wrote:Eh? That sounds very dangerous to me Jonboy. Weight training breaks down muscle fiber, doing cardio immediately afterwards means your body is going to start burning those proteins for energy right along with the fat - sure, you'll lose weight faster, but you'll be losing muscle mass too - which means a lower metabolic rate and a bigger boep later on.

Educate me if I'm wrong. :)
You're not wrong, just missing the details.

It's always advisable to do one's cardio following training because at that stage your available energy reserves are depleted and this is thus the best time to isolate a secondary energy source which is fat, or as you mentioned, muscle. If, however, you keep your heart rate at around 65% of your maximum, your body will always utilise fat instead of muscle. It's only when your heart rate elevates very high that the body will selectively utilise muscle instead of fat.

On the converse, doing your cardio before you work out is pointless because the body will utilise your available energy stores rather than fat (or muscle) and thus you won't lose any fat and you'll be too tired to do a decent weight training section.

A good idea is to always drink a shake with about 30g protein and 30-50g simple carbs (sugars like dextrose / waxy maize starch) immediately post workout to cut the anabolic phase short so that your muscle glycogen load will be replaced preventing the breakdown of muscle tissue. Then you should always get your whole food meal in shortly after.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

maxxis wrote:Fatass
Not quite yet, although your comment is brilliant motivation! :wink: :)
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

I got the varsity bulge which only got worse when I started working. But it took me 18 months, a load of cash on supplements and proper foods, my virgin active contract and I managed to go from a size 36 waist to a size 32. Initially lost 11kgs of fat and went from 89kgs to 78kgs, then started weight lifting more and put on 4kgs of muscle so I now sit comfortably at 82kgs with a body fat percentage of roughly 10% (which was initially 16%). Believe me, the input is worth it and if you can cross the 3 month hurdle, you'll never stop.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I also hate running - I'm too heavy anyway and I get shin splints.

I hit the bikes at gym - the rowing machines are also quite good, but I dont like them because all the chicks use them and they klap it hard. When I sit there panting trying to keep up with them I feel like such a doos...

I hit the gym 2 or 3 times a week.
20 minutes on the bike to warm up, 3 different excercises on the machines - usually arms and chest, and then some abs. Then I hit the sauna and sweat it out a bit.
Works great for me - I'm not losing weight at a phenominal rate (1 or 2 kg a month for the last 5 months) , but then I'm not dieting.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Don't worry Sojourn you're not alone, i'm also planning to hit the gym after work, only a flat will stop me :lol: , cause i know myself by now, if i don't start early in the year to get in a routine I'm just gonna bypass it.
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

maxxis wrote:Fatass
What he said...
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

I am still missing about 4 or 5 people I thought would knock me for this thread. :P
Prime

Post by Prime »

The eating plan is a good move.

Otherwise, you go to gym, exercise and then feel hungry and you can end up putting back in more than you are burning.

Exercise only works if you maintain a healthy consumption habit and do not increase your intake due to exercising. There is a fascinating article in one of the recent time magazines on this. August 17 2009 edition.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Fascinating is hardly an adjective I'd use to describe an article about diet and exercise... especially on a computer forum :idea:
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Jonboy wrote:A good idea is to always drink a shake with about 30g protein and 30-50g simple carbs (sugars like dextrose / waxy maize starch) immediately post workout to cut the anabolic phase short so that your muscle glycogen load will be replaced preventing the breakdown of muscle tissue. Then you should always get your whole food meal in shortly after.
Ah... makes sense!

@Sojourn - :shock:

Congrats dude! :D

- Elon Musk
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

jamin_za wrote:Fascinating is hardly an adjective I'd use to describe an article about diet and exercise... especially on a computer forum :idea:
:lol:

D3 stop pumping iron and go spam
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
ADT

Post by ADT »

I must say I'm totally buggered from yesterdays gym session :shock:
Spoiler (show)
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

I took the plunge and joined a gym two weeks ago and go there for just unde an hour every Saturday.
My heart rate during cardio is alarming high though and I haven't gone so far as to change my eatings patterns
yet other than to reduce my coffee intake and try to lay off the sandwiches.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I ate some 2 minute noodles yesterday.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

StarPhoenix wrote:I took the plunge and joined a gym two weeks ago and go there for just unde an hour every Saturday.
My heart rate during cardio is alarming high though and I haven't gone so far as to change my eatings patterns
yet other than to reduce my coffee intake and try to lay off the sandwiches.
Dude, I don't want to pee on your parade but if you're going once a week you may as well not go at all. You need at least 20-40 minutes of vigorous exercise at least 3 times a week to notice any progress.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

+1 I can vouch for that.

I used to dance 6 hours a day for 5 days a week and I could eat anything I wanted and I still lost weight. but if you are going to do it once a week you will put more carbs and stuff in that you actually use. If you can't go to the gym more than once a week try to at least take some decent walks. Hit the streets and just walk to get rid of most of it.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
ADT

Post by ADT »

Hman wrote:I ate some 2 minute noodles yesterday.
:slap:

hahaha FAIL Hman :P
Spoiler (show)