Help growing muscles

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
I34z1k

Re: Help growing muscles

Post by I34z1k »

How much you squatting?
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

qwiksilva666 wrote:my legs even though i train then pretty hard seem to stay scrawny v:/
i do squats, leg press, quad and calf. but they not growing.
Legs are the hardest muscle to train. In 4 months of intense training my legs have hardly grown. Just remember, muscles grow when they rest and you walk around the whole day every day.
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

80kg and dam its HEAVY :oops:
~~*Head of the Druidic Council of the Pride of Darkness*~~
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Wow nice :D I don't even have that much weight :( I'm doing 65kg and I'm stuck cause my back's giving way :cry:

I've been practically bed ridden the past two days cause I hurt it somehow, not from working out, in fact I haven't worked out for a few weeks :P
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

well when i started 2 months ago i couldnt even squat 50kg comfortably :oops:

too many clicks in the back and pain.
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

I hate doing legs. But the onyl reasonI do it cause it help produce Gh in you body.

I suck at squate .I can do max 100kg at 6-8 reps if I am lucky....

Just got to try get into the cardio
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Gee, anyone know of a good injury prevention guide? My knee got pwned the other day :(
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

Before you squat, do a couple light extension sets. If that doesn't help start wrapping your knees.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

muffinman wrote:Before you squat, do a couple light extension sets. If that doesn't help start wrapping your knees.
How much you squatting muffinman
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

About 140-150 kg's.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

muffinman wrote:Before you squat, do a couple light extension sets. If that doesn't help start wrapping your knees.
I'll try that thanks. :)
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

Pleasure man. Just remember when you're concentrating on your quads, put the pressure on your heels, not your toes.
mOUSIE

Post by mOUSIE »

muffinman wrote:
qwiksilva666 wrote:my legs even though i train then pretty hard seem to stay scrawny v:/
i do squats, leg press, quad and calf. but they not growing.
Legs are the hardest muscle to train. In 4 months of intense training my legs have hardly grown. Just remember, muscles grow when they rest and you walk around the whole day every day.
i disagree, it depends on the person. my legs seem to b growing the best out of all my body parts. when u hit a flat part in growing, your muscles prob got use to your routine, u should mix up ur routine every once in a while, shock ur muscles.

another thing, please do deadlifts, when u r squatting heavy weight your back does get worked a lot (especially if ur posture is wrong). when ur back gets stronger u can throw more weight onto ur squats.

you must also squat deep, none of this sissy squats. the top part of ur leg must be parallel to the floor when u go down.

but damn muffinman ur squatting 150kg!! u must have tree stumps for legs. how many reps and how deep (sissy squats dont count) i do 100kg, 8 reps (deep) no spotter.

oh ya, 1 more thing. streatch before u train. prevents injuries and helps grows. streatch ur legs and lower back.
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

My legs aren't big, but they are strong. I leg press 300kg.

My routine changes every month, plus I don't just do normal strength training. One week I do strength training, next week stamina training, next week functional training and then week after I do strength training again.

It's the functional training that's making me so strong.

mOUSIE, I train with a qualified personal trainer, so rest assured I do proper reps.

When I do strength training:

5 Sets. 1st set 15 reps of 80kg's
2nd set 12 reps of 100kg's
3rd set 10 reps of 120kg's
4th set 8 reps of 130kg's
5th set 8 reps of 140 - 150kg's depending on how I feel

When I do stamina training I'll do 10 sets of 10 reps but on that I won't go over 80kg's. With functional training I'll do a superset of squats and jump lunges, usually 4 sets of 10 reps squatting and 15 reps jump lunges (per leg)
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

update!:

very slow gains compared to the first month or so :(
wheighing now just over 63kg - ive been tight on cash coz im spoiling myself with gadgets so i havent had protein shake for 3 weeks now. but still stuffing myself with as much meat and bread and food as i can. and pushing as heavy as i can.
It seems as though i have hit a level maybe? any ideas? could be coz im not eating the strict way i started?
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

qwiksilva666 wrote:update!:

very slow gains compared to the first month or so :(
wheighing now just over 63kg - ive been tight on cash coz im spoiling myself with gadgets so i havent had protein shake for 3 weeks now. but still stuffing myself with as much meat and bread and food as i can. and pushing as heavy as i can.
It seems as though i have hit a level maybe? any ideas? could be coz im not eating the strict way i started?

Need the Whey protein. I would maybe try a mass building in place of Whey, to get your weight up. Plus mass buidlers are cheaper than Whey.
Stuff yourself with chicken breast , brown rice , veggies . I use flax seed oil 2 times a day .
Read up about it.. Plenty good stuff in it..

Eat eat eat at least 6 time . Feed the machine
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

If you wanna be build like a man, you gotta eat like a man
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

I'd say eat about a 250grams of oats (cooked weight) every morning and try and take in round about 600g of cooked rice a day, and of course your chicken or fish or whatever you take for protein. It's called carb-loading, it'll help you grow.
Ryan.Cockbain

Post by Ryan.Cockbain »

Low reps high weights and at least 3 sets..

Good luck
Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

Read Body for Life by Bill Phillips. Pretty much all you need to know about training, eating the right stuff etc...

i have a met a lot of guys who swear by that book... and from what i saw, it works.
Lee Mercer (Angel): This is getting ridiculous. The first assassin kills the second assassin sent to kill the first assassin, who didnt assassinate anyone until we hired the second assassin to assassinate her.
Ryan.Cockbain

Post by Ryan.Cockbain »

Body for life is amazing!! Do what it says and you will be amazed at the results!!
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

update:!

ok ive been back on the shake since around mid december. feeling really good, and looking really good, but not gaining more weight. my muscles upper body are looking really defined and ive put another kg or so weighing between 64kg/65kg yet my legs are not growing. I max out the leg press (one where you sit on a chair and grap the bars on the sides of the chair and push with your legs) with ALL 20 bar wheights and still nothing. calve machine i cant use because my left knee has problems so whenever i try the machine my right leg does all the work because after one rep i get an awfully painful uncomfortable scraping/snapping feeling behind my left knee. and the the other leg machine (opposite of the calve one) burns/works my quads very nicely but still no gain.

have i hit a gain level? i have moerse fast metabolism, could that be holding my gains back?
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
muffinman

Post by muffinman »

you have to increase your carbs intake. start using creatine (ethyl ester, don't use monohydrate), you should get some gains from that. don't stress about your quads, keep on training them and they will grow. some muscles respond better than others.
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

carbs? i eat half a loaf of bread a day. is that enough carbs?
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

@Qwik, instead of a whey shake, have you considered a mass builder with higher values for protein, carbs and fats and also includes some casein protein which is slower absorbing than the whey? Like most skinny guys, your metabolism is probably so quick that I would advise avoiding cardio as much as possible, or at least spreading it away from your strength training days.

As for your legs, different people's muscle groups respond differently. I'm only doing approx 80kg leg extensions, 200kg leg press and 50kg squats and I'm seeing great results after 6 months. These three exercises train your big muscle groups in your legs rather than the twitch fibres and hence release bigger amounts of growth hormone. Also, try supersetting your extensions with squats, but it's not always necessary.

As for your ceiling, if you're currently doing three sets of 10, change to (in increasing order of weight) 12 reps, 10 reps, 8 reps and then 6 reps, and over time cut this down to four sets of 8.

Legs is my least favourite training night. I find it very gruelling and I always get stiff for two days after.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]