Gauteng (GFIP) Trolls

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Gauteng (GFIP) Trolls

Post by Anakha56 »

Anakha56 wrote:Trying to register for a day pass and the website just hangs... *sigh* I really, really, really dont want to phone these people...

So tried the phone call operation and ... on their side the system failed. I really, really think they are just trolling me now... <_< :evil:
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:Trying to register for a day pass and the website just hangs... *sigh* I really, really, really dont want to phone these people...

So tried the phone call operation and ... on their side the system failed. I really, really think they are just trolling me now... <_< :evil:
The Universse is telling you to listen to the old guy and just drive and wait for the bill aka invoice. ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Yes - why go though all this for a few rands?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

In udder news.

Spoke to someone today who, 'heard from someone at Sanral', that they indeed do have the capabilliy to scan license disks from the gantries.

Hmmm - anyone think this'll work?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Nope.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Anakha56 wrote:So tried the phone call operation and ... on their side the system failed. I really, really think they are just trolling me now... <_< :evil:
There, I fixed that for you.
doo_much wrote:The Universse is telling you to listen to the old guy and just drive and wait for the bill aka invoice. ;)
Listen to doo, Ank. He even used two "s." ("Esses?" "S-s?")
doo_much wrote:the capabilliy to scan license disks from the gantries. Hmmm - anyone think this'll work?
A friend of mine used to do camera work at a medicine factory production line. They had to do an image scan of each and every tablet as a quality control step. Yes, I think that they can scan licence disks.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

GDI_Lord wrote:
doo_much wrote:the capabilliy to scan license disks from the gantries. Hmmm - anyone think this'll work?
A friend of mine used to do camera work at a medicine factory production line. They had to do an image scan of each and every tablet as a quality control step. Yes, I think that they can scan licence disks.

My spelling might be up to maggot but I've strung up a few cameras in my time. And this won't be easy. Reflecting sunlight, dirty windscreens, distortion due to angle of windscreens (think of how upright truck windscreen are) etc etc.
I'm not saying it isn't possible - I've a friend who reckons a friend's, little sister's, uncle met a guy in a bar who's heard from someone that a fellow working at Sanral said they could even read the VIN number sandblasted onto some windscreens. Or some such other.

Your friend from Glaxo in Midrand? I know they have such a setup. And doing it is easy. Expensive, but easy. Focal point always the same, controlled, stable lighting and your target is moving at a known speed.

Easy.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:

Strange. My interactions with calling has been fairly good so far. The most painful part is wading through the voice prompts, but once you finally hit the button to talk to a consultant they answer almost immediately.

Their website, on the other hand, has been a bit of a mixed bag.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

You've done the e-tag thing? :eyebrow:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:You've done the e-tag thing? :eyebrow:
I have
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

What payment method are you using? And do they at all give you the facility to get an itemised statement?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:What payment method are you using? And do they at all give you the facility to get an itemised statement?
I chose prepaid, but to be honest, I haven't actually logged back into my account to see what options there are. I haven't been on the etoll roads much in the last couple of weeks. I think I've only been through one gantry, and my etag helpfully beeped. When I start running low I'll look into options.

I also took one of the untagged church vehicles through a gantry to see what happens.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:

Strange. My interactions with calling has been fairly good so far. The most painful part is wading through the voice prompts, but once you finally hit the button to talk to a consultant they answer almost immediately.

Their website, on the other hand, has been a bit of a mixed bag.
So the next day on the drive to JHB I tried again and ... their CC voice interaction said "Failed to process your transaction, please try again..." so I phoned them back and they told me that I had paid already :?. Still have not received a email with the invoice so this should be fun...

@Stu can you do a little test for me please? Can you press the "I forgot my pin" button and see if they email you back your pin or ask you to reset via a link? That is if you have a online account. The reason why I am asking is that during setup they emailed me my account details in plain text, now they could have grabbed the data from memory before it gets encrypted (if they have encryption) but I want to see if you get your pin when you click that link. If you do there is a good chance they are storing the username & pin in plain text and who know's if the same is done to your CC information...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

From what I've seen of their site, I shudder at the possibility...

For instance... When trying to see what you owe, you go and click this link and it asks you to register. Simply click it again and search for your (or anyone else's) number plate. :|
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Today is the 7th day since I passed the gantry. No bill.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

OK got my first bill about two weeks ago. Just a a statement, no itemised bill or anything like that.
My dad, who's the most patient one in the family (OK the only one) did the dirty and after queuing for about 30 minutes managed to pay the bill.

Subsequently received 3 (yes, three) more bills - for the same trip. Interestingly enough the last two have a nice itemised transaction list and 3 photos (front, rear and one from a distance) of one of these transactions.

Even more interesting is that the two trips that I'd undertaken after that one, weren't on the system...
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Were they in the same 7 day period? From what I understand they send you 'invoices' for 7 days at a time.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

No - I mean whilst he was paying my dad asked if there were any other outstanding dues and there wasn't anything on the system.

In theory, you should be able to do a trip and then pay at a booth without having received a bill, so that you may take advantage of the 7 day discount.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Oh, ok. Well if it's not on their system, then no worries?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

In theory - no.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

I've gotten 2 invoices from them but as we are prepaid tag payers it just shows how much of that money you have used and how much is left...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

http://citizen.co.za/114501/tolls-taxn/
“It (non-payment) will obviously hurt Sanral, if money due to the company is not received. If we don’t receive the money, we may have to approach the taxpayers to bail us out. And I don’t think they will be very impressed,” Sanral spokesperson Vusi Mona said.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

:lol: You lot will appreciate this... I received a letter from Sanral saying I owe them money despite me buying two day passes for my short trip into JHB and I have two reference numbers saying that I paid. :/ Tried phoning the call center but my call was dropped each time, will try again this afternoon... *sigh*
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

And that is why I have no sympathy with anyone using the system (even if only with day passes) and avoid it completely myself :P
Good luck- you will need it.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

We begged, we pleaded. To no avail. ;)

I wouldn't even keep on trying to phone, seeing that you have POP? Just see what else you get in the post.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey