the Barclays English Premier League thread

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Frozenfireside

Re: the Barclays English Premier League thread

Post by Frozenfireside »

Total pawnage.

Edit: OMW that game was so left to the last minute. I swear they will need to replace the goal posts of the Fulham stadium.

Thanks for a very entertaining but 'heart-in-mouth' win Liverpool.

Please let Manchester United draw.Please let Manchester United draw.Please let Manchester United draw.Please let Manchester United draw.

There is no real chance of them losing :cry:

edit: I also found this.
Steven G. giving it wellie.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
naughty

Post by naughty »

what a weekend of football - liverpools last minute winner on a game that kept you on the edge of your seat but very well done to liverpool
OMW that game was so left to the last minute. I swear they will need to replace the goal posts of the Fulham stadium.
so was that due to the goalposts moving about to "deny" liverpool or terribly poor shooting ....... you decide :P :P :P :P :P :P

but the cherry on the cake this sunday was 17 year old kiko macheda's last minute stoppage time winner for united - fresh from a hat trick for the reserves (a game that i watched on MUTV BTW) but this lad is going to go places in the future - to me he is a more natural talent than Danny Wellbeck - this goal kept united still keeping the door ajar in liverpools face

BUT anything can happen with 7 games left - it still isnt safe to breathe - the action just isnt going to stop - i need to buy myself a scuba tank - im struggling from a lack of qxygen right now :P
Steven G. giving it wellie.
maybe thats why liverpool kept hitting the post - they were more worried about kicking face instead of kicking the ball ....... just a joke and some playful banter before anyone else accuses me of hating liverpool - i reiterate that right now i appreciate the challenge they are presenting cos they are making us realize it isnt gonna be easy and might just spur us on to some great success for this season - so thanks liverpool :wink:
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

0-1 or 3-2
Pick one?

Man U. put us all into a false sense of security by going 2-1 down but they played well and the 3rd goal was amazing.

You can never discount Manchester U. until the whistle has blown.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Go Everton!!! Well done! Fail Manchester United. Just fail. You had some decent chances.
naughty

Post by naughty »

presenting to you the Barclays Premier League champions of the 2008/2009 season (drumrolls please)

may 27th 2009 destination Rome - bring it on Barcelona

BTW well done to Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal - its been an exceptional premier league season even thoguh the final result may not meet with everyones approval but its been a football fest - i for one thoroughly enjoyed it - hope next season is just as awesome more so because i plan to watch most of it in HD glory when i get myself an HD decoder

good luck to all teams for next season
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Congrats. Best season ever.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well done Manchester United, just for a moment I thought Arsenal would make them wait for another week :D
naughty

Post by naughty »

congratulations to Barcelona on their champions league win - normally you wouldnt hear me say this but we were outclassed absolutely in that game - so fair play to Barca as they emerged as worthy winners
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Agreed. naughty, I think you are the first Man U. supporter to say that and it's true.

Yes man U. are a great team but they spent 10mins firing at the goals and the rest of the match catching up which they never did.

I was impressed by Barcelona. Well done!!!

Bring on the new Premier season please :-)
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Barcelona were impressive, half of bloody Arsenal in their team, but well done to them.
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Agreed Man United were outclassed by Barce...however I blame it on Sir Alex's first team choice

Why was Scholes not picked ahead of Anderson? And I would liked to have seen Tevez start too..

Personally I believe Barce are lucky winners if anything as they were lucky to get past Chelsea in the semi's - thanks to poor refereeing

And personally I believe Man utd are the best team in world (As much as I hate saying), with Chelsea or Barcelona at second.
I am 63% addicted to Counterstrike. What about you?
naughty

Post by naughty »

And personally I believe Man utd are the best team in world (As much as I hate saying), with Chelsea or Barcelona at second.
list of the best teams of the world as per 2008/2009 season Barca and united joint first - chelsea third - so your opinion is very close to how it finished off :wink: - would have been very different rankings IMO had chelsea managed to beat Barca in the semi-final of the champions league

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/20 ... b-rankings
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

What weird stats were used that could place two teams in joint first :?:
naughty

Post by naughty »

it is a points based thing not an opinion based thing - so its fairly accurate - its based on league standings and tournament positions - for all the relevant tournaments involved - so you get points based on what you win - so it shows that barca and united won more or less a similar number of trophies this season - united have won it two years in a row previously
naughty

Post by naughty »

Christiano Ronaldo's latest trick - LOL - let it load fully and watch it when its moving at a fast framerate

alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

@ naughty:

LOL! I have to say I'm not a Ronaldo fan....

I have no problem in recognising his talent, but just don't like his attitude. And possibly the fact that I support Chelsea has something to do with this.... :)
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

Yeah another 1 for the blues!!! :thumbleft:

Thats a great looking chelsea football club logo you have there in your sig mate :wink:

Wear it proudly.... :lol:
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

ADV4NCED wrote:Yeah another 1 for the blues!!! :thumbleft:

Thats a great looking chelsea football club logo you have there in your sig mate :wink:

Thanks, I will! :mrgreen:

So what do you think of Carlo Ancelotti?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

alliesmeister wrote:
ADV4NCED wrote:Yeah another 1 for the blues!!! :thumbleft:

Thanks, I will! :mrgreen:

So what do you think of Carlo Ancelotti?
Well he's highly rated and Chelsea have been after him for quite awhile...

Im hoping he will do the same or better what Hiddink did for us...

Ummm maybe the only thing im slightly concerned about is that coming from the italian league to premier league...is quite a dramatic change in football. Shevchenko brings back bad memories!

Other than I'm quite happy with them choosing Ancelotti :)

What u guys think?
naughty

Post by naughty »

Im hoping he will do the same or better what Hiddink did for us...
to be honest i think he will be an anticlimax - chelsea are going good then bad then good then bad - mourinho was super good - then scolari was only average (many people think he was bad) then hiddink was good - ancelloti will probably be rubbish - then the next manager will probably be good

that seems to be the pattern they are following - but when they get a good manager and they dont win the champions league they need to hold on to him and give him three seasons - let him build the team toward doing it gradually cause as Roman is finding out - you cant buy your way to it - only stability will allow you to win it - united lost it this season cos they were not stable ie the CR7 and Tevez saga's hanging over their head - the only way to champions league success is if the entire team as well as the manager is satisfied and all want to give their very best
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

lol I'm not gonna start discrediting Ancellotti before I've been able to see how he does at Chelsea..

I also think to base your judgement on our new manager because of a 'pattern' you have picked out...is probably not a good way to tackle the subject either..

Btw you forgot Avram grant after mourinho who despite what cristism he got, actually did damn well come the end of the season. I personally think scolari needed more

time as he started off our season really well....we actually did look like the number 1 team for the first couple weeks maybe month of the season.

I'll wait until I see Ancelloti in action and what changes he makes over the transfer period to begin my judgement of him..
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

I think that Ancelotti will bring a lot of positives to The Blues. I still believe that Scolari didn't perform because of the difference between national and league football. On a completely other subject, what do you guys think of the £80 000 000 transfer bid that Man U accepted from Real for Ronaldo?
ADV4NCED

Post by ADV4NCED »

**** me :shock:

my dad phoned me during a lecture today just to tell me dat (he's United all the way :pukeright: )

Still I cant believe it...I mean I was shocked kaka went to madrid but now Ronaldo too :shock:

I just didnt see Ferguson letting him go after the fight he so far put up...

Yeah its a hell of a lot of money but you know lol..he's a hell of a player.

I guess the Manc's are gonna argue recession, his team attitude and what not but if Chelsea had ronaldo and I was in charge, I would keep Ronaldo :P
naughty

Post by naughty »

i think that if ronaldo and tevez go - it paves the way for rooney and berbatov to now start earning their keep - it seems like its gonna now become rooneys season IMHO ....... well as far as Manchester United are concerned

they might need a marquee signing for shirt sales or something like that but they have enough players to remain competitive - especially if owen hargreaves can come back from his injury

not saying united wont struggle harder though - but it might be good for those other two players who have always been trying to live in the shadows of the shirt selling superstar (however good he is at free-kicks and running at opposition defences) - he was important to the united way of playing ie counter-attacking at pace that left other defences just trailing in their wake - best example as seen by the third goal in the champions league semi-final second leg against arsenal at the emirates

but they can afford to now buy a player or two that they can build into superstars exactly how they built him into a superstar - would have been nice if the building process started while he was there - but maybe its time for nani and anderson to step up to the plate - as well as maybe young Zoran Tosic (brilliant in technical ability but a bit small with not enough strength for the premier league yet but im sure those things can be worked on)

but if united fall apart cos one or two players leave then the strength in depth they talk about was all nonsense and i dont believe that to be the case at all - i think they will come out of this even stronger over the next couple of years and realize that putting faith in one huge superstar just to sell shirts is a foolhardy exercise - making enough money will depend on still winning the league - and they wont start losing just cos one player wanted to go to another club
alliesmeister

Post by alliesmeister »

@ Naughty: Good points made. Guess who's apparently about to sign for Real? David Villa from Valencia. Seems as if though they are placing all of their faith in the theory that Attack is the best defense...