Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Bladerunner wrote:4) Both have power steering, but the Nissan's steering has just that little bit more power in it.
You mean it doesn't feel like you are trying to slap someone around with a rubber fish ???
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Bladerunner wrote:I disagree, like I said the Nissan Tiida is a really nice car. It feels like you're sitting in the living room when you're in the back and it's extremely quiet inside when on the road. For a family car it's perfect.
Are you mad, the Tiida is dog ugly and if you want quite and comfortable go and buy a merc, compared to my old 1999 C-class the Tiida is like being inside a T34 tank.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

@RRF. I completely agree I will never buy a VW, they are expensive, uncomfortable....and the diesels are rough, noisy and produce no power whatsoever.

But between the Nissan and the VW. Well I would choose the VW, but that is like choosing to be shot rather than hanged.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

RuadRauFlessa wrote: First of all regardless of the measly 55kw it pushes out it is just plain dead. My mom has a Golf I and the thing is nippier than the vivo with exactly the same engine and gearbox.
I did drive a 1.6 today, which was quite nippy. I realise the 1.4 won't be as fast.
RuadRauFlessa wrote: Secondly ye the driving positions gets to you. The seats are like in completely flat to the point where your legs will start cramping if you do 2 hour plus trips with it. The driving positions is too high even for me and I am not that tall. And it does not matter on which settings you have the steering wheel your legs will always be in the way if you want to use it properly.
I don't get why you say this. I'm 1.75m and I had none of these problems whatsoever. I was very comfortable in it.
RuadRauFlessa wrote: Third.... The damn brake pedal is like 2 inches higher than the petrol.
To be honest, I didn't realise this. I just shifted my foot to the left and it was fine.
RuadRauFlessa wrote: Sorry have to add that if you lift your foot from the petrol those two inches your knee hits the steering wheel. And I got the steering wheel set as high as it can go and I do sit some distance back... I don't hog the steering wheel like some other people I know...
Again, no issues like this.
RuadRauFlessa wrote: Fith.... The handbrake for some or other reason just loses tension...
This could be a problem.
RuadRauFlessa wrote: Six.... The brakes are there but they are so spongy that you don't notice them unless you really hammer down on them.
Really? The ABS felt alright for me.
RuadRauFlessa wrote: Seven.... Don't believe the advertised mileages you get on fuel consumption.
You can't believe those numbers from any company. ;)
RuadRauFlessa wrote: Eight.... Your service plan is not included in the sales price of the car... if you want one they are going to charge you extra. mine worked met out at around R164 000 after the extras... and R17 000 of that is service plan.
Yes it seems VW wants to sell you all kinds of extra crap at ridiculous prices. I just said no to everything.
RuadRauFlessa wrote: Nine... Insurance will nail you to a cross and hang you upside down. Costs me around R1100 every month and that was the very cheapest I could find even after I got a tracking unit fitted. I can even remember one insurance company quoting me R1059/month with an excess of R25 000
My parents had the same problem. A bit of haggling and they easily got theirs down from R800 to R300. They try and rip you off, but if you haggle a bit you get it cheaper.
RuadRauFlessa wrote: BTW... I would rather have a look at the Hyundai i10/i20 very nice cars and better value for what you get in them.
I don't buy Korean. :wink:
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

THE_STIG wrote:@RRF. I completely agree I will never buy a VW, they are expensive, uncomfortable....and the diesels are rough, noisy and produce no power whatsoever.

But between the Nissan and the VW. Well I would choose the VW, but that is like choosing to be shot rather than hanged.
You do realise you spoiled little ... that not everyone can just go out and buy a merc? :P And no, as I've said, I flat refuse to buy second hand.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Only.....nevermind. There is nothing wrong with second-hand, you get lots more car for your money. Let me ask you something, how much does a polo vivo cost, about 120K right, and for that price second-hand you can buy a Merc, BMW, Audi even a Jag.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

THE_STIG wrote:Only.....nevermind. There is nothing wrong with second-hand, you get lots more car for your money. Let me ask you something, how much does a polo vivo cost, about 120K right, and for that price second-hand you can buy a Merc, BMW, Audi even a Jag.
Which, as I've said, is my choice not to do. Also the thread title specifically asks for the reader's opinion between two cars. And only those two. :!:

I know how wonderful a Mercedes, BMW, Jag is. I can't afford it and I won't buy 2nd hand, so it's not going to happen.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Then you are being ignorant.......
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

THE_STIG wrote:Then you are being ignorant.......
Then I am practising my rights as a free citizen.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Bladerunner wrote:
That is true :lol:
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

THE_STIG wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:
That is true :lol:
So please, after I've repeatedly said I'm not buying 2nd hand or Korean, if you can't read don't spam this thread.

I realise these cars have their faults. I don't agree with everything Ruad said but I appreciate him taking the time to share his problems with me. Yes it's a cheap car and yes I can afford more (no, not enough to buy Mercs or BMWs), but again, it's my choice not to.

For several reasons I arrived at these two cars. They'll do what I want them to do. I find the Polo to be fairly decent and I think I'll be buying it.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Wait why not Get a new Opel Astra
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Please learn to read you half-wit. I've reported your post as I'm sick of you spamming serious threads with the only intent of raising your post count. I do not appreciate your input in this thread.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Nice choice Bladerunner. I'm sure you'll be happy and have years of enjoyment without regret.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Synthesis wrote:Nice choice Bladerunner. I'm sure you'll be happy and have years of enjoyment without regret.
Thanks. Like I said, I know it's cheap, but for several reasons and circumstances and personal preference it's down to these two.

I don't know about years of enjoyment, but for a few years it will do what I require. Which is basically driving to work, shopping, visiting friends. I don't do long distance travels at the moment.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

THE_STIG wrote:Wait why not Get a new Opel Astra
Stig if you cannot contribute to the discussion at hand by staying on topic then please leave. OP has asked/told you numerous times that this is the discussion he wants so please respect that and either A: Contribute by being on topic or B: Leave it