Gauteng (GFIP) Trolls

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
doo_much

Re: Gauteng (GFIP) Trolls

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote: Oh and why not get a clear gel pack to go over the license disk? Insert a oil like substance into it so that when the light hits you get weird light reflection just make sure wherever you stop in public to remove said pack so you don't get caught...
Not even that. I'm wondering how they've overcome the issue of sunlight reflecting from windscreens etc?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I will not buy a tag.

I pass 2 gantries every day. 1 on the way to work, and 1 on the return trip. I can avoid both with not much change to my time spent driving.

So this morning, I passed the 1 gantry, and from now on will be using the alternative routes.

I eagerly await the bill for R3.40.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

GreyWolf wrote:I will not buy a tag.

I pass 2 gantries every day. 1 on the way to work, and 1 on the return trip. I can avoid both with not much change to my time spent driving.

So this morning, I passed the 1 gantry, and from now on will be using the alternative routes.

Like a Sir....
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Thats all fine and well for someone who know's the area but for someone like me? I don't know JHB and I am pretty sure Google Maps has not been updated yet to read the area as tolled so if I put in my destination it will still use that route.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:I am pretty sure Google Maps has not been updated yet to read the area as tolled so if I put in my destination it will still use that route.
Apple Maps has bailed me out four times in the last three months finding places that Google Maps either didn't know or had misplaced by several blocks. Just saying.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote:

Thats all fine and well for someone who know's the area but for someone like me? I don't know JHB and I am pretty sure Google Maps has not been updated yet to read the area as tolled so if I put in my destination it will still use that route.
Why not just do the drive and get us a first-hand experience on how an out of province visitor will be treated (administratively I mean).
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: @doo Tell you what, I will do that but if I get fined I will collect the fine from you. Deal? :P

@Stu yeah I hear what you are saying.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:

Why not just do the drive and get us a first-hand experience on how an out of province visitor will be treated (administratively I mean).
In order to offer valuable feedback as a service to the community, of course.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:@Stu yeah I hear what you are saying.
All four in the north, to be fair, where I'm convinced even residents aren't that familiar with their surroundings.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote::lol: @doo Tell you what, I will do that but if I get fined I will collect the fine from you. Deal? :P
See, this is precisely what gets my goose.

They've been creating misconception in order to get people to buy tags and register - out of fear.

They can not fine you for not pre-registering or not getting an e-tag. They can however send you a bill for using the toll road. Which you then have to pay promptly if and when you receive it. So they'll probably end up having to send them via registered mail. Even GW's R3.40 one. (I love what you're doing by the way)

The administrative burden will be tremendous.

But no matter what they choose to call it, it is a bill. Which you are legally obliged to pay. IF and when you receive it. ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Doo is correct- you cannot be fined for not registering (or getting that day pass). They can only send you the bill.
There is another part, which I've come across on the MyBB forums, which says that you have to register to pay, and registration means you agree to the e-toll t&c.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

doo_much wrote: But no matter what they choose to call it, it is a bill. Which you are legally obliged to pay. IF and when you receive it. ;)
I have a question. For some reason I have the idea in my head, that according to SA laws, if you do not receive a bill withing 7 days, you are not obliged to pay it. Is this true, or am I living in la-la land?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Well I am still playing the waiting game. I have not registered yet and am waiting to see what happens in the next couple of days. Who' knows I may find a way around the toll areas just depends if I want to get stuck in traffic... <_<
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

To be quite frank, I'm not sure but I don't think that is correct.

*edit
In answer to GW
Last edited by doo_much on 03 Dec 2013, 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
doo_much wrote: But no matter what they choose to call it, it is a bill. Which you are legally obliged to pay. IF and when you receive it. ;)
I have a question. For some reason I have the idea in my head, that according to SA laws, if you do not receive a bill withing 7 days, you are not obliged to pay it. Is this true, or am I living in la-la land?
I'm not sure that that's true. I know that, within the etoll system, you have seven days to pay to qualify for the discount. So if you pay as a non-etag user within seven days, it'll cost like R3.40 or something, but if you don't pay within the seven-day period, you'll end up paying more.

Here is an article explaining it all.

Edit: Though enforcing this this is something of a joke, of course.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It wouldn't surprise me terribly if mid-January brings with it the announcement that they are canning the procedure for the meantime for further investigation. Collect as much as you can over Christmas, and then go back to the waiting game.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Nope. Government has taken a stand and they can't back down now and lose face. We're stuffed.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:Nope. Government has taken a stand and they can't back down now and lose face. We're stuffed.
Does the government have much face to lose?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

They would like to think so.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Right. So on the boards on the highway it clearly shows R3.40 at the gantry I pass. But checking on the sanral site it says R5.51. who do I believe?
- H. L. Mancken
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Rates fluctuate depending on the time of day? Maybe.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:Right. So on the boards on the highway it clearly shows R3.40 at the gantry I pass. But checking on the sanral site it says R5.51. who do I believe?
I think the rate on the boards is for etag users who pay within seven days.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

GreyWolf wrote:who do I believe?
:oops: Oops sorry, just realised that was a trick question.
Both your sources are SANRAL so the right answer to the question is - NEITHER.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

A question asked on another forum:
The new consumer protection act states: The Price You See is the The Price You Pay... and all exceptions to this must be stated clearly. Now the signs next to the road that shows the cost of the gates carries the "Registered Price" but there is now clear indication of the "Other 2 Charges" that they want to levy. So what would the odds be if they do send you the bill and you take it up with the Consumer protection board (or what ever) that, that is not the price they displayed?
Thoughts? And who wants to help me plan my way around JHB to avoid the toll mess? :P
Bluez

Post by Bluez »

Just finished having lunch with our company's "high and mighty" (and I work for a BIG car company) and all the directors are discussing what the e-tags look like since no-one has bought one... so far in our company that is about 30 people standing up against extortion :)
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Intel I5, WD 1T, Kingmax4GB, ATI Radeon Toxic 5850, 23" Samsung