Remapping and other performance tweaks

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Re: Remapping and other performance tweaks

Post by ryanrich »

Thanks man, he's doing alright now, but still in lotsa pain. Broken collar bone, 6 broken ribs and a punctured lung, and lotsa bruises and roasties. Thankfully he doesn't ride without his full gear on, like I see many people here in Cape Town doing.

Services out of motorplan on my A4 were between R2K and R3K at the agents, and obviously more if something like brakes or other components need to be replaced, but I did mine at Speedy, which is no different to any other cars costs. If something big breaks like your turbo blows or cambelt snaps the costs could be very high, but in such a case I wouldn't use the agents anyway. There's always gonna be more cost on a turbo car should things go very wrong. In 6 years of owning turbo cars I've luckily never experienced any issues though.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:My previous car was a 2003 Audi A4 1.9 TDI (6 speed) that I bought in 2006 on 70,000km and owned for 4 and a half years. Never had a single issue with that car until the day I sold it on 185,000km, still had original clutch and turbo, only normal services ever. That car used to go around 1300KM to a tank on the open road. I remember driving to Durban from Pretoria and I still had over half a tank left when I got there, average consumption going down was 4.7L per 100KM. :lol:
yup yup, that 19TDi engine is the winnah!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Cool man.

Now, a little bit more on topic, do you know what that stage 1 software upgrade entails? (or any of the stages, for that matter)- what exactly is it that they do in the upgrade?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Stage 1 is just a software remap. Basically what the cars computer is made up of is the ECU and then the MAP. Throughout the rev range the ECU requests data from the MAP regarding timing, fueling, boost etc, so a software remap replaces the stock settings with whichever type of map you want, one made specifically for more performance or for better economy etc.

Most stage 1 maps are generic maps as they are designed for a stock engine, so for example the same map would be loaded on my A3 2.0 TDI as my friends A3 2.0 TDI since our engines are the same. (If they are indeed the same, because there are different version of the 2.0 TDI)

Now, Stage 2 would be a more custom map that would be created for a car after other performance enhancing mods are added, such as a performance exhaust system, downpipe, front mount intercooler, water/methanol injection, air intake etc, as a custom map would better compliment these mods.

Stage 3 would be when you get into mods such as bigger turbo upgrades and need an even more custom map.
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

So after reading some of the stuff here (not all of it) I thought it might be a good idea to update you guys on my car.

I have a 9n3 Polo 1.9TDI (5 door, 5 speed, 74kw/210nm (61kw/ 200nm at the wheels)). Nice car, nice power, very economical. I never did a stage 1 map. First things I did were better intake (PD 160 (VW OEM), Extra 80mm RAM tubing), De-Cat exhaust, SEAT Sport Front Mounted intercooler, aftermarket performance filter (K&N). This pushed the car up to 84kw and 240NM at the wheels.

Decided MOAR is needed, so went stage 2 software. Car measured 84kw/240nm before the remap, and measured 104kw/358nm after the map. Was really impressed with the car. This lasted around 30 000 km's and that's when the turbo decided to bail on 2 September '11. 110 000km's on a defective turbo wasn't to bad.

I opted for a bigger, stronger turbo. And will be doing Stage 3 software Saturday morning. Software company is Dimsport and they say I should have 125kw/450nm at the wheels after software.

Now a lot of you might think that's pushing the motor. Well, it isn't really. SEAT brought out a 1.9TDI with 118kw/380nm. Only difference between that and my car is head, injectors, turbo and software. The block is the same (albeit for a lower compression rate). The turbo I put in is the same turbo that is on the SEAT 1.9TDI. So the only difference now is Head and Injectors (come software day). My limitation at this moment is just injectors. Problem is, VW charges R12 000 for one injector, and there's 4 of them. So that will wait a while.

Next to follow on my car is 6 speed gearbox and sports clutch and flywheel. Also keen on adding a LSD and ESP but both of them require AMPLE amounts of work, time and cash. So that will wait for a bit.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Awesome dude, 125wkW and 450nm in a Polo is gonna friggin rocket! Will be interesting to see how Trevor does with the map. I know he has good maps for the Polo's but I've heard very bad stories about him and his tuning from the Audi guys who tried him and had to have their cars fixed at STO and FRC after the stuff ups.

I would leave the LSD and ESP and put bigger brakes... :lol:

Will be leaving my GTI stock for a while, but with CAI, DP and Stage 2 software they make over 200kW and 400nm, so time will tell how long I can wait, haha. Not really into racing and such anymore though so gonna try and enjoy the stock ride for a while. Emphasis on "try".
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Went to get a stock reading before any mods go on.

177kW / 313nm converted to flywheel power. (Was 150kW at the wheels).

Very strong for stock since VW again underquotes and says 155kW at the fly. Tonight FRC intake and some Phase 2 software goes on, should add around 30-35kW.

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

ryanrich wrote:... gonna try and enjoy the stock ride for a while. Emphasis on "try".
ryanrich wrote:Tonight FRC intake and some Phase 2 software goes on, should add around 30-35kW.
:lol:

Define "for a while" :P
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

2 weeks? :lol:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Close enough :P

/OT: I bought a 2008 Civic 2.2 Diesel this past Friday. Will post pics up when I get round to it one day.
Loving it so far, but still trying to figure out where its hiding that < 6L/100km economy everyone keeps talking about :? Methinks I'm still too set in the petrol ways...
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Quick question to those in the know: What's the going rate on a Stage1 software remap? Celtic Tuning quoted me R4500 :?
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Will check for your car when I get to the office... Anything between R3500 and R5000 depending on model and tuner.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

So it's not so far-fetched?

Thanks Ryan :)
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Nah sounds about right. The cost is determined by lots of factors, like age of car, how popular it is to tune etc. Like tuning a Mk5 GTI is one of the cheaper maps nowadays because it's been around for a few years. My Mk6 GTI was R4000 (I paid R3600 though), but I see STO has it on special now for R3500.

It sounds a lot, but for a 20 - 25% increase in power it's not too shabby hey. My GTI went from 150kW on the wheels to 170kW with only software and intake. Once I install my new downpipe and phase 2 map next week it will be 190kW on the wheels, which is about 205kW at the flywheel. :)

If it's the 2.2 i-CDTI engine then a stage 1 map will take it from 103kW / 340nm to about 125kW / 400nm, and with normal driving fuel economy should be better as well.

Give ATM Chiptuning a call and see if they can assist, as I know they do those Honda's. http://www.atm-chiptuning.co.za/
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Cool, thanks, will have a look, and yeah, it's the 2.2 i-CTDi.

Celtic claimed in their mail to me they take the car from 100kW/340Nm to 142kW/392Nm, which will put me just shy of a Type-R at 148kW, which sounds ludicrous, but oh-so much fun, to be totally honest :D
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Ryan, another question.
What can you tell me about EGR deletes :?:
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

I'm not sure on the Honda's, but on my previous Audi the EGR delete was a popular mod once out of motorplan. The EGR valves used to fail like crazy on the 2.0 TDI motor I had. It also gets clogged which causes loss of power and raises your intake temps by recirculating the exhaust gases.

If you're out of warranty (or don't care about warranty) then it's definitely a worthwhile mod.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I am, and I'm looking into it. Problem is, as far as I can tell, it's a purely software mod on the Honda to keep it permanently closed- and it's apparently complicated. I haven't found any hits on people in South Africa offering it, and Celtic Tuning has made no mention of it. :(

Admittedly I haven't asked them directly, but from what I've picked up on the UK forums, I've not come across anyone with a Celtic map and EGR delete. There is one company there that does offer it- and they can offer me the maps for me to flash myself- something I'd rather stay away from.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Mod note: thread now stuck.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Thanks Ron!

And on that note, went to Wolf Spirit MC's breakfast run/ day jol. They had a dyno there, and I got a free pass, so to speak, so up the GSX-R1000 went. Of note, I have a full race exhaust, WITHOUT a fuel remap to suit the new pipe. So this is far from optimal performance. Also, as with all things dyno related (especially these dyno-day types), it's just a very rough guideline and in the real world much of it can be ignored. Still, it was fun. :D

Image Image