IT in Motorsport.

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

IT in Motorsport.

Post by Anakha56 »

http://arstechnica.com/business/coolest ... mpaign=rss
Coolest jobs in tech: from the pits of Le Mans to the dugouts of Fenway Park
By Jon Brodkin | Published about 14 hours ago

When race cars whiz around a track at 200 miles per hour, driving ability isn’t the only factor that determines who wins the race. Behind the scenes, in mobile data centers tucked into semis and behind laptops in the pit area, people like Chuck Houghton use tech to make decisions that can determine whether their car crosses the finish line first.

As race engineer for the No. 4 Corvette C6.R of the American Le Mans Series GT class, Houghton and his squad build sophisticated algorithms to crunch the reams of data spit out by modern race cars. When it’s race time, Houghton is on scene, running calculations that determine when to make changes to car variables like "ride height" or when to let drivers know that they're running a few seconds behind. “It’s kind of like hanging a carrot out there in front of a horse,” Houghton says.

In some cases, it’s as simple as making sure the car doesn't run out of gas. At the Petit Le Mans in Georgia 2010, a 10-hour race, the endgame came down to putting just the right amount of fuel into the car.

“[Both top cars had] stopped at the same time for our last stop," Houghton recalls. "We put just a tiny bit more fuel in our car, so they beat us out of the pit. And on the last lap, the Ferrari ended up running out of fuel. We were in second, and passed them on the track, and won.”

Follow the link for further reading. I wish I could get a job in Motorsport, would be a dream come true...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: IT in Motorsport.

Post by Anakha56 »

Just finished reading and it is about in sport in general not just motor sport...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Anakha56 wrote:...I wish I could get a job in Motorsport, would be a dream come true...
Me too.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Anakha56 wrote:...I wish I could get a job in Motorsport, would be a dream come true...
Yes. but more specifically a job in the McLaren F1 team :D that would be sheer brilliance
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

THE_STIG wrote:
Yes. but more specifically a job in the Ferrari F1 team :D that would be sheer brilliance
fixed it for you... ;)
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Lets not go there.....