French vs German cars

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
PaperCut

French vs German cars

Post by PaperCut »

Sup guys!

I'm in the process of looking for my first car. I was really really really loving the new Renault Megane 1.6 Coupe. But I hear it's a rubbish car. It has all the bells & whistles, but still... hearing it's a waste of money kinda overshadows that. And also, apparently this is common with French cars. (Citroen, Renault, Peugeot)
It costs about R240K. And I really wasn't impressed much by any other car. Most of the features on the Megane come as optional extras on other cars. Things like built-in SatNav, Bluetooth connectivity, 6 airbags, auto lights & wipers... etc. The list is pretty much endless.

Should I rather look at German-made cars? VWs and such?

What do you guys think? I'm kinda discouraged by all the negative comments about the car, but if they are common then I guess I'm gonna have to look elsewhere.
/. Image /. Image /. Image /. Image /.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: French vs German cars

Post by hamin_aus »

Your first car is going to be 240K :?:
capanno

Post by capanno »

+1
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

jamin_za wrote:Your first car is going to be 240K :?:
Yeah. Been driving for yeeeaaaars tho!

Problem?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

The price tag should tell you what the issue is with French cars. 240k and it includes all those extras. There is a reason why the others are 240k without the extras. Those things are generally skimped on in manufacturing to the point where they actually have to start slapping on the extras for free because they compromise on quality.

Nuf said.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

It depends on how long you will keep the car for and what you think about the interior and build quality. Personally, the last few French cars I have driven in have struck me as having cheap materials and shoddy build quality, but if you are fine with the build quality and feel of the car and you won't have it for more than 5 years (the warranty period), then I say go for a French car if you like. I'd personally choose Japanese, specifically Honda, but I don't have R240k to spend on a car. :)
Last edited by KALSTER on 11 Oct 2011, 12:01, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

KALSTER wrote:I'd personally choose Japanese, specifically Honda
This.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

Nice.

So personal preference beats hearsay? Nice.

Personally, I absolutely love the car. But having that voice at the back of my head saying "maybe I should have listened", isn't so comforting!

I actually haven't considered any other car. Let alone a Honda. *opens new tab*

Thanks guys!

Keep the comments coming!
Mr_Norris

Post by Mr_Norris »

I'd say decide on a few you'd like, test drive them, then take it from there.

I wouldn't base your decision entirely on what others opinions are, especially the ones who say french = rubbish. If they were really so bad, people wouldn't be buying them, and they wouldn't have a presence in SA.

Drive an Uno for a year+, then get in a french car, and that won't be your opinion.

However, I'd most likely go with a Honda for my next car. They're pretty much rated the best in terms of quality, things breaking, service, reliability, etc (JD Power ratings).

I have a Daihatsu at the moment. No issues with it besides it not being looked after by its first owners :/

If I had a lot of expendable cash, it would be german for me. Always wanted a C Class Merc.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

I've test driven this car (loved every minute of it) and the new Ford Focus (which looks pretty cheap IMO) so far.

Can't go for BMW 1 Series as they new Ones (see what I did there?) are extremely pricey!

:'(
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

What about polo's or golfs (can't believe I just said that...)- German + better than anything French. There's also Toyota (Auris) and I guess there'd be a Nissan equivalent.

Also, petrol or diesel?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Partial to the Honda CR-Z myself. The Hybrid. How geeky is that?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I can't believe what I am going to say next:

Have you looked at the Korean offerings? The Kia Cerato Koup is one good looking car. And it is in your price range.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

Petrol.

Not a fan of Toyotas. Too basic. I like gadgets and fancy whatnots that a car has. I think Toyotas are basic point A to B cars. Not necessarily what I'm looking for.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

brb, off to test drive a Civic Hatch.

I'll let you know how that goes.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I think I know how that will go :lol:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

GreyWolf wrote:I can't believe what I am going to say next:

Have you looked at the Korean offerings? The Kia Cerato Koup is one good looking car. And it is in your price range.
+1

Kia and Hyundai are making some great cars nowadays. I had an i20 when my Audi was in the shop and it was an excellent little car.

Civic Hatch is also worth a look.

Golf 6 gets my vote, just bought one myself and it's fantastic.

Wouldn't touch a French car if it was free, although the new Megane is very good looking, especially the sport model.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

The Honda just made me think differently about the Megane. It's fantastic! Or maybe it's because of the brand new-ness of he one I was driving. But I'm definitely considering it now.

Sad part is that the one I was driving is sitting at R280K (1.8 i-VTEC VXi 6-speed). Waaaay over my price range. Apparently the entry level Civic (R220K) is being phased out. So I think I might have to look at getting a second hand Civic and buy the service plan and everything else extra!

What do you guys think about that? Should I rather go for a second hand Civic and add a service plan to it????

The Kia Cerato hatch is one beauty of a car. Yet to test drive it though.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

PC, that civic, is it the hatch? If so, then they're smoking something. The top of the range model is not the 1.8, it's the 2.2 i-CDTi (diesel). Also, if they really want to sell you the car then they'll find a way to bring the price to within your reach. I'm busy negotiating for a 2.2, brand new one. But I'm thinking I'll fall short of the monthly payment by a mere few hundred rands- which is why I'm looking into a 2nd-hand one. :(
It's not just the brand-new-ness of the one you drove, it's the brand- Honda's are awesome. 8)

ps: I told you so :P
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

LOL. Ya, it was the hatch. The triangular one. LOL!

I have no idea what the model is, the guy said it's a 1.8. Which doesn't really tell me much, considering they seem to start at 1.8.

Anyway, thinking of getting a second hand Honda Civic now. Turns out the one guy who has one here at the office, is selling his for R120K, 2007 model with 115K kms. Good deal? Or should I look elsewhere?

Was looking at some newer/fresher models on http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I'd say 100k - 110k would be better. I did a quick check on autotrader, and the sedans with that mileage and year model go for anything between 100k - 110k, though there are those up to and beyond the 120k point. So I'd say it's pretty much a standard and fair price. It does seem as if the hatches (5 door) are a bit more expensive though- so then it would be a good price I guess. Though I think buying from a trader instead of private is the better option, in the unlikely event that something does go wrong with the vehicle. Also just check for accident-free and preferably a full service history.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Also look at CarFind
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

AA Autobay is good as well.
PaperCut

Post by PaperCut »

It's a hatch.

Full service history - yes.
Accident-free - I hope so. I've been working with him for over 2 years now and hasn't had an accident. Not as far as I know anyway.

As for private selling vs dealership, I think you might be right for the same reasons. I think the main thing to consider here is the price vs the condition of the car. Which is still pretty okay, haven't seen the interior though.

Maybe I should start visiting some second hand dealerships around here.

Things are looking up...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Whereabouts is "here" :?: