Help deciding a new car

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
RiaX

Help deciding a new car

Post by RiaX »

Sup guys im going to be buying a new car soon and i have a budget around 350k, I was really thinking getting the toyota GT86 any advice or alternatives I should consider I'm really battling making up my mind. Golf 6 GTI, Scirocco, maybe push the bar as high as a subaru WRX or BMW 320d (those standard)... sigh decisions decisions
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Help deciding a new car

Post by hamin_aus »

The 86 is R350K :?:

That's crazy its $28K here... about as fast, but not in the same league as the GTi in terms of comfort and luxury, but looks like a lot of fun.

If you like to drive like a loon, get get the WRX.
Personally I would not touch a diesel.

Just chucking this out here, but have you considered Audi?
The A4 2.0T FSI is pretty beastly and fits right into that budget of yours..
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Nothing wrong with the new generation of diesel engines. Has the performance with the economy to match.
It's interesting though that you're chucking in the 320d into that list.
I'd also look at Audi, those new ones are gorgeous. Or Honda :mrgreen: but I don't think they'd have something along the lines you want- horses for courses and all that.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Help deciding a new car

Post by Monty »

Not a fan of the bmw diesels - had an engine literally fall apart on me, my dad, my mum. So i wouldn't recommend it.

I would recommend Audi, they are sleek, beautiful, powerful.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I had the same budget when I was looking for a new car last year October and decided on the GTI 6, have never regretted it, absolutely awesome car.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I would also suggest the GTi.

The 86 is awesome, just not very practical.

The BMW diesels have improved a lot over the past generation, and are reliable. But its still a diesel, so meh...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Get two secondhand cars. :mrgreen:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Animal

Help deciding a new car

Post by Animal »

Get the GT86. Think it will be more fun to drive than the gti.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The GT86 sure gets glowing reviews. It is the same car as the Subaru BRZ.

Top Gear review: LINK
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

GT86 would for sure be a very fun car to drive, around a track. Not so sure as an every day drive. With peak power only coming in at 7000 rpm and peak torque at 6600 rpm you'll have to constantly be on the loud pedal, whereas a 2.0T has a lot of low down torque which gives you a lot of driveability without constantly wringing it's neck.

GT86 is much more attractive than the BRZ in my opinion, but basically the same engine and tech, so definitely my choice over the Subaru.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

lol I dispise Audis .... the Audi I like I cant afford lol
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

RiaX wrote:lol I dispise Audis .... the Audi I like I cant afford lol
A5?
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

A5 is too expensive comes with nothing and is sad without the S line kit, I checked it out. Besides Kinda tired of bigish cars I drive a e39 5-series BMW 525i with a AC schitnzer kit but its time she goes now. Anyways I myself am kinda leaning towards the GT86 since I dont really need a over practical car might as well buy a coupe while I can anyways still deciding on that

What about a G6 GTI 35ed ? is that really worth it for that extra bucks

Also although i said 350k i can push up to 400k (though i really wanna avoid it and if i get something in this range i want fancy extras :D) .... that said scirocco R ? someone told me the R-series is a bad idea as VW is using up OLD s3 engines and its go a very large very uncommon turbo and might pose to be a problem (something about 833 engine i dont know much about cars)
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:GT86 would for sure be a very fun car to drive, around a track. Not so sure as an every day drive. With peak power only coming in at 7000 rpm and peak torque at 6600 rpm you'll have to constantly be on the loud pedal, whereas a 2.0T has a lot of low down torque which gives you a lot of driveability without constantly wringing it's neck.
You would think so, but aparently its not that bad as a daily run around. Check out the Review in the SA version of TG. Its got a white Veyron on the cover.
ryanrich wrote:GT86 is much more attractive than the BRZ in my opinion, but basically the same engine and tech, so definitely my choice over the Subaru.
You best be trolling. There is hardly anything between them.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

The ED35 has the EA113 engine, which is from the current S3 and Golf R as well. The previous issues (PCV, heavy oil use, carbon build up) have been remedied, but it's still not as fuel efficient or smooth as the newer technology EA888 engine found in the GTI and Audi 2.0T's.

The ED35 has a very common turbo amongst VW/Audi (Borg Warner K04), so not sure where your friend got that info. If you're planning on staying stock then the ED35 is a great car as it comes with the larger turbo standard. If you plan to mod the car, even just a software remap then the GTI is a great way to go. My GTI makes around 210kW / 415nm with minimal mods, and I plan to upgrade my turbo to a K04 in a year or so which will take it to a whole other level. My fuel consumption is still great though and I get around 550 km's with 50/50 town and highway driving, which is great considering the performance.

The standard features on a GTI are also fantastic.

They're all very different cars though. GTI has the practicality that goes with 4 doors, and is a very comfortable car for almost every situation. GT86 is a great car and will be a very engaging and enjoyable drive, but won't be as comfortable as the GTI, and obviously less practical, although you say you don't need that at the moment.

You seem to be leaning towards the Toyota, and since you can still get away with a coupe as an every day car I say it seems like a good option for you. :)

Here is Chris Harris' take on the Toyota: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=romf-G6CZ7g
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

GreyWolf wrote:You best be trolling. There is hardly anything between them.
Look at the front end, the lights and grille on the Toyota look much nicer to me.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:You best be trolling. There is hardly anything between them.
Look at the front end, the lights and grille on the Toyota look much nicer to me.
:) I can see the difference man, but it not like you comparing an aston to a corolla.

Happy face vs anrgy face. Half a dozen of one, and six of the other.
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

GreyWolf wrote:
:) I can see the difference man, but it not like you comparing an aston to a corolla.
More like comparing an Aston/Porche to ever other Aston/Porche.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

is the 35ed golf limited edition worth it?
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Choosing a car is a bit more personal :P

Its something to get your from point A to B. Factor in your fuel consumption ect and how your style is and decide of yourself. I drive a Toyota Corolla 130.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

RiaX wrote:is the 35ed golf limited edition worth it?
I wrote a whole damn piece on it and you still ask. :lol:

In my opinion, not really, but I bought my car with the intention of modding it. If you'll be keeping it stock then it is slightly faster than the stock GTI but isn't as fuel efficient as the new EA888 engine. The ED35 also has the nice LED rear lights which I installed myself because I hated the stock GTI tails. It has a slightly different bumper to the GTI, and ED35 badging here and there, with different seats as well.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

What I like about the Toyota (I like the Subaru shape more actually), is that it is back wheel drive. Never really liked front wheel drive. I feel I have more control over oversteering than understeering and it is more fun.

As for the power coming at hi revs; what that means to me is that the car is a pretty normal driving car under normal conditions, but can do the business if you want it to. Personally, I'd race it everywhere for the first week or so, but once the novelty has worn off I'd just drive it normally most of the time. Sluggishness at low revs for this car translates to normal driving behaviour to me, with the option to push it if a gap opens up.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Are there differences between the Toyota and Subaru variants, regarding driven wheels?
I would assume the scooby to be AWD?

Also, just remember, the peak torque rpm is less relevant tan the torque curve as a whole. Even if the torque peaks high, if the curve is more or less flat, you're golden.
Then also, yes, what Kalster said. For mos of us, that car's sluggishness would be normal driving :lol:

If you want a toy, what about a 350/370Z or S2000? :P
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The Subaru is also BWD. Apparently they wanted to make a car that is fun to drive (including drifting around corners), not necessarily the fastest car around a track.

I love the S2000! Do they still make those new? Also a fan of the RX8, though they aren't made new any more. Don't like the 350/370Z that much. Not sure why.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

No, the S2000 has been discontinued, along with the Type-R.
Not sure about the S, but the CTR didn't make Euro5, being a N/A 2.0 and all.

I like the 370 more than the 350. But I'm not sure I'd buy either one, tbh. :?