the Barclays English Premier League thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
naughty

the Barclays English Premier League thread

Post by naughty »

well people who follow English football can finally discuss the premier league irrespective of the team you follow

i personally am a united fan - but im aware of many teams in the league as well as their players - and i think that we can all have some decent discussions on those

even though my team has made a terrible start to the season and we are lying mid table right now its still early days yet and i will only start panicking if we are are mid table by the halfway mark of the season - but yeah right now United could do without losing too many more games

Chelsea and liverpool seem to be doing okay and to me the surprise of the season has been the start that Man City have made

if you have any news, views and opinions then be sure to post them here - and if you wantto discuss any other league then please start another thread for it (champion league too) lets leave this one for discussing and disecting all the games we watch on TV as the season goes on
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

I hope Chelsea does not win the league. I do hope United start to lay well and win games. Arsenal seem like they struggling a bit but I expect them to improve before too long.
Dooza

Post by Dooza »

I can't wait for this weekends game its Sir Alex vs Keane. Keane has done a great job at Sunderland so far but I don't think they gonna beat United this weekend, we need the points to much. I just read a report that both Saha and Anderson will be with for the game this weekend as much as I dislike Saha I think Tevez can do with some help upfront
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

I agree he needs some help. I wonder how Manchester City will fare in their next few games since they lost last weekend. Whats happening to Tottenham Hotspur at the moment? They did so well in pre season but now battling in the premier league.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

I support Arsenal in the Premier, always have, used to watch them play at Highbury, way back in 1972! No Premier then but still good footie.

Robin Van Persie is my favourite, I expect him to take over from the great Henry, was really sorry to see him go. Arsenal have started off as usual, lots of drawn games, must speak to Wenger about his team formation. :P

lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Barclays Premier League 2007/08
Pos. Team P W D L F A GD Pts
1 Chelsea 4 3 1 0 7 4 3 10
2 Man City 4 3 0 1 4 1 3 9
3 Wigan 4 2 1 1 6 3 3 7
4 Liverpool 3 2 1 0 5 2 3 7
5 Everton 4 2 1 1 6 4 2 7
6 Arsenal 3 2 1 0 4 2 2 7
7 Newcastle 3 1 2 0 5 3 2 5
8 Portsmouth 4 1 2 1 6 5 1 5
9 Blackburn 3 1 2 0 4 3 1 5
10 Man Utd 4 1 2 1 2 2 0 5
11 Aston Villa 3 1 1 1 3 3 0 4
12 Birmingham 4 1 1 2 6 7 -1 4
13 Middlesbro 4 1 1 2 5 6 -1 4
14 West Ham 3 1 1 1 2 3 -1 4
15 Reading 4 1 1 2 2 5 -3 4
16 Sunderland 4 1 1 2 3 7 -4 4
17 Tottenham 4 1 0 3 5 5 0 3
18 Bolton 4 1 0 3 6 8 -2 3
19 Fulham 4 1 0 3 5 7 -2 3
20 Derby 4 0 1 3 3 9 -6 1
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

shouldn't this be in "The locker room" ??

:lookround: mods/admins?? :lookround:
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
naughty

Post by naughty »

I expect him to take over from the great Henry, was really sorry to see him go
i think there was too much difference of opinion between him and Wenger for him to be able to stay - but remember - its an 11 man game - no one player makes the team - so evenif you lose one player there will always be another to compensate
I wonder how Manchester City will fare in their next few games since they lost last weekend
im curious too - despite the good manager and some good pre-season purchases im not convinced of their staying power at the top of the league - these guys are actually doing very well in the beginning so i want to see how they end the season - are they going to cause an upset and make one of the "usual suspect" teams miss out on a champions league place - or will they settle back to their usual place in the scheme of things
I think Tevez can do with some help upfront
totally

Whats happening to Tottenham Hotspur at the moment? They did so well in pre season but now battling in the premier league.
i think that they are unsettled due to the commotion over Martin Jol and whether he was going to be replaced - such hysteria over someone who is keeping them around as good as they can be with the team that they have - IMHO they should just let the guy get on with the job and look at long term - look at Sir Alex - just when United were ready to replace him he just started producing some results - and they persevered with him and the rest as they say is "history" - this chopping and changing of managers tends to unsettle teams IMHO

see this article

http://www.soccerway.com/news/2007/Augu ... anager-jol

when your future is hanging in the balance you wont be able to perform very well despite being determined to want to prove that you can handle it - i think that spurs shot themselves in the foot with all of this ruckus - and its showing in their results - despite having some topnotch players like Berbatov and Robbie Keane

i wonder whats going to happen about this though

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/manche ... 4/catid_71
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
naughty

Post by naughty »

PaperCut wrote:shouldn't this be in "The locker room" ??

:lookround: mods/admins?? :lookround:
whoops - sorry if its in the wrong place then mods can please move it
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

:biggrin:

just doin my bit for the environment

:D
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Ok, will move!
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

Looks like Wigan are doing well so far but how long will that last before they fall away again like last year? Everton were doing well until last weekend. Can they get into the Champions League?
naughty

Post by naughty »

Wigan will still finish below the top 10 teams - once they start playing the chelseas and arsenals they are gonna start getting demoralised

as for everton i expect them to do just like they did last season ie finishing decently in the bubbling under teams but i think still the champions league places are reserved for the likes of teams like ManU, Chelsea, Liverpool ,Arsenal (in no particular order) those teams will still be in that top 5 no matter what and whichever order but looking at the players each team has those are the contenders
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

How you think Man United will fare this weekend against Sunderland? Last time Sunderland was in the Premier they held United to a nil nil draw. What other interesting fixtures are there?
naughty

Post by naughty »

well im hoping that united will absolutely anhillate sunderland - but they are a team that i used to admire when they were in the premier league for one main player at that time ie Kevin Phillips who unfortunately left them when they were relegated

heres a link to this weeks fixtures

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Fixtu ... 06,00.html

not too many other interesting games on this week - its all big clubs playing small clubs - but the following week united take on everton on the 15th and spurs play arsenal

and then on the 23rd united will clash with chelsea at old trafford - thats gonna be a big match IMHO - expectation for vboth sides is going to be really high - its gonna be one of those where united could go a massive amount of points behind and allow chelsea a huge gap early on - or they could close the gap a decent bit - i cant wait for that one - i just hope i have my big screen tv by then - im waiting for some speakers to arrive before i collect the whole new home theatre and big screen tv setup
badguy

Post by badguy »

sorry edit
naughty

Post by naughty »

okay - its now become a relief when united gets to win a game - and beating Roy Keanes Sunderland was akin to going to the toilet after having a hard crap onboard ..... it was that relieving - and it was even more relieving when Chelsea went and lost to Aston Villa - its keeping the gap respectable

in a few more games the table will stasrt looking a bit more normal ie right now its liverpool at the top with a game in hand - but after a couple of games im sure it will be business as usual concerning united and Chelsea - but i think that this season will prove a lot closer than the two horse race that last season was

unless United gets over the fact that Rooney isnt playing and some other guys start scoring goals
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

Hi

I personally think that Chelsea are cracking at the seams. The Villa match proved it somewhat. They have quality throughout the squad but its much of a muchness, e.g. Essien-Mikel-Makalele. I wonder if its an over reliance on the Drogba-Lampard-Terry axis? :?

I'm extremely chuffed at the start that 'Pool have made. The addition of Torres and Voronin have made an instant impact on the forward line. Pennant's crossing and general play has improved, just his composure needs refining. Babel is going to be a massive player for the Reds this season!

As for Man Utd, when is the goal feast going to start? 1-0 victories smack of Chelsea of old. Needs to be sorted out real soon I would think. Going to be a long hard season :wink:

Arsenal are being written off very unfairly. There are young talented players in that squad that are hungry for success. A replacement is needed for Lehmann a.s.a.p, the glaring weakness in their line-up.

The log as it stands is the shake up the Premiership has needed for a long time.

My 2c

L8r
Owner @ Quick Flow IT
Xbox 360 Services

PC: In need of an upgrade :)
Dooza

Post by Dooza »

Man United are gonna do a lot better after the international break. Saha will be match fit, Ronaldo is gonna be back and there is a chance that both Rooney and Neville will be back as well, our next game is Everton but thats only on the 15th of Sept. and I know the guys will start performing once most of them get back in the team. The thing that i'm not liking at the moment is the fact that we seem a lot less dangerous when Ronaldo is not playing, surely we can't rely on 1 guy that much
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

@ Dooza

You hit the nail on head! Ronaldo is Man U's game breaker for sure in tandem with Rooney.

I also feel that Scholes drifts in & out of matches atm.

But who am I to analyse Utd's game? I love their slow start :lol:

You'll Never Walk Alone
juDge

Post by juDge »

Well i know i might get flamed for this but i definitely do not like Man Utd! I they remind me of Real MAdrid, all these big names in the team but yet they dont do as well as they should. I am a Magpie supporter :lol:
Intel Corei5 2500 3.3GHZ
8GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333mhz Ram
Asus P8H67-M Motherboard
MSI 570GTX-Twin-Frozr-III Power Edition OC
Coollermaster HAF 922 Case
Coollermaster Extreme 550w PSU
Samsung 24" LED S24A350H 2ms
maestro_za

Post by maestro_za »

@ juDge :lol: :lol: :lol:

It must grate, however, that there has been a trophy at St. Jame's Park since the '70s :wink:

:lol:
CesarePlay

Post by CesarePlay »

I could not believe that CHELSEA actually lost. The commentator at supersport was so sure Chelsea would win. If only United will discover what the goal looks like and become good friends with it and score more goals. On a interesting note Arsenal are the fourth team to score 6000 or more goals in top flight football in English football history. I know two others were Liverpool and Everton but I can't remember the other one.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Pennant's crossing and general play has improved
yeah - so far he is my player of the season so far - whatever ive seen of him has been impressing me no end - he has always been fast - now he is still fast but has gotten an injection of talent from somewhere - he seems to be clicking this season

You hit the nail on head! Ronaldo is Man U's game breaker for sure in tandem with Rooney.
i would have to agree - even when rooney isnt scoring for example at the beginning of last season ... it took him forever to get going on the scoring bandwagon ..... but his presence strikes fear into opposing defenders and he alwasy draws a defender or two away from the guys in the thick of the action when he isnt involved - giggs and Ronaldo are the same - without those guys there united are just another side
Well i know i might get flamed for this but i definitely do not like Man Utd!
not at all - this discussion is open to supporters of all sides - we are discussing the league and hopefully as the season goes on we will have lots of talking points - one team doesnt make a league and therefore it will be nice if supporters of other sides also contribute to the discussion - itsnot all about united only - we could talk about sunderland the whole season for all i care as long as those guys produce good football :wink:
marlboro_ferrari

Post by marlboro_ferrari »

bennie maak jou mal
U can hate me now

my dream pc:
intel pentium II 400mhz
256mb ram
40gb hdd
4.1gb hdd
windows xp
a keybord and mouse