Supplement Help

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
mOUSIE

Re: Supplement Help

Post by mOUSIE »

2 pages so far and no 1 has said anything bout multivitamins? its 1 of the cheaper things to buy, and its 1 of the most important supplement. ok its not going to make u pick up (or lose) 5kgs, but its going to help. i use USN - multiplex

Many people underestimate the importance of them. They think that since you can not get 5 kgs of muscle, it is useless to take them. But here is something very important. If your body is deficient in just one of the essential vitamins and minerals over a thousand chemical and enzymatic processes in your body could be impaired. Each and every vitamin and mineral is responsible for thousands of biochemical reactions, including the formation of hormones. Bottom line? If you don't use a good multivitamin and mineral formula you will never reach your fullest potential.
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

I take one too :) Pharmaton. No use paying a huge premium on them IMO.
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

I use animal pak for my multi Vits... Love them...
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Ok im a pharmacist :D so i got teh skills to talk here .....

Firstly you need to calculate your ideal body weight (IBW) and this is done as follows:

IBW = (male) 50kg + (0.9)(each cm > 152cm)
(female) 45kg + (0.9)(each cm > 152cm)

IF you are starting and want to lose weight DO NOT use weight reducing supplements because they have what is called an elastic effect as they will work while you take them however the effect is lost and u will gain weight the minute you stop so its better to do it naturally with a weight loss diet :D

The main thing is to have a low fat and carbohydrate and high protein diet. Because although fat has 14 times more energy than simple surgars its the last to burn up as fuel in the body. So you diet should have enough carbohydrate to sustain your daily activities and a high protein content to prevent protein catabolism, thereby forcing the fat in the body to burn as an energy source.

Diet wise try to break up your meals into 5 smaller meals rather than 3 big meals. For those that eat rice maxium of one handful of COOKED rice per meal and stick to white meat such as chicken or fish (fish is better as it has omega 3 and 6). NO sweets NO fatty foods NO take aways and its pointless to eat 5 helpings of healthy food cause you going in a circle oh and for those who dont eat rice you better start cause bread (white brown whatever) is a NO.

Exercise must be at least 3 times a week (essentially every alternate day) for about an hour maybe 2. However most people dont have time for this but to keep healthy it can be divided into 3 15 minutes sessions of cardio workout per day i.e 15 minutes sit ups jogging in the morning again after work and before you go to bed.

Supplements: now this is the tricky part, those guys UNDER 18 are not suppose to take fat burners and the reason is that these do have the potential to alter your basal metabolic rate so dont take em the rest of us its decide on your own (how much cash u got to waste). Everything has a cost on the body and the fat burners are the most costly (had a patient that got renal failure from over doing it). if you are on supplements you should be consuming at least 12 glasses (approx 3 litres) water per day NO COKE NO FRUIT JUICE (cause freshly squeezed juice has a lot of fruits :? more than u normally would eat and fruits do have fructose some have sucrose rather eat the fruit and get full than drink juice).

For building up muscle (again recommend that you do it naturally) but if u guys want good supplements then this is what you need:

A basic protein shake (usually Whey protein one that contains no or little carbohydrate)
A meal replacement (diet shake for non-training days)
Testosterone + creatine + off-cycle (very important because then all your testosterone will be broken down into oestrogen and you gonna have a problem)
Alpha Nitrox to increase vasculature (blood suppy)
and a protein powder of L-Glutamine (for speedy muscle recovery)
Milk Thistle supplement (protect the liver from supplement beating)

Supplements are meant for a boost not to be taken continously and its recommended that after a period of 3 months that you take a break of 1 month before starting again (mainly cause at this point you will probably be broke :D )

if any question feel free to PM me i dont mind being the PCF pharmacist lol :lol:

*edit*

I didnt see the post on the top. Multivistamins are a yes and a no. Although its important for you to have a healthy diet they are usually for those with malnurishment and most people around here are probably not starving and are malnurished on the plus side of the scale. They more of a marketing gimmick IMO and arent need daily however Vit C and E are needed as they are antioxidants :D again change your diet and you wont need these things
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Right, so got my glutamine powder (love that stuff) and a whey protein shake. I'm taking the protein shake once a day, only on the days I train. What is the best time to take this. I've heard as a 10h30 snack, an hour before gym or immediately after. Now, an hour before gym makes me feel gross while training, I have supper 30minutes after training so coupling this to a shake makes me feel horribly full, so the best option is at 10h30 but don't know if this is not the proper way of doing things?

