Getting a car up from Cape Town to Pietermaritzburg

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
DarkStar

Getting a car up from Cape Town to Pietermaritzburg

Post by DarkStar »

Hi.

FIrst off, I'm sorry if I'm breaking the rules by putting up the post - but I'm stuck and I don't know where to turn.

Basically, I have a friend who desperately wants this (http://capetown-westerncape.gumtree.co. ... Z345501918) Mini.

The problem: The engine is shot, and we're based in PMB (Natal) - the car has to either be towed or freighted up here.
Now, my dad is down in Mossel Bay - so we have a contact in that area, but the problem is trying to get this Mini up to 'Maritzburg. My friend has a spare engine and will fit it to the body.

The reason I'm responsible for trying to sort this out is because he already has a mini in 100% condition, and will do a straight swap with me for this pick-up Mini if I'm able to get it for him.

A few people have suggested using a train or a truck, but I don't know who to contact. Alternatively, the Mini can be towed up but I don't know anyone willing to tow it up here from Cape Town.

Can anyone help me out, please?
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Getting a car up from Cape Town to Pietermaritzburg

Post by Ron2K »

If you want to put it on a train, the Shosholoza Meyl website will probably be your first stop. You will likely have to travel on the train with the vehicle though. This may be the most cost-effective option.

Alternatively, you could arranged to have it trucked up. These guys were the first hit on my Google search, but do a bit of shopping around if that's your plan.

Probably won't find someone to tow it though.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

IF it will fit on the back of a Kia and IF you'll pay my diesel from JHB-MBay-PMB-JHB I could probably lug it down for you. Oh - and add a case of beer to the price. Sommer Castle.

Think it'll be cheaper to go with UberAdmin's Google thingy though! ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Well, I got a quote from that trucking company.

Just short of R6000.

So...yeah. What Kia do you have, doo_much? I don't know how much space you actually have on the back there :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

So, from joke to roadtrip? I'm in. BUT.

Round trip from here will be ~3500km. At ~8.5 km/l it is still a steep amount of money - you do the sum. And don't forget to add the beer. ;)

Kia's loadbin is about 1.6m by 2.8m - Will the Mini fit?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

If I work that out correctly....Almost R5 000 in fuel alone

Okay, road trip cancelled - sorry. I think my mate is willing to go down himself to fetch it - I was just hoping for an economical way to bring it up here.

Thanks for the offer, though :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Pleasure. There used to be a place in Mosselbay that did a' each us much as you can' sushi special on Mondays.

I'd have loved to go by there again...
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey