Help deciding a new car

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ADT

Re: Help deciding a new car

Post by ADT »

haha trolololo hman :P

Yeah Ranger FTW :)
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Hman wrote:
ADT wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:D4D ftl!
Don't get me wrong hilux is crap bakkies, ( the newish ones are just extremely plastic for me) , but every second bakkie around here is a hilux, rather going for the new ford ranger or vw amarok, but pulling more to the rangers side :)
:troll:
Indeed, fixed...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The whole Toyota range is overrated and too expensive imo.

Are you going for 4WD? If so, why?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
ADT

Post by ADT »

Yep 4WD, well i stay at the coast/desert , very ideal if i want to go fishing or go 4x4 in the dunes, and i have a quad, more ideal to pull it with a bakkie than sedan/hatchback and let's not even discus gravel roads
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

A friend of mine went to test drive a Toyota 86, here's his take on it...

http://www.ilovespeedbumps.com/test-dri ... toyota-86/
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

interesting review that HOWEVER ... there are a few things I dont quite agree with. The power aspect seems biased, I mean he is used to a lumina SS V8 vs Box4. I agree with the interior but thats not the model, thats the budget version the high end one is not out yet, it launches to dealers in august. The high end has a snazy interior and basically every feature you need. Though if you want a faster more powerful coupe with a luxury interior you can always pay 400k more for a boxster S, oh wait thats quite a lot of money no? for a budget sports car you really cant expect supremacy in every aspect. Also there are certain upgrades you can buy from toyota that would only be available on the High spec versions I got the booklet from toyota today. I totally agree with the review in terms of the low spec that he test drove but for 298k thats not a bad thing

One should remember whats the purpose of the 86, its a toy. Its a car you look good in and create your own sports car out of it, toyota has just provided the canvas its up to you to do the painting. It can come with a software upgrade that subaru is offering and toyota will allow you to take it to subaru to upgrade it and it wont effect your motor plan warranty and guaranty, though the details of the increase this software mod does is not out yet, it will be known when subaru launch their BRZ. In terms of sound for a 4cyc it sounds pretty good, obviously it wont have a v8 roar but it doesnt sound like lawn mower. Ive had a tour on the car but I will reserve my opinion when I test drive the high spec. Although the engine and box is the same everything else isnt.

Though the turbo aspect is opiniated, I personally dont like turbos. To me a device thats under high pressure and high heat seems like a part thats going to break and make your life hard. A good example for this is the BMW M3, since its conception its has been the king saloon racer and its destroyed its competitors without the use of turbos and anyone who claims it would lose in a drag race really doesnt understand the purpose of a race. Sure drag racing is a type of racing but thats an engineering competition over a driver's skill. Turbos have become a big thing because of CO2 emmission laws and bla bla bla. Toyota has already demonstrated how one can easily mod the car, TRD took hold of the gt86 and bumped it up to 235kw by making it bi-turboed in a 1020kg car, though i wonder where they got the space to fit the system under the bonet, I looked under there bonet you cant even fit a can of coke inside.

No disrespect to your buddy but a person writing a review on an item must always review it from all angles as unbiased as possible. In terms of cars it must be reviewed within its price bracket 300k, nothing of practicality was mentioned? fuel economy? does it satify the ideals of a sports car? looks? how it holds up against its competitors. There no point saying its nothing compared to my lumina SS, well duh the lumina has 4 more cyclinders, 4 litres bigger intake, turbo charged and it costs R160 000 more (do not exclude the lumina's running costs vs the 86) ... why dont we just compare it to an aston martin i mean they both sports cars with 2 seats? see my point its not fair to the 86, or perhaps thats the brillance of the car, that you are FORCED to compare it to these cars.

Anyways im buying the car to look awesome not to try to drive fast and drift then end up in a light pole LOL. Also im getting it to play fools around while I have no responsibility other than myself, later when the time comes I can buy another sedan that a family would need and still keep my 86 as my weekend toy. Being backed by 2 massive companies would mean it will be easily supported and there will be tons of aftermarket parts, thus it wont cost alot to modify. I orginally wanted to modify my BMW ... though I would end up bankrupt completing its AC schnitzer conversion lol. Not to mention all toyota sports cars hold their value fairly well so when im fed up with it I can sell it and it wont be such a loss as a m3 or porsche which i was planning to buy in the first place. Another aspect one must remember the running costs of this vechile is pretty cheap because the car itself is cheap. Im sick of buying tyres for R3000 each, and no one will give you a discount when you buy split profile and specific tyres (right/left) in essence you paying for 4 seperate tyres instead of 1 set of 4 tyres and its unlikely you will get a discount that way unless you have contacts in the tyre business, which I do not have. Im also sick of having fancy gadets failing around me and putting uneccessary expenses, I mean in my BMW it came with fancy cup holders that fold into the dash.. nice huh. Then it broke because its mechanical and it costs R2000 PER CUP HOLDER to fix i mean really? less pointless gadgets less things to break. So thats my logic for the 86/BRZ (i figured everyone will want the BRZ so I picked the toyota, cause name brands are apparently important in this day and age)

So let me reinforce what i've said your friend has very valid points but in a whole its a very poor review thats unfair to the 86.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

eish 6 month waiting period on scirocco R ... and they dont have a 2.0 tsi to test drive? what nonsense. I really hate arrogant sales people, well VW learnt their lesson
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Eish, went to look at an 86 up close and damn, it's like a piece of tupperware with 4 wheels and an engine. Not for me at all. It may be a fun "toy" on the track, but as an every day car, no thanks. I might just be too used to German interior quality though. For a fun, high revving N/A Japanese sports car my money will go to Honda every time. The S2000 is better than this car in almost every conceivable way.

If you don't like turbo cars why are you even looking at the Scirocco? R400k+ is a lot of money for something you don't like. Regarding reliability, if you take care of the turbo you won't have any more hassle than on an N/A car. I'm on my third turbo charged car now and haven't had an issue with any. Next M3 will be turbo charged btw, as is the F10 M5... ;)
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

R400k isnt that much money actually, and BMW is going back to turbos because of Co2 laws. I want a rocco cause it looks nice :D im particularly not interest in too much performance :)

Yeah S2000 is nice too bad they dont make it anymore huh.... but i refuse to buy a buy that doesnt have analogue dials the whole digital speedometer and tachometer really irritates me.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

What do you guys think of the new Hyundai i30? Saw one up close today and I must say, I like. Nice interior too. Not very fast though.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
ADT

Post by ADT »

KALSTER wrote:What do you guys think of the new Hyundai i30? Saw one up close today and I must say, I like. Nice interior too. Not very fast though.
drove a i30 when i was in jozi, and man that car is bloody slow and lazy :shock: , wasn't the new one tough but a 2011 model, i swear my corsa sport was faster than that car
Spoiler (show)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

This one's 0-100 time is 9.7s, which isn't blistering. But I am pretty happy with the speed of my 1.8 Corsa bakkie, so I might be ok with it.

Edit: might have been ok with it had I been able afford one. :)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

KALSTER wrote:What do you guys think of the new Hyundai i30? Saw one up close today and I must say, I like. Nice interior too. Not very fast though.
Good car, as with all Hyundai's these days(apart from that cruddy atoz that they insist on selling) it offers good value for money, build quality is good, warranty and service plan seem ok, looks nice.....but yes they do seem slow :?
ADT wrote:drove a i30 when i was in jozi, and man that car is bloody slow and lazy :shock: , wasn't the new one tough but a 2011 model, i swear my corsa sport was faster than that car

The old one was not the greatest of cars, hence why it did not sell all to well.

But then again Hyundai have never been know for making fast cars :wink:
ADT

Post by ADT »

THE_STIG wrote:
drove a Hyundai Tiburon back in the day, and they weren't that slow :P
Spoiler (show)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

ADT wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:
Not that fast either though. Really could have done with a turbo. Had pretty good ride and handling apparently.

An i30T would be a real popular car I'd imagine.

The Hyundai engines are fairly economical and have good CO2 numbers, but I guess they aren't refined enough where they can get a little extra performance out of them for the same economy figures.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

ADT wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:
True, but it was not as fast as lets say a BMW with a similarly sized engine
ADT

Post by ADT »

THE_STIG wrote:
ADT wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:
True, but it was not as fast as lets say a BMW with a similarly sized engine
you can't compare a german car, to a hyundai :shock: , u mad bro :P
Spoiler (show)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Just saying. That car was not slow, but not fast either........mostly because of that V6 which produced all of about 129kw, the Europeans can get that sort of power from a 1.8 :?

Why cant you compare it. You can compare a Polo to an i20 can you not?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The V6 was only like a 2l or something, no?
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

KALSTER wrote:The V6 was only like a 2l or something, no?
2.7 I think. But that is still very little power, thirsty too :?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Oh, I see there were two models, a 2l 4 cylinder and a 2.7l 6 cylinder. The latter had about 130kW. The i30 has 110kW and 0-100 in 9.7, so with a chip it might get to 130kW and then maybe gain a second on acceleration? 8.7 seconds wouldn't be too bad.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

I saw the i30 in person today looks great, good interior, nice like high urban vechile. Too bad we dont get the high performance hyundai in SA

For some strange reason we pay more for less. I mean why remove the Kia Koup supercharger? why remove the GT from toyota's GT86 and SA doesnt get hyundai's coupe the Gensis ... sjoe it looks good and has an amazing interior and dash, 3.8l V6 pushing 235kW (i think well its 200 and something)

http://worldwide.hyundai.com/WW/Showroo ... s_exterior
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

KALSTER wrote:
ADT wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:
Not that fast either though. Really could have done with a turbo. Had pretty good ride and handling apparently.
There is this metallic greenish turbo'd Tiburon that used to frequent Voortrekkers before that hideous accident and crack-down by Metro. That thing was stupid fast. :shock:
KALSTER wrote:Oh, I see there were two models, a 2l 4 cylinder and a 2.7l 6 cylinder. The latter had about 130kW. The i30 has 110kW and 0-100 in 9.7, so with a chip it might get to 130kW and then maybe gain a second on acceleration? 8.7 seconds wouldn't be too bad.
If it needs 130kW to do sub-9 seconds 0 - 100 then it's just sad. The 2006/up Civics can do it sub 9, and they only have 103kW (both the vtec and diesel variants).
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

RiaX wrote:R400k isnt that much money actually
Okay moneybags. I'll remember you come Christmas time... :lol:
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

:P im not chrisitan sir, and its not a lot of money for me because Im a miser LMAO ... if i wasnt such a miser I wouldve bought a porsche by now instead of waiting for the 86 :/