Take the glutamine right after my session.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Well right before or right after is fine doesnt make much of a difference just close around your training session as the body cannot store amino acids so it will need to use those available to the body so i dont recommend whey proteins for a meal replacement or a snack.

If after your meals add your tablespoon (whatever the recommend dose is cant remember off hand) of glutamine to the whey shake and have it together.

Your best option if you cant take before or after i suggest moving your training session to a different time if not possible then delay supper , and if that is not possible then leave the whey out and just have a high protein supper (fish) which will more or less to the same thing :D
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Whatsup peeps. How many of you bodybuilders take flax seed oil?

Been training for 7 months and take 100% whey, L-glutamine and today I went and bought some Flax seed oil caps (have to take the caps, the oil form takes terrible and refluxes something terrible).

Do I take the recommended 3 x 1000mg tabs daily? I'm trying (and slowly getting there) to reduce my body fat percentage from it's current 14% down to 10% and gain muscle.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Jonboy wrote:Whatsup peeps. How many of you bodybuilders take flax seed oil?

Been training for 7 months and take 100% whey, L-glutamine and today I went and bought some Flax seed oil caps (have to take the caps, the oil form takes terrible and refluxes something terrible).

Do I take the recommended 3 x 1000mg tabs daily? I'm trying (and slowly getting there) to reduce my body fat percentage from it's current 14% down to 10% and gain muscle.
I have been taking flaxseed oil for around 2 years now...
I use the oil and mix it in my protein shake before I sleep and when I wake up. 1-2 tea spoons.

Dont know much bout the tabs , dont know if they any good. (seen flax seed oil need to be cold pressed as it is sensitive to heat. So I dont rate the tabs)

I am guessing 3000mg per day should be fine. (morning and night)

[edited]

1000mg in the morning
2000mg at night. (you heal quicker while you sleep , and Flaxseed helps in muscle recovery)
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Awesome, thanks Acid. I made sure I got the softgel liqui-caps, they're cold pressed and kinda look like the oil is injected into some digestive capsule shell.

Battling to lower the last few percentages of body fat (got like an inkling of a boep left and want that six pack). Eat a very low-fact diet and don't want to do too much cardio because I'm not keen on losing muscle mass, so sticking to a 10 min orbital session pre-workout and a 10 minute stair master session post-workout, then sits/leg raises. Stomach = not interested!
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Acidkidsa

Post by Acidkidsa »

Jonboy wrote:Awesome, thanks Acid. I made sure I got the softgel liqui-caps, they're cold pressed and kinda look like the oil is injected into some digestive capsule shell.

Battling to lower the last few percentages of body fat (got like an inkling of a boep left and want that six pack). Eat a very low-fact diet and don't want to do too much cardio because I'm not keen on losing muscle mass, so sticking to a 10 min orbital session pre-workout and a 10 minute stair master session post-workout, then sits/leg raises. Stomach = not interested!
Even in cap form , I dont think they as good as the actual oil.

Even though they cold pressed , in what temperature they stored afterwards?

If flaxseed oil is susceptible to light and temperature. Surely is should always be stored in a fridge?

At the pharmacies they keep them on a shelf?

In regards to your excersize.. Getting results for you stomach requires weighted ab training and a very clean diet. No booze. no sweet things, no fizzy drinks. Plenty green veggies and so on. Need to force your body to burn those fat reserves.

My 2c