Champions League Final '09

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Sojourn

Champions League Final '09

Post by Sojourn »

2-0 win for Barcalona FC against a Manchester United team that barely pitched up to play that game.
Barca dominated posession, was for 80 minutes just about the only team on the field.
Only the first 10 minutes had old Man United flair, quickly smothered by a Barca goal in the 10th minute.
Messi's header in the 70th minute sealed the deal.

From a staunch Man U supporter, to all the Barca players, their team, and fans, well played, the better team won and desevedly so.
To all the natural English club "enemies" of Man United, you will have a right to comment once you start playing in finals.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Champions League Final '09

Post by Tribble »

I watched the game and didn't think Manchester did too badly. (Yes I support Liverpool). Still think they did ok - Barcelona was just much better.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I lost 10 bucks on Man U, those girlymen.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

jamin_za, ROTFLMHO
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Tribble wrote:I watched the game and didn't think Manchester did too badly. (Yes I support Liverpool). Still think they did ok - Barcelona was just much better.
Did we watch the same mach? United was outwitted, outplayed and given the run around like a 2nd division team on the brink of relegation... and that is being kind.
The only thing they did get right was not scoring own goals.

Ok, I am maybe a bit harsh, but considering their journey to get into the final and the level of professional skill on the field up to that point, they just barely turned up for that game.
douglash

Post by douglash »

Barcelona played an excellent game of soccer - the passing was brilliant, their opportunities capitalised on and their heads in the game...

Well done to FCB - soz to Man U.

ps - if only Man U could maybe change their attitude about losing and understanding that if it's not your day, it just won't be ;)

pps - Messi is unbelievable!!
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

douglash wrote:the passing was brilliant
+1
douglash

Post by douglash »

Sojourn wrote:
Tribble wrote:but considering their journey to get into the final and the level of professional skill on the field up to that point, they just barely turned up for that game.
1 word = COMPLACENCY
naughty

Post by naughty »

ps - if only Man U could maybe change their attitude about losing and understanding that if it's not your day, it just won't be
how so ???? - i cant understand that statement - cos united were not sore losers - not like chelsea were at any rate - they just spoiled their faces and looked glum - but they took the defeat philosophically - in fact they were criticized in the english press for a lack of passion shown over the defeat or as being too mild in their reaction to the defeat - the statemnt taken another way implies that united just sat back and allowed themselves to lose after the first goal went in - they did not - the problem was you cant leave midfielders like iniesta and xavi alone in midfield - giggs was drifting forward and to the left cos thats what his natural tendency would be as a left winger - carrick drifting the ball to rooney didnt work and rooney was effectively cut out as a threat - anderson seemed to overawed to the extent that he seemed to think that tackling was a problem and carrick couldn't utilise his neat effective passing cos Ji-sung park was more buys helping out in defence than remaining upfront - so it want tevez who was required there it was Berbatov whose neat first touch is effective in getting to those neat passes and then holding up the ball till our fast forwards arrived but berba didnt get to play till too late (mainly cos of reports in the press that he wasnt too happy to take a penalty in case it did go down to penalties)

but they are well aware that on another day it could be a very different result - united (nor any other team in the world) cannot play brilliant every time they take to the pitch - uniteds worst form for the season that just finished was displayed in the beginning of the season when they sat at around 17th at the beginning and then during that period when they lost to liverpool and fulham - Barca just came in from two losses - whereas i think that resting the main united players for the last game was counter productive - you begin to lose your match fitness if you dont play a few games and get back in

but out of all the english teams they were still extremely successful ie the only domestic trophy that they didnt get to make it a clean sweep was the FA cup - they still won the charity shield, club world cup, carling cup and the Barclays premier league - so stand up any other side in england who added silverware into their locker room ........ whoops thats still only going to be decided between chelsea and everton on saturday - besides for those potential two - no other english side did anything of note this season - so united can still hold their heads up very high - second at anything doesnt count - and that goes double for us in terms of the champions league - but truth be told - since we won it in 99 it took 9 years before we won it again last season - so i wasnt expecting to win the back to back finals - just reaching it was an achievement though - if we had won it would have made this into the greatest united team ever but it wasnt to be

no matter - we will still bounce back - and next seasoni dont mind letting th ereserves win the charity shield and carling cup - if we do well in the FA cup it will be a bonus - and im expecting another good run in the league - the champions league i think will again be a priority but its mainly going to depend on who goes or stays during the summer transfer window - it seems like Tevez is on his way out but if Ronaldo goes then Frank Ribery is an option of who may arrive (the cash from Ronaldo may be adequate to get him as well as a forward to replace Tevez if he doesnt stay or even pay for Tevez since the agent wants 32 million pounds for him and Ribery is going to be minimum 40 million) but i would prefer not too many changes to the squad

either way dont write united off from having an even more brilliant season begginning august cos they are going to be stinging from this defeat and uniteds normal reaction there is to just sweep everyone aside again in the following season - this might be the kick up the pants needed (like the liverpool loss followed in quick succession by the fulham loss spurred them to not drop anymore points) - i think next season will once again belong to united - moreso if the tevez and christiano ronaldo situations are resolved

the ronaldo thing is becoming ridiculous because he says he wants to decide after a holiday - well IMHO he needs to decide right now cos then united can begin looking for a high profile replacement - it going to be too late if he decides he is going to go at the last minute to find a replacement - so he needs to know now

either way - losing one game (even one of that much importance) doesnt make the season totally worthless - it would have been a quadruple of domestic trophies plus the club world cup if we really had won the UCL - so i still believe in the side and will still continue to support them as i have done so for already over 20 years

GLORY GLORY MAN UNITED

btw Jamin - in august when the season starts im gonna invest more than a tenner on the side - im gonna go and invest R1k a least on a premier league and champions league double for next season
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor