the Barclays English Premier League thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
naughty

Re: the Barclays English Premier League thread

Post by naughty »

so ....... arsenal vs man city yesterday - and Adebayor worked his socks off and was absolutely everywhere in the game - robin van persie even accuses him of stamping - but IMHO ive watched the incident - there was no intent from adebayor - if it did seem malicious i would have taken Van Persie's side over this but as it stands all i saw was two guys going for the ball and the stronger one coming out with it during a very physical game

as for the arsenal fans at the game - they are the same bunch who accused adebayor of "not trying" for them but i kind of suspect that they wouldnt have changed their opinion of this guy had he played with total commitment week in and week out for them - i remember last season they boo'ed him out of the park over this - and that type of treatment is counterproductive to getting good performances out of your own players and i blame the arsenal fans for demotivating him

then when it comes back to bite them on the backside all they can do is moan and groan about it - forums and newsgroups this last 24 hours have been full of talk about dirty Ade - IMHO its mostly sour grapes from arsenal fans realizing how retarded they were to drive the man out of their club - he is proving elsewhere that he is indeed a good player having scored in each of city's wins so far

elsewhere liverpool were decent and chelsea played one of their efficient win in the last minute games - nothing wrong with that cos liverpool did it so well last season as did united and we know where those two teams finished off - so chelseas pensioners are basically doing just enough to go on and just win games but the team that is basically making me eat my words is a "winning every game they play" man city

so are city going to leapfrog above united next week sunday considering that united have a champions league match between now and then but city have that fixture as their next game or will united be able to show why they won three tiles on the trot in the quest for a record four but its all a backdrop for a mouthwatering local derby next weekend - and i cant wait for that game

will arsenal pick themselves up from the dust of two losses on the trot in manchester within two weeks and go on to retain their top 4 spot (i sincerely wanted them too but some of their attitudes to adebayor really rubbed me up the wrong way cos in england itself it seemed more race motivated than anything else to me - yet wenger retains my respect cos he said before the game that the fans had to respect what the player had achieved for the club in the past - and he also stated that despite the behavior of running down the line and rubbing in the scoring of a goal into the taunting offenders faces which was "not welcome" he didnt see the tackle on van persie as being of malicious intent )

so its all in the balance as the beginning of a season should prove to be yet it isnt a settled season yet - only february march starts getting closer to the true shape of how a title race will land up being run - last season united barely scored but also barely conceded any goals in a long run of clean sheets - will this season be the same or will the united defence prove to be a sieve leaking goals left right and centre if fergusson keeps faith in Ben Foster who im truly unhappy with - but then again fergies happy with him and he has won 11 premier league titles and two champions league titles (amongst many FA cups and league cups and even a club world cup) whilst i sit on an armchair and just watched those titles materialize - so who am i to second guess him :wink:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I am so sad! :( No problem with Abe though.
naughty

Post by naughty »

righto - more-or-less a regulation weekend - with the on form sides all getting their wins - the one talking point will be the united vs city match - and the main aspect of it is the extra time - so as usual as the one with the united tinted spectacles here i will offer the explanation about the extra time

1) remember that when the 4th official holds up the amount of time its the minimum to be added on

2) as the official held up the board stating 4 minutes were to be played it was 89 minutes and 55 seconds when Rio passed the ball to city so they could score a last gasp equalizer - so the counting starts after the game restarts - so its 4 minutes minimum after that - the game restarted at 91:05 - so add on 1 minute and 5 seconds into the equation

3) carrick was substituted for anderson - any substitutions add 30 seconds into extra time

4) united scored at 95:20 (ie 10 seconds before the ref would have blown) - one minute now gets added for the goal and celebrations

so does that "add up" to the 7 minutes everyone (read conspiracy theorists) are complaining about :wink:

besides you have to play to the whistle - and if city were the side that were awake they would have been the ones to sneak the win but they considered it job done and went off to sleep - so who do you blame for that - united to their credit never gave up till the final whistle - remember whatever time is added on is for both teams - its not like united played on whilst city were not allowed to - so you have to play till the ref blows the whistle

to city's credit though they did make for a helluva Derby match - tevez at least made the opening goal for Barry after fosters howler - and even though Rio gifted the last minute goal to city - that one still had to be scored so well done Bellamy ..... but that cracker that he (Bellamy) put into the top right corner is surely one of the contenders for goal of the season as well

whatever the result was this was one cracking match - im biased toward the united front so i have to say i enjoyed it more cos we won but even if it finished in a draw i'd have been satisfied with the entertainment on offer

this weekend showed exactly why united, chelsea and liverpool as well as arsenal will all be there or thereabouts come the end of the season and why city as well as spurs basically make up the best of the rest

one final word of analysis from the city vs united match - city have no problems offensively - they have enough quality strikers to score plenty of goals - but come the big matches they dont have the necessary defensive qualities - shay given is a goal line keeper as pointed out by Gary Bailey in the post match analysis - he wont come rushing out for any high balls sent into the area - and basically berbatov wasnt able to take advantage of this fact three times at least but Darren Fletcher managed to do so twice - im sure city are now going to face a barrage of high balls in their area for the rest of the season cos they dont have an answer for that

anyone who says that united didnt deserve to win that game - you did not watch the second half - united dominated the game and it was only defensive errors and rare counters that allowed city to score even though they had a nice period in the first half they were largely absent as an attacking force in the second half - in fact in the second half the only time tevez's name was mentioned was in connection to his acrimonious transfer to city but Craig Bellamy earned his wages for sure - all credit to him - but i feel him striking a fan should deserve him a couple of matches banned cos its far worse than adebayor running the length of the pitch to celebrate a goal which to me was harmless yet he gets a potential ban for that he did not raise his hands to any fan - (what he is definitely banned 3 games for is the stamp on Van persies hand which landed up damaging van persies head as well - the celebration ban is still on appeal)

BTW anyone else noticed that the two hero's of both sides were ex liverpool players :P

EDIT : one final point of note is that i read somewhere that Carlos Tevez thought he would get a good reception from the united fans because they all supported him with that sign-him-up nonsense that had begun last season but i reckon he used up all the goodwill after his nonsensical ramblings against someone that most united fans still consider as something of a "deity" - if you talk nonsense about Sir Alex - then dont come back to old trafford as Tevez found out as his every touch of the ball was booed today (to his obvious bemusement) and IMHO deservedly so - going to city was one thing which in the final analysis was neither here nor there - talking absolute bollocks about Sir Alex altogether another thing which no united fan will ever let you forget if you are an ex-united player - and even when beckham and Van Nistleroy had their problems and landed up leaving the club they still never said a word against the manager who made them into living legends as far as the game of football was concerned - that is true class - leaving the club and then whinging to all and sundry who wanted to listen (especially the members of the press) about how "the big bad manager never let me play when i could have won the champions league for him single handedly" was never ever going to endear him to the old trafford faithful not even to the muppets who for so long sang "sign him up fergie " - so tevez - all it took to go from hero to zero was one "moronic and mindless" press interview from your side
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
naughty

Post by naughty »

at this stage - ive also heard about the fact that some united fan apparently threw a coin at tevez and struck the "wrong man" ..... Javier Garrido by mistake - this a reflection of the football fan as a whole

does the fact that you think you pay to attend the matches allow you to think that you can go ahead and besides hurling abuse at a player you should also throw coins and other damaging items around and hurt people

i hope they find the moron responsible and fine him to the utmost - it is reprehensible behavior and to think that some other decent person could have been watching the match instead of an "oxygen thief" like that - i sincerely hope he is definitely found and banned from being anywhere close to a football stadium ever again

passion for the game shouldnt become violent hooliganism at every opportunity - i hope we are able to avoid any similar incidents during the world cup - and in future sporting matches but to be honest fans throughout the world are becoming more and more braindead by the minute - how do you enjoy game whilst indulging in stupidity of the highest order like this

and YES all you ABU's would be correct in that it was inevitably a united fan - so unfortunately morons like that tarnish the others with their brush of utter lunacy - it is definitely not a defence to say that every club suffers such acts of idiocy even though they do - two "wrongs" will never make a "right" - so united fans the world over need to be ashamed over things like this
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

No ways, I think Adebayor's conduct was out of line. He deserved more than the 3 match ban he received.

As far as the Manchester derby, I think Man U definitely deserved the win, and the Man City supporters are just being cry babies. Like you say, you play to the whistle, not to when you think the game should be over.

I must say so far Chelsea is looking very much in control to win it this year, but still early days.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

You have to play until the final whistle blows, just a fact. I was disappointed in the derby result, would have loved a draw. But never the less, Chelsea are looking good, very good.
naughty

Post by naughty »

BREAKING NEWS : following the goal against liverpool for sunderland there is a new rumour that Mark Hughes is interested in signing MR Balloon for a record fee of 100 million pounds with a rumoured wage packet of 2000000 pounds per week

Hughes claims that it would be a dream signing as Balloon has scored more goals in the league than Riera, Voronin, Lucas and mascherano put together. Mr Balloon is also in contention to win the Balloon D'or.

Manchester City boss Mark Hughes Confirmed, " We did not expect him to have the impact that he did, he is a bit light weight, but has a natural finishing ability as he confirmed yesterday." so apparently the funds will be made available as soon as the january transfer window opens"

Meanwhile Liverpool FC claim they were hard done by as Balloon was clearly offside. The only problem with this contention is that you cannot be offside for an own goal

note this just a bit of tongue-in-cheek humour - this could have happened to any team - just glad it didnt happen to mine
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

naughty

Post by naughty »

the beach ball explained ie who threw it was it the first one or the second

anyway liverpool fans shouldnt get too "deflated" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
naughty

Post by naughty »

congratulations to liverpool to beat united at anfield - it was a hard fought game - and liverpool emerged worthy winners - no sour grapes from my side - now united need to put this behind them and just play football as they usually do after a loss

still very early to look at the log table and i reckon even at the halfway point its still too early but liverpool look like they can start up the climb up to the top 4 again - i have no problems with that as long as the usual top 4 all finish above Man City

but looking at the table now i think that the usual charge creating a gap between the top 4 and the rest is not going to happen this season since spurs and city as well as aston villa are all up there in the points at the moment and still keeping up with the top 4 - its defnitely going to be a closer competitive season with the top 4 not anywhere close to being determined yet and the best of the rest is going to be a close run thing as well
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Holy beach balls we needed that win.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

That was harsh.
Loosing like that.
My poor team, but Liver needed the win, bugup making it happen.
Till next time.
naughty

Post by naughty »

carling cup match tonight between liverpool and arsenal was a totally exhilarating match - as a neutral i have to say that matches like this are what i watch football for

the way the liverpool second string played it was the closest i ever have been to wanting them to win - some of the players in the liverpool reserves actually play with the same flair and style that players from their first team display - David Ngog did well and phillip Degen was impressive and the goal from insua was a cracker

BUT

you cannot say enough about how well the second string Arsenal side play - they play more or less like their senior counterparts and the game was full of sublime one touch passing and intelligent off the ball movement all of which presented some thoroughly enjoyable football action

well done to arsenal for winning and well done to liverpool for playing well enough to force arsenal to put up that display of fantastic and enjoyable football - i actually enjoyed watching this more than uniteds match which for me was full of the tension of wanting my team to win but sweating each time one of our players made a mistake (which unfortunately was often) - uniteds second string have not developed a style of play yet and sad to say neither have the senior side once Christiano Ronaldo has left since our style used to be that everything must go through him - so for the moment united are caught inbetween trying out many different styles of play - and its filtered out to our reserve players as well but im sure given time we can sort that out - plenty more games left to go yet

is it just me or are these carling cup matces actually more exciting than even the champions league matches which are turning out to be dour defensive and tactical games with not much excitement cos no-one really wants to make a tactical error hence the matches become cagey and boring (same with league matches too) - so these knockout cups with the kids playing are a refreshing change with football being played in the manner it was meant to be ie all or nothing because if you lose you are out of the running
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Wasn't the prettiest game by Arsenal, but an awesome finish by Arshavin and good play in the 2nd half. Nice to beat Liverpool at Anfield after a 6 year drought I think... Nice win!

Gooner for life... 8)
naughty

Post by naughty »

ryanrich wrote:Wasn't the prettiest game by Arsenal, but an awesome finish by Arshavin and good play in the 2nd half. Nice to beat Liverpool at Anfield after a 6 year drought I think... Nice win!

Gooner for life... 8)
it just keeps getting worse for liverpool though - i think that in this month alone after the last three games Rafa came up with a statement that the season starts now - but they went on to lose those three games

United also had a chance to get level on points with chelsea after chelsea slipped up by drawing at everton - but they blew it

arsenal also has a game in hand so they are potentially equal on points with united - so as it stands united are three behind chelsea and the gunners are three behind united but with a game in hand - villa have also leapfrogged spurs into 4th place - and its a huge battle between villa and spurs and also man city as to who can replace liverpool in the champions league spots

but its really an open season - still anyones league and i reckon we are still no closer to seeing the usual top 4 building up a huge points gap up at the top - that is just not going to happen this season ..... its going to be close and possibly really go down to the wire this season
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yeah it's great that it's such a close season, especially from the likes of Villa, Spurs and City stepping it up big time this year...
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well, here is hoping :D
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I wonder if there's any significance to the fact that [url=http://4press.biz/paul-the-psychic-octo ... away/1878/]Paul the octopus[url] died the very same week in which Liverpool finally won a match. Heart attack?
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

3-1. Amazing. Never expected it and there was so many people who said we would be relegated.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

all i can say is nani is douchebag
naughty

Post by naughty »

RiaX wrote:all i can say is nani is douchebag
really? - because he got kicked by carragher who is a cheat and almost had his leg broken and gashed to bits .... did you see the damage that Carragher caused

yes Rooney is a cheat too for elbowing mccarthy but if thats the case then Carragher is even more of a cheat for trying to break someones leg and take away his means of earning a living

Nani may be a drama queen but whats worse - to be a blatant dirty player or to be a drama queen

anyone who blames Nani for the incident is a knob and needs an attitude adjustment - and im sorry but you havent got a clue as to what constitutes decent behaviour based on your statement so you should be the last person in the world calling anyone else a douchebag
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

hmmmm i dont really watch soccer so i decided to check this so called injury. He was hurt fair enough but he got up fast to complain to the ref. If his leg was seriously broken he wouldnt have stood up at all. Drogba's leg injury thats a bad injury.

Then torres goes like "hold on" and nani falls like a noob. Secondly he lashed out at the medical staff for what ? douchebag

finally he left crying like a f@g .... drama queen douchebag.

His injury isnt severe but its severe enough to maybe take him out for a season
naughty

Post by naughty »

Then torres goes like "hold on" and nani falls like a noob
HMMM .... so i suppose that all this happened when united played Chelsea ....... cos wthats where Torres is now playing ...... i did say that you were clueless and you just go ahead and prove me right

and anyone who is happy that a player is out for the rest of a season is a total knob - i can think of stronger words but i cant say them in this forum

besides do you know how serious it is even if you are out for two weeks? the club is paying your wages for the amount of time you are out - then you are not training for that amount of time - when you come back it takes months before you can play decently again which is why players hate to be injured cos its like they have to relearn everything they knew before the injury

just cos Nani blubbered like a little girl and tried to draw attention to his wounds doesnt mean he wasnt truly hurt - yes he is despicable for his actions but that doesnt make Carragher any less of a cheating thug (oh yeah an attitude of "he cant twinkle toe past me if he is down on the floor injured can he" ..... that makes Carragher out to be a BIG Man now ..... NOT and the same goes for all those brain dead idiots who support his actions ) and to tell you the truth Nani has more footballing talent in his little finger than Carragher would be able to develop in his entire body over the next 100 centuries

and anyone who is happy at what Carragher did is a pillock and a (euphimism for a cat) in my eyes whoever it was that was involved in the incident cos it was not a pleasant thing that was perpetrated
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I'm not saying it was a fair challenge and Carragher was asking for a red but there were other challenges in the game that warranted red cards for both sides players.

Nani is a little ***** though. He was tackled, got up and ran over to the ref to complain and then dropped like he'd been hit with a spade and started crying. Lashing out at the person who was trying to help him was bad dude, I'd have punched Nani if he'd had done that to me.

I'd expect that from Drogba.

If you think that there's nothing wrong with that then I have to say I'm not surprised.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

sigh... again you missing the point i dont care about the seaason, nor do i care about soccer. Im saying he is a douchebag because he lashed out at the medical staff. I agree nani is a little ***** rofl

if i was that referee i wouldve given a red to carragher. This is why i dont like soccer every player on the field is a little fairy.

Secondly the fact that you defending nani by claiming "more talent in his finger.... bla bla bla", means you blinded by your support as a fan. That injury isnt serious and they will make a big deal out of it. As i said soccer players are fairies and little ** ** **, no other sport do you see such ******.

As for being out of the season, tough luck son its part of the game deal with it. Thats what it means to be a professional sportsman