Car Audio advice

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Car Audio advice

Post by Prime »

Hi guys,

Does any one have some recommended reading on car audio? I am thinking of upgrading my car audio.

The W123 and W124 have a head unit which sends 2 channels into a front/rear balance switch

Code: Select all

[Head]------[balance switch]-----[front]
                            -----[rear]
I want to upgrade the head unit which is a becker tape deck or put in an auxiliary input; and a sub and I'd prefer to keep the balance switch.

I was considering doing the following

Code: Select all

[Head]------[balance switch]-----[Amp]-----[front]
     |                     |-----[Amp]-----[rear]
     |------[Amp]-----[Sub]
Any input would be appreicated :D
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: Car Audio advice

Post by THE_STIG »

I have a W202 which I suspect has a similar audio system to the w124. I recently swapped my Becker tape deck unit for a CD one.

the CD one is made by Alpine as far as I can tell

Also the late w202's had two small subs behind the rear headrests and I think the late W124's also had this, so it should not be too difficult to install one. There are some of these audio 10CD head units for sale on e-Bay or you can have a look at scrap yards(but be sure that the code card is with it)

As for adding an aux, why not get one of those FM modulators but a decent one such as the i-Trip. I know it is for I-pods but you do get one with a standard 3.5mm jack :wink:
Prime

Post by Prime »

I can ask my local non-franchised dealer to look for one for me but I am keen on a sony head unit. http://www.sony.co.za/product/dsx-s100

That has aux in and an Ipod/USB cable. :D

Even the W123 has speakers behind the rear headrests :)

I just need to see if the speakers are good or need replacing... :?
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Prime wrote:I can ask my local non-franchised dealer to look for one for me but I am keen on a sony head unit. http://www.sony.co.za/product/dsx-s100

That has aux in and an Ipod/USB cable. :D

Even the W123 has speakers behind the rear headrests :)

I just need to see if the speakers are good or need replacing... :?
so you have a W123, I really love those. and will most definitely buy one at some point.

But are the speakers behind the headrests subs? In my W202 there are 8 speakers, 2 on the dash, one in each door and then the two small subs behind the headrests. There are some articles on how to add an aux to the becker units used in the w124(benzworld I think), but as I said have a look at the i-trip fm modulator. I know you can get those cheap modulators but really dont, I had one and the sound quality was rubbish.

also what sort of connectors does your head unit use? Do they look like this?

//this site seems to sell a whole range of original merc radios http://www.audio-10.com/

Edit: Here is one article for installing an aux. For the Audio 10 radio but it might be of some use to you http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-sl ... 10-cd.html
Prime

Post by Prime »

I was driving a W123 which I love to bits but unfortunately it needs major rework done on the head. And I can't afford the fuel bill for the 2.8L motor :cry: :cry:

So I am selling her and putting the return and the cost of repairs to a W124 instead. I'll get another 123 one day or a 115 :) But I need an everyday car at the moment.

I'll look and see what audio she has when I get her but I assumed it was basic quadrophonics.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yes a w124, I love those too. Not sure what it is about the old mercs but I love them. If I could I would own a W123, W124,W140, W100(ie the 600),R107, R129, W201......

Why did you not consider a W202, they are lighter on petrol than the W124's and a bit more modern.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I actually looked at a W201 but the previous owner had blown the engine head gasket at some point?! (Mercs don't blow engine head gaskets at 100 000 km under normal circumstances :eyebrow: ) and it had been repaired by someone unknown in Petermaritzburg.

The guy who runs the garage recommended this particular W124 as the car has a spotless service history and he had serviced it for the later half of it's life. It has only had one owner which also helps. There is also the benefit that we own another W124 already - a somewhat special 300TE :wink:

We used to have a 230SE "Fintail". I Can still remember the smell of those leather seats inside :mrgreen:
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Meh, some people. What did he do to make the head gasket go so early :x

W124's are very solid cars, but well cared for examples are getting harder and harder to find it seems :( . But it is good to see that there is somebody else who thinks the way I do about old mercs. You get so much car for very little money. I am guessing that you will be going for either a 200E or a 230E, and the "TE" is a station wagon if I am not mistaken you dont see many of them :(

A fintal, saw one the other day. Such pretty cars they are :D

I too love my W202(1999 C180), it has 282 000kms on the clock but it still feels new. There are no squeaks, rattles, leaks...and I average 7.4L/100Km. I also find it very easy to work on since everything is easily accessible, mostly because mine has the smallest engine that was available a 1.8 DOHC 4 and it was designed to accommodate the 2.8L DOHC straight 6