Petrol

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
RiaX

Petrol

Post by RiaX »

Hi there i dont know if this is stupid to ask but if you like me then you probably never even considered this.

Everytime i need to put petrol in my car i just drive up to a garage and tell them to fill the tank without a second thought. Today though after driving to so many garages to fill cause of the price increase i wondered are all the petrols supplied at the pumps the same? i think it isnt

So the next thing is from all our garages shell BP engen sasol ect which of them offers the best petrol?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Petrol

Post by Tribble »

I think it depends on the car. Mine doesn't like Caltex too much but BP and Shell give me good mileage. Trek and Engen are not as bad as Caltex but I really get the best on the two worst environmental companies. I hate BP but had to fill up today as it was beeping at me. I am not a very good human. I give my car what she wants.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

:lol: well I haven't done an empirical study but there are general restrictions on petrol that has to be adhered to so I would guess the only things that could make a difference to the petrol is the additives that gets added which I'm not privy to so can't really compare them to one another. Oh and btw a lot of petrol that gets sold here as BP or Shell or what ever were actually made by Sasol they just ad their own additives as mentioned.

And that is saying a lot without actually saying much :tongue3:
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
garp

Post by garp »

Sasol Diesel for me. seem to run smoother with it... Engen also an option though.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Ok, so my educated guess would be that no-one really knows why they chose their respective fuel company, except for maybe habit?

Ok, so some say there is a performance increase. By how much? Can I have your dyno graphs where you compared your car with all the fuels on the dyno? If you say it feels like it, then that is not an answer.

Better mileage? Can I see some records where you filled up say 5 times with one fuel, drove the EXACT same distance and in the EXACT same manner to get a average and then do the rest of the fuels the same way?

You cannot say: "Oh Shell gives me more performance" or "Engen gives me more mileage." That is just your opinion.

I fill up where ever I see those signs that says "Petrol". Pull up to the pump, the attendant puts this nozzle in my bike and liquid propellant comes out. I pay and ride away for say 300km.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

IcePick is right, all petrol companies buy exactly the same crude oil, and the refining process used by the different companies is almost identical, if not so.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

I use BP out of convenience - garage is 200 m from my flat... :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Disrupter

Post by Disrupter »

I like the Shell Diesel, gives me almost 200km extra on a tank
Imageoempie.png[/img][/url]
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Tribble wrote:Mine doesn't like Caltex too much

Yeah all those tiny men inside my engine is NOT helping.

As for the topic. You should always try and fill up at the same place. The oil may come from the same place but the companies do add their own chemicals etc.
I also prefer to use Sasol seeing as they are local.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Disrupter wrote:I like the Shell Diesel, gives me almost 200km extra on a tank
Seriously?

200km extra on a tank by just adding Shell Diesel? :shock: I don't believe!
Disrupter

Post by Disrupter »

IcePick88 wrote:
Seriously?

Wish i could show you the prove. but I am deadly serious dude. Tried Sasol, Engen, Zenex and BP
Imageoempie.png[/img][/url]
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Do you work for Shell?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
garp

Post by garp »

Some garages will fill your tank to the very top, while others will stop filling at the auto stop. in my tank you can fill it with like an extra 25 liters of diesel to the top. (for those who don't know, you shouldn't fill it to the top... the space is there for air expansion when the car gets hot)
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

garp wrote:
Some garages will fill your tank to the very top, while others will stop filling at the auto stop. in my tank you can fill it with like an extra 25 liters of diesel to the top. (for those who don't know, you shouldn't fill it to the top... the space is there for air expansion when the car gets hot)
Precisely.

There are plenty more variables that will increase or decrease fuel oncsumption and by adding a certain fuel might give you 50km extra, 200km is just not true.

But are you telling me then, if I gooi shell diesel into my dads bakkie, he will get 200km extra from it?
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

i use the closest one to my current location at the time of needing to fill my tank.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I mostly use Shell but it's because the BP down the road is shocking and the Shell in Parkhurst has good oil prices and service.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
RiaX

Post by RiaX »

so then why are they allowed to advertise like that, total claims better mileage and caltex claims to clean your engine while you drive and shell claims better performance. How we the consumer are suppose to validate these claims and choose the right petrol for ourselves?
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

RiaX wrote:so then why are they allowed to advertise like that, total claims better mileage and caltex claims to clean your engine while you drive and shell claims better performance. How we the consumer are suppose to validate these claims and choose the right petrol for ourselves?
There are way too much variables that can influence fuel consumption, it's hardly worth calculating me thinks. Driving style, airon usage, traffic conditions ect ect. Not one drive to and from work is the same, so measuring accurate fuel consumption can only be done at a closed track where the conditions remain the same. That's probably how they tested it. Although certain fuels claim it might give better consumption, that certain brand definitely did not test their fuel with every car on the SA market.

Take two identical BRAND new cars, use the same fuel in it over say a period of a month with two different drivers and the fuel consumption WILL vary. Use the same driver in both cars and the fuel consumption WILL vary.

Fuel is fuel. Don't rely on a certain fuel for better fuel economy. Adjust your driving style, take a better route, check your tyres, don't use the aircon too much and don't brake unnecessarily. Those are the best ways of getter better fuel economy.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I'll always try for 95 octane, then only 93 if they don't have 95 and I won't make it to another garage- don't ask why, it's just habit.

Which leads me to ask the following:
What exactly does this mean? I know the higher the altitude, the lower the octane rating you need. Then again, higher octane ratings combat detonation... Right?
So, living in Pta, where does this leave me? Does 95 octane give better performance? How much?

Then I heard another interesting thing from a friend of mine, and I'm tempted to call :bs: based on my own limited knowledge. He claims his bike (with a full system and auto tuning module and lambda sensors, etc.) gives him better performance on 93 octane than 95. Surely this is wrong. Right? The way I have it, it should be the other way around. He's quite adamant though. Then again, I'm thinking he increase is probably negligible at best.

Anyone mind explaining these concepts? :)
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

93 inland and 95 at the coast.

We don't even get 93 here. Only 95 UL and LRP.

I heard from a friend that works in Secunda that all those funny Techron and little guys they gooi in your engen is just de-foaming agents and coloring. Nothing more as they are not allowed to add anything else as per government regulations.

So Engen, Shell, Caltex, Sasol.....they are all the SAME! Stop worrying about which fuel is "better" as there is nothing like that. Jungle juice is jungle juice.
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

If you have an Engen refinery in your are, then all the pumps use Engen, never mind what the pump says, in Durban you also have SAPREF, they also deliver anywhere, no matter the pump brand. In Cape Town we have Chevron (Caltex) so all our pumps spout Caltex.
The only difference is in Gauteng where Sasol deliver petrol and diesel, you can smell a Sasol product miles away.
When you have some time, park outside any refinery and take note of the tankers coming out the gate.

The additives are pure advertising bumf.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Disrupter wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:
Seriously?

Wish i could show you the prove. but I am deadly serious dude. Tried Sasol, Engen, Zenex and BP
Do you keep a logbook? No offence but this sounds like a serious miscalculation on your part. If not, I'm sure Shell'd love to hear from you.
They could probably placate all the Karoo farmers by telling them of this benefit of their product!
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page