2009 Confed Cup - SA

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
naughty

Re: 2009 Confed Cup - SA

Post by naughty »

well i beg to differ - SA didnt really play well - they did well to limit the loss to only one goal conceded but they didnt play well - they just parked the bus and when they tried to breakout they had nothing in the final third of the oppositions half

yes a few half hearted shots - but when playing against a keeper of Julio Cesars capabilities they did nothing that made him even know he was in a game leave alone break out in a sweat - he had to make one spectacular lunging save in the whole match

it was like watching sunderland or bolton playing a premier league big 4 side - it was a case of just parking the bus and making sure the engine was seized - against a side like Brazil normally you would expect to concede maybe three or four goals normally - but as ive said south africa did well to limit this - but stopping another side from scoring is not how to win a game - and it looked to me like they played in a 9-0-1 formation - no midfield besides when they countered - in which case steven pienaar was running with it and no-one to pass to - modise tried a few lame shots on target - but those would have been closer to scoring if they were rugby conversions

SA really needs to do lots of work - cos its scoring goals that will win you games - not this aimless "their attack against our defence" nonsense that they tried to pull off - that isnt going to work against the most potent attacking force in the world - they are bound to score sometime - and the day they score early - its going to mean a cricket score for the side that parks the bus - i didnt see this match as any progress - they actually played better in the first half against spain in the group stages even though they lost that game too

they need a better shape with some real attacking threat - and pienaar needs support when he runs with the ball - when the support is there he needs to keep the ball moving too co he is becoming a bit of a showboating player on the ball - he wants to hog it like christiano ronaldo but he isnt CR and you cant do that against sides like spain and brazil

and IMHO Joel Santana should swallow his pride and get fat Benni back into the attack - he is the most effective finisher out of all south africans even though he is beginning to resemble the goodyear blimp a little bit - his ego doesnt help matters much but when you dont have anyone else capable to do the job - just let him get on with it - Blackburn also seem to have run out of patience with him but when he gets onto the pitch he invariably scores important goals and is a large part of why blackburn avoided relegation this season
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor