Hertz dealers in KZN?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper
Processor: AMD PII x3 720 (4th core unlocke
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-M EVO
Graphics card: Sapphire 7790 Dual x OC
Memory: 8GB 1600 Vengeance kit

Hertz dealers in KZN?

Post by djwez »

As the title says I'm looking for a place in KZN (preferably Durban-ish) that sells or has Hertz audio components. I want to go listen to a set and see if i like them. Other options are Alpine and JL audio.

sadly the car hasn't arrived yet but the one thing i am working on is the audio... <<- Off topic :lol:
SykomantiS

Re: Hertz dealers in KZN?

Post by SykomantiS »

Good luck with that- I've been throught the same thing up here in Gauteng. I've managed to find a shop here in Pta, but it they don't seem to stock, I am going to have to order that HDP4 amp I want so badly...
I'll pm you the email address of the lady I mailed to get the distributor info.
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

thanks a mil man! lets hope i can find somewhere to give them a listen!
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, if I ever manage to complete my system before then, you're welcome to come and listen to mine. (Don't wait up though) :P
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

i'll definitely take you up on that offer ;) what does your set up consist of? how is it configured and how do you want it to be configured (when its done :P)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Nothing fancy yet.
Set of HSK 165 components for the front (already have those)
HCX 165 coax for the rear doors
HDP 4 amp - 150 wrms or something to that effect- 4 channel to match the speakers which are also all rated at 125wrms.

Looking for a nice satnav double din head unit. (have my eyes on a Kenwood DNX jobbie)
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

haha! the set you have (minus coax) is the one above the set I'm looking at! I'm looking at getting the ESK 165L splits
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I probably would've as well, but I picked the HSK's up for a steal, R1300 (2nd hand, granted, but still I had the guy demo them before shelling out)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Watch your thread for awhile because I am pretty sure the resident audio expert (and he really is a expert IMHO) will pop in and give you some pointers ;). Pretty naughty will know where you can get... :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

haha i was waiting for someone to say naughty will know ;) saw mention of naughty on another forum somewhere.

@syko, that's pretty decent! i saw an online place that has stock of some hertz products seems they don't have your amp though...

any specific reason for not wanting a sub? :roll:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Never said I don't want a sub ;)
But seeing as this kinda turned into a medium term project- I'll see what the performance is like before going the subwoofer route- I'm going to install it in that order anyway.
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

good thinking ;) staggered setup. that's what i would like to do but if I'm earning a fair amount next year ill probably get a kit..
naughty

Post by naughty »

haha i was waiting for someone to say naughty will know
sadly i dont know any Hertz dealers in KZN. When i wanted the Hertz stuff that i got, i had to get it from Razeen at Sounds Limited in Boksburg (they also sell stuff online too) - His courier charges were minimal - and really besides for those guys i dont know any other Hertz dealers which does not by any stretch mean that there arent any .... its just that i am not aware of who they are

Hertz is not bad but me personally i wont be fixated on any particular brand - there are plenty alternatives to keep you going IMHO but if its Hertz you want then you need to look for it but i reckon if you cannot find it easily enough then you should prepare to look at alternatives that are just as good.

Alpine as one of your stated alternatives is a good bet - around last month a buddy of mine who bought my Dynaudio speakers from me went ahead and got an alpine PDX4.150 amplifier at R2100 (second hand) and it runs his entire system ie Dynaudio splits and two 10" Resonant Engineering Rex10 subwoofers off a kenwood headunit and that system sounds pretty remarkable for what it is .... only problem though is that a new alpine PDX amp is going to set you back a fair bit but i saw some good alpine speakers in the clearance section at Navsonic recently and you can probably get that direct from them (the clearance stuff that is because they only supply dealers with the regular stuff)
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

OK, this is the third time replying to this post... lets hope the power doesn't go out again..... I do hope they don't have anymore trees to cut off of the power lines..

I've been using Sounds Limited as well as Acoustic Audio for getting pricing so far. I just don't want to fork out for the sound and then realize its not for my ears. I do wish I could listen to the Hertz speakers online (maybe it will be possible one day? :D )

If I cant find and try out the Hertz set up i will default to Alpine. I just need to put a set together for about R5k. (I can get the Alpine CDE-123R for just over R1600 and I don't think I am going to be disappointed by the HU.) I would like to stick to one brand name for all the gear. It can give a clean look (if its all visible) but I think I'm going to conceal as much of my sound as possible.

At the moment I'm looking at the Alpine HU and a set of splits. I will then get a 4 channel amp and run the sub off two of the channels (bridged). At a later stage I can always get a set of coax for the rear (or splits again if my mother get a new car and I take hers since the golf 4 has a spot in rear doors for tweeters as for as I can tell :? ) and a mono-block for the sub. I'm not really keen on getting speakers for the rear though... will see..

The one thing I am confused about is enclosures for the woofers (the ones on the split systems) none of the split systems I have seen have all the specs for creating an enclosure like with the subs (Qes,Qts,FS etc). Surely the frequency range could be boosted by enclosing the smaller woofers?

BTW I like the Hertz for the aesthetics ;) but it is all about the sound so if I cant hear them or they don't sound good I'll find a replacement.

Thanks for the reply naughty!
naughty

Post by naughty »

The one thing I am confused about is enclosures for the woofers (the ones on the split systems) none of the split systems I have seen have all the specs for creating an enclosure like with the subs (Qes,Qts,FS etc). Surely the frequency range could be boosted by enclosing the smaller woofers?
the woofers in a split system can possibly work better in an enclosure but most of them are designed to work in the space of a typical car door (note not all and i have to stress this since the last time i made a statement like this i had lots of guys calling me names because their particular brand was designed for a ported enclosure) but in general most will work absolutely fine in the airspace of a car door UNLESS they were specifically designed for an enclosure and most of them are not

if you want an enclosure within a door it is difficult and will add to install complexity and if you use a different location ie kick panels then it might be easier but will require some fancy fibreglass work - which will still add to install complexity and that additional complexity costs far more so i would look for stuff that would just work in a typical car door without too much effort required unless i have a huge budget for installation
At the moment I'm looking at the Alpine HU and a set of splits. I will then get a 4 channel amp and run the sub off two of the channels (bridged). At a later stage I can always get a set of coax for the rear (or splits again if my mother get a new car and I take hers since the golf 4 has a spot in rear doors for tweeters as for as I can tell :? ) and a mono-block for the sub. I'm not really keen on getting speakers for the rear though... will see..
well that sounds like a decent plan but if the headunit you are getting has amplifier for speakers then the rear speakers can be added to that built in power - so instead of getting better speakers at the back (the rear passengers do not pay for the sound :wink: you do so you deserve the best of it for yourself) so just get some decent coaxials as rear speakers and leave it at that and if you do wish to invest more then look at the front speakers or amplifier or headunit instead ie decide which of those is the weak point of the system and then upgrade that rather than rear speakers which you as the main listener and driver of the car do not really need

anyways good luck with whatever you decide to get and i hope it works out to give you decent tunes in your car - i am not going to recommend any brands because the type of stuff i usually buy will not suit your budget to be honest ie the last set of splits that i had (Dynaudio) normally retails at around about R6k to R7k on their own, so in terms of brands most of them will be adequately decent and the last bit of advice i can offer is that you should keep a fair bit aside for a professional install since thats the most important thing to making your setup sound really great things like a well built box for a sub and good front speaker positioning are important as is opening the car up and reassembling it to a decent standard and you dont want to give it to someone who will have a shedload of unexplained screws and nuts and bolts left over and terrible rattles while you drive :P
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

wez, are you going to add sound deadening?

Naughty, opinions on these?
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

hahaha! firstly no name calling shall be done here ! :P thought that it might be that!

i found a guy in Rbay that sells Hertz so i might give them a listen to when im down that side. other than that ive already started forming a setup with Alpine components. type s components and the Alpine PMX-F640. just not sure if the amp will handle 2ohms on a bridged channel. might just pop them an email when i get back.

Im planning on doing the install myself for a handful of reason. Id like to play around and understand the stuff. I also want to have the fun of piecing it together. Just that kind of person ;) ill make the boxes myself and will probaly go for a sealed enclosure. but i might make a couple boxes and see what gives the nicest sound. I'm going to do what most people dont and use 4 types of screws so if people try taking it out its going to give them a heard time. (hex square alen key and maybe philips)

anyways have an exam in a few...

thanks again! will post more or less the components im looking at later..
naughty

Post by naughty »

SykomantiS wrote:wez, are you going to add sound deadening?

Naughty, opinions on these?
opinions on whether you need sound deadening or which brands are decent to buy?

in terms of the need for it - yes it is a good thing because a car has too many things that prevent it from allowing your sound to be great ie wind noise, road and tyre rumble, exhaust noise, engine noise, reflective surfaces, rattling dash parts etc, etc, etc so any method that you use to isolate all of these noises would help to make your system reproduce the music with higher fidelity

in terms of brands i would say stick to :

1) whats within your pre-determined budget
2) what you can afford

as an example i can say that Dynamat is my favourite brand but if it lands up costing R3k for the amount required for your install then what does that leave from R5k for your equipment

in fact i can also safely say that at R5k you wont have the funds for it and it is going to be a secondary aim for a later time but it may be the thing that allows you to hear the music at its best by reducing the effects of the problems i highlighted above - so worry about it when you can afford to get it and even then look at the affordable stuff first (unless you win the lotto .... in that case Dynamat every bit of your car that you can)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I was referring to the latter- my car needs sound deadening- no question.

I've heard a lot of people say with dynamat you're just paying for a name. I'm not knocking the stuff- I have no idea or personal experience, which is why I'm asking- just trying to make sense of it all.
naughty

Post by naughty »

SykomantiS wrote:I was referring to the latter- my car needs sound deadening- no question.

I've heard a lot of people say with dynamat you're just paying for a name. I'm not knocking the stuff- I have no idea or personal experience, which is why I'm asking- just trying to make sense of it all.
well yeah .... but some names are worth paying for ie sometimes you can pay a R100k for an amp only for it to sound around 3% to 4% better than an amp that would cost R5k. Now a young kid who just passed his final exam getting his first job would get the R5k amp and be happy while his dad who is a company director will get the exact same pleasure from the R100k amp but you will always eventually reach a stage where you will eventually pay that 1000% more for that extra 1% improvement because you can afford the finer things in life

when you do reach that stage you wont settle for anything else other than the dynamat - or you may even pay R10k for a one metre cable between your CD player and amplifier even though most cables will sound about the same to human hearing

there are some people who will say that the more inert or dead you can make the car then the better your sound will be but actually that isnt the end of the story - thicker or heavier sound deadening isnt always going to be better especially if its going to be stuff thats so thick or inflexible that it forces your panels apart and then eventually creates more resonance than it reduces

but as i have said its all relative so dont worry too much about it - everyone will have their own opinion - so even if you research it to death you wont resolve the issue 100% in your own mind as to whats best - so basically just stick to what you can afford or whatever your installer recommends (as long as you can afford that) but since there are so many brands it's as confusing a question as what equipment will be best for you ..... and the answer to that one also is ..... whatever you can get easily and as long as you can afford it then "Bob's yer auntie's husband" :wink:

to me brands are all relative to how deep your pockets are and how much you believe the sales pitch and marketing :P and even then you could be getting the wrong stuff - its all about the luck of the draw
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

I agree completely with the marketing and brand name stuff!!

I am thinking of matting the car. What I want to do though is look for the areas that need it most. Ill do the inside of the doors and panels on the front though. Was looking at some ra dampening
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

Right time to post my options.... (feels like I'm doing a project log again :lol:)

First up - Head Unit:
Alpine CDE-123R :arrow: Clickety
This is most definitely my choice, seems to have everything i want and some. I have been quoted sub R2k(hey Ron) for one of them.

Next up the Components:
ALPINE SPS-610C :arrow: Clickety
opted for the S-type instead of G/E simply because they cost the same and apparently are better :roll:

Now for the Sub:
ALPINE SWS 1222D :arrow: Clickety
This happens to be a 2010 model of the S-type sub. cool thing is apparently it has a 2Ohm voice coil. I will probably run this at 4 ohms though.

Lastly the amp:
ALPINE PMX-F640 :arrow: Clickety
Now this is probably not going to be the one. i would like something with more power since the whole system is slightly under powered but if i do happen to see a nice 2nd hand amp ill ditch this one (or the idea of it) in a sec.

I was going to post the list of components from Hertz that i wanted but it seems the only guy in kzn that sells them wont even answer his cell :( so i wont be listening to a set anytime soon...

Total cost: under R6400 :D
naughty

Post by naughty »

in terms of the amp and since you are in KZN ..... Navsonic had a PDX4.150 (obviously a 4 x 150 watts) brand new in the clearance section at around R3250 if im not mistaken

they had one left and since thats been replaced by the PDX F4 i think they were clearing it cheaply (the F4 should be closer to around R6k) - it might mean a bigger investment but its definitely an amp i would look at since i heard Rish_ZN's one with the Dynaudio speakers and RE subs - that sounded terrific ... like a high end hi-fi in your car

you need to really read the manual though if you do the install on your own because the bridging options can be a bit confusing but we managed to get it right eventually
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper

Post by djwez »

something I'm confused about: Navsonic doesn't sell to the public except for clearance?

Oh im not one to skim the manual when its something expensive. already been looking at a few of the manuals.

In terms of the amp ill prolly get my splits and headunit first and wait a while before i get the amp. Not sure on what ill be earning next year yet but it could be more than i am expecting if it is ill definitely go for a PDX
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

djwez wrote:haha! the set you have (minus coax) is the one above the set I'm looking at! I'm looking at getting the ESK 165L splits
EXCELENT speakers those... I have a set of 4 in my car. Running of a chinese el cheapo head unit. Still sounds WAY better than the original speakers.