Gauteng (GFIP) Trolls

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Re: Gauteng (GFIP) Tolls

Post by THE_STIG »

KALSTER wrote:I heard about a spray that makes your registration plate difficult to read with cameras. Makes it fluorescent or something, showing as white. Not sure if it is true and would of course never, ever use such a thing...
If such stuff exists then I will not hesitate to use it.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Of course not
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Tribble wrote:Of course not
why not, we need something to stop ourselves from getting robbed by SANFAIL
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

THE_STIG wrote:But is it also true that if your car is registered in a different Provence you dont pay toll?
Wrong.
KALSTER wrote:I heard about a spray that makes your registration plate difficult to read with cameras. Makes it fluorescent or something, showing as white. Not sure if it is true and would of course never, ever use such a thing...
Wrong. The cameras don't have flashes - that's what those nice blue/purple light are for.

You both might gain from having a look here.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
doo_much

Sanral warns of hoax calls

Post by doo_much »

TNA wrote:Hoax phone calls are being made warning road users that their cars will be confiscated if they are not registered for the Gauteng e-tolling system, the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) said on Tuesday.

"It has been brought to Sanral's attention that road users have been contacted by people claiming to be Sanral staff members and providing users with their vehicle licence details," it said in a statement.

It urged the public to report calls to the fraud hotline on 080-020-4558, as Sanral had not instructed anyone to contact vehicle owners.

"Sanral again emphasises that nobody's vehicle can be taken away from them if they choose not to register."

Earlier, the Congress of SA Trade Unions said it would mobilise two million members to take part in national protests against the e-tolling system from April 23.

These would lead up to a large "national stay-away or socio-economic strike" on April 30, when the tolls are to be implemented, Cosatu spokesman Patrick Craven said. -Sapa
Source
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

How can they have a fraud hotline when what they are doing is fraud
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Gauteng (GFIP) Tolls

Post by Stuart »

THE_STIG wrote:How can they have a fraud hotline when what they are doing is fraud
www.dictionary.com
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Stuart wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:How can they have a fraud hotline when what they are doing is fraud
http://www.dictionary.com
Is is fraud:
deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage.
I rest my case :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

For once, young whippersnapper, we are in total agreement. :thumbup:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

doo_much wrote:For once, young whippersnapper, we are in total agreement. :thumbup:
Am I right :shock: Is it snowing
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Resuscitation time.

Interesting that the 'gifted ones' haven't launched an attack on the SANRAL website? Or have they tried and failed.

Where's Lemmetjie when you need him?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

we have both gotten tags as RRF as done the sums and for him to use the back roads to work is going to cost him more in petrol than it would to pay for the toll as well as his normal petrol per month...

for me it's cause my car is registered in KZN and to ensure that I don't pay the day charges every time we use my car I have to register...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Ahhh, sou you've given in to the financial blackmail?

So much for civil disobedience... :?

I will not use an alternative route since the added distance would cost me more in fuel than tolls would. And, being a law-abiding citizen, I will of course pay these tolls promptly when they are invoiced.
If, of course, I agree with the charges. Barring which I might have to query the whole thing. (Wonder how these 'invoices' will look and how detailed they will be??)

But buy and e-tag? I'd rather pay more on tolls.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Me dad just made a rather good point.

If you don't have an e-tag and you're cruising at 10km/h under one of the gantries in bumper-to-bumper traffic, how effective are the cameras going to be???
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

I haven't bought an e-tag.
doo_much wrote:how effective are the cameras going to be???
Effective for what?
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Gauteng (GFIP) Trolls

Post by Anakha56 »

meh Call me a sellout but I will be registering for a 2 day passes for my visit up to JHB this weekend for Nickleback & family time. If they do get the fine thing working 100% I don't need to get whacked with this huge bill...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Joiners.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

GDI_Lord wrote:I haven't bought an e-tag.
doo_much wrote:how effective are the cameras going to be???
Effective for what?
I assuming that - if you don't have an e-tag - they'd have to snap your number plate in order to bill you? If the cars in front and at the back of you are obscuring you numberplate, then...?
Anakha56 wrote:meh Call me a sellout but I will be registering for a 2 day passes for my visit up to JHB this weekend for Nickleback & family time. If they do get the fine thing working 100% I don't need to get whacked with this huge bill...
Which is your democratic right. We'll support you as well once they start tolling every darn road in KZN. :thumbup:
SykomantiS wrote:Joiners.
Don't be like that. Every society needs sheep?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yes, because veal is delicious. Om nom nom.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Anakha56 wrote:my visit up to JHB this weekend for Nickleback
Kill yourself...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

hamin_aus wrote:
Kill yourself...
I was waiting for someone to comment on that. This man has bigger problems than etags.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

doo_much wrote:I assuming that - if you don't have an e-tag - they'd have to snap your number plate in order to bill you? If the cars in front and at the back of you are obscuring you numberplate, then...?
Because cameras are rubbish and they cannot in any way, shape or form take a picture of your licence disk sticker on your windshield and process that. Or send that image to a human who has to be paid a salary to look a the ultra-hi-res picture and then issue you a ticket.

Really dude. This is the 21st century. If satellites in the 70's could read the brand of cigarette packet in a man's hand, cameras are capable of taking a good picture of your licence disk. (One could, of course, then straddle the lanes going through the gantries and *try* to avoid the licence disk cameras that way... ;- )
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:
hamin_aus wrote:
Kill yourself...
I was waiting for someone to comment on that. This man has bigger problems than etags.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Its her Christmas gift and I get some really good points so its not that big a problem ;). The problem is the drive in JHB... <_<

@doo I am already prepared for that. They just need to decide where they are going to put the toll road (planning since 2006) and once I know that information I will find out if my alternate route works and if not what the company will be giving as a increase to counter the toll. I think they are waiting to see how effective JHB is with their toll before they make a decision.

Also for me a day pass is R50 and is unlimited use of the roads for 24hr's and I just need 2. So that is a R100 bucks and no fine whereas the fine could work out to be a whole lot more.

*dons tinfoil hat*

I am thinking that this e-toll is a way for the Prez to pay for his home upgrade since they already relocated funds from other projects for it so why not skim some off the top... ;)

Oh and why not get a clear gel pack to go over the license disk? Insert a oil like substance into it so that when the light hits you get weird light reflection just make sure wherever you stop in public to remove said pack so you don't get caught...

*remove tin foil hat*
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

GDI_Lord wrote:
doo_much wrote:I assuming that - if you don't have an e-tag - they'd have to snap your number plate in order to bill you? If the cars in front and at the back of you are obscuring you numberplate, then...?
Because cameras are rubbish and they cannot in any way, shape or form take a picture of your licence disk sticker on your windshield and process that. Or send that image to a human who has to be paid a salary to look a the ultra-hi-res picture and then issue you a ticket.

Really dude. This is the 21st century. If satellites in the 70's could read the brand of cigarette packet in a man's hand, cameras are capable of taking a good picture of your licence disk. (One could, of course, then straddle the lanes going through the gantries and *try* to avoid the licence disk cameras that way... ;- )
Having wound my way through the treacly muck of ill conceived sarcasm, I gather the impression that you are saying they'll be snapping our license discs(as well?) - which is news to me. Interesting.

Thanks, I'll have a read-up on that.

*edit

Hmmm.

Seems we're stuck with 'old' tech.
SANRAL website wrote: Do I need to slow down when I get to the toll gantry?

No. The technology on the gantry is able to read the vehicle number plate and/or e-tag at any speed.
Except if they're trying to pull the wool over our eyes?
Last edited by doo_much on 03 Dec 2013, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey