Help deciding a new car

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
RiaX

Re: Help deciding a new car

Post by RiaX »

they dont make new Rx8 and S2000 and the 370z is over 500k now im not interested in a second hand car, the reason im buying a new car is to cut down a few costs because my e39 german spec 525i with ac schinitzer is slowly begining to fall apart and its going to prove very costly, also not too much of a fan of manual (lazy driver). How is the DSG boxes?

what standard features does a GTI and scirocco come with, you cant trust any brouchures these days with all their hidden agendas

has anyone here got a scirocco ?

toyota 86 vs scirocco R ?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Help deciding a new car

Post by ryanrich »

My GTI standard has heated seats, heated mirrors, auto dip rear view mirror, cruise control, multi function steering, hill hold assist, auto wipers, auto lights, climatronic, and bend lighting if you take optional xenons. The Rocco doesn't come with the bend lighting but has all the others. Xenons and sunroof are definite musts. The RNS 510 navigation and premium bluetooth is also awesome, but I got mine for a fraction of what VW charges, can hook you up if you end up getting one.

Interior of the GTI is nicer IMO.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

Ok I've eliminated the Golf so I'm still deciding with 86 vs Scirocco 2L DSG

Yeah I see what you mean about the GTI its a fantasic car... and thats the problem. Its simply too common for my liking. The only difference in the interior between the scirocco and the GTI is the red contrast stitching if im not mistaken. Though personally I think the scirocco looks better (exterior GTi wins interior), that been said considering my choices the 86 looks the best no debate there. The park distance control I think should be taken on the scirocco yes its a small car and frankly it shouldnt require that (actually any car shouldnt need that if u can drive), but the scirocco has poor visabilty in the back and quite a wide @s$ and overhang. Though the extras are so expensive almost R9 000 for xenon head lamps? whats the advantage of having xenon lamps over these new generation headlights that they claim are "just as good", another problem is if I get a colour thats not standard its an extra R1000 and the PDC is R4000 (maybe a 3rd party PDC would be better since the tech is common and really cheap now i dont knw why the dealerships still charge so much for outdated nonsense).

Ok anyways im aware that VW will give me a discount and to be honest this is my first time shopping for a car so i dont really know how to pull a discount or bagin with them, because I went to toyota and said "so whats the best price you can offer" and the dude simply replied "no discounts" lol fail.

Finally ryanrich hows the fuel comsumptions on those tsi engines? Only a fool will believe those factory claimed figures and the standard sound system is it any good ? and whats the most annoying thing about the car since you got it? it must have some silly flaw

sigh decisions

or

from this outside view it looks like a no brainer :shock:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Between those two the Scirocco by far gets my vote. The Toyota actually looks quite ugly to me in that pic. I dunno, it just looks plasticky, but I've always been a German car fan. Test drive both before you decide. The entire centre console is laid out differently on the Rocco, I prefer the GTI, and the Rocco has absolutely no space in the rear for anybody taller than 5'8". Xenons is a no brainer, trust me, I've driven a GTI with the standard lights and the difference is astonishing, there are no halogens that match HID's.

My car is tuned and running higher boost and timing than stock, full Milltek exhaust, intake, upgraded intercooler and hoses, high flow throttle body and turbo discharge pipes and makes 210kW / 417nm on the same dyno it made 177kW / 313nm when it was stock, so pushing quite a bit more power, and I get 550km - 600km on 53L of petrol, and I drive like a hooligan most of the time, haha. So consumption is pretty decent I'd say.

VW is pretty good with discount. I got my GTI with about R23k discount without even really asking. Mine came to R342k brand new in October last year, which included Xenons, Sunroof, Upgrade to Maintenance Plan.

The only negative is that if you're into modding these cars are money pits, lol. You seem like you'll keep it stock though, so no problem for you, hehe.

Rising Blue is the best colour for the Rocc IMO, and white for the Rocc R.

Here is a pic of my friends Rocc with JOM coilovers fitted.

CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Well since you alredy have the pictures all you need are some darts and a blindfold and the decision is made :dontknow:
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I don't like Sciroccos that much, but maybe because most I've seen were white. NOT my colour. That black one you have does look very good indeed though. It is less in your face with the styling than the 86, which I like. What I don't like about the Scirocco is that it is front wheel drive. I don't know how you feel about that. The Scirocco R is faster though.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

The Rocco looks like a squashed Golf - bleh!

But it will probably be a better everyday car than the 86

I also don't like the fact that Toyota are being biatches about a discount.

Still like the 86 personally, since you don't want an Audi or a GTi :P
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

jamin_za wrote:Still like the 86 personally, since you don't want an Audi or a GTi :P
Yup, seems to be leaning towards that 86, so would be a good decision.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

rocco R is tad over budget for me, well thanks for the help guys guess now all i have to do is wait for the toyota dealerships to get their models to test drive now

oh one last thing what exactly does residual and balloon payments mean?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Residual is a lump sum that you still owe on the car at the end of the term. It brings down your monthly installments, but depending on the residual percent you could end up owing something like R120k as a one off payment at the end of the payment period.

I personally don't like them and took my GTI over 54 months with no residual, but if you're planning on trading the car in at the end of the payment period then it may be the option for you.
ADT

Post by ADT »

KALSTER wrote:The Subaru is also BWD. Apparently they wanted to make a car that is fun to drive (including drifting around corners), not necessarily the fastest car around a track.

I love the S2000! Do they still make those new? Also a fan of the RX8, though they aren't made new any more. Don't like the 350/370Z that much. Not sure why.

love the RX8's rotary engine :)
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

also looking around now, to buy myself a sporty hatchback, i love the new GTI, but it's just a tad outta my price range, and damn overpriced imo

looked so far at the citroen DS3 racing, - bejeeezuz that things nogals move :shock: , and also test drove a alfa romeo gulietta - not bad, just a bit skeptical when it comes to alfa, still want to go check out the Focus ST and maybe opel OPC, any other suggestions?

sorry for jacking your thread dude :P
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

@ryanrich. I would say go for the Rocco over the GT86, but then again I am not a fan of Toyota(a synonym for boring imo). But besides that I think the rocco is better looking, better made, more comfortable.....
ADT wrote:also looking around now, to buy myself a sporty hatchback, i love the new GTI, but it's just a tad outta my price range, and damn overpriced imo

looked so far at the citroen DS3 racing, - bejeeezuz that things nogals move :shock: , and also test drove a alfa romeo gulietta - not bad, just a bit skeptical when it comes to alfa, still want to go check out the Focus ST and maybe opel OPC, any other suggestions?

sorry for jacking your thread dude :P
Citroen DS3 racing, very nice :wink: . I would go for the Alfa but that is just me so take the Citroen I say
Belix

Help deciding a new car

Post by Belix »

Think Toyota is over priced for what it is. Roc would get my vote.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

lol dont mind the thread jack ... hmmm i wouldnt buy french cause you going to end up with peanuts later :/ plus also everything is full import so if something goes wrong with the french car under motor plan it could be sitting at the dealership a very long time. Give a price range man easier to work with when giving advice. Brand new second hand what ?
ADT

Post by ADT »

new, max 350k
Spoiler (show)
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

the toyota is launching under 300k if you interested (base model though same engine diff mags, tyres and brakes) ... what about a polo GTI?
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

does anyone know if the satnav in the optional extras for most cars if it works decently here in SA ?
ADT

Post by ADT »

So it looks like I'm rather going to buy a 4x4 bakkie, way more convenient for me
Spoiler (show)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

D4D ftw!
ADT

Post by ADT »

SykomantiS wrote:D4D ftw!
Don't get me wrong hilux is excellent bakkies, ( the newish ones are just a bit too plastic for me) , but every second bakkie around here is a hilux, rather going for the new ford ranger or vw amarok, but pulling more to the rangers side :)
Spoiler (show)
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

You can't blame everyone else for having the same, good, taste ;)
But the new Rangers are awesome too.
ADT

Post by ADT »

SykomantiS wrote:You can't blame everyone else for having the same, good, taste ;)
But the new Rangers are awesome too.
ADT like's to be different :P

and BTW the reviews on the ranger is quite impressive, still have to go test drive one, when i get the chance
Spoiler (show)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I'd get a Ranger myself. They look the business.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

ADT wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:D4D ftl!
Don't get me wrong hilux is crap bakkies, ( the newish ones are just extremely plastic for me) , but every second bakkie around here is a hilux, rather going for the new ford ranger or vw amarok, but pulling more to the rangers side :)
Fixed!

The hilux has become a piece of tupperware stuck on a ladder chassis since the D4D launched.

Amarok looks better, but more or less the same as the Hilux.

The best bakkie in SA by far is the Ranger. Better ride, better looks, better engine, better interior....
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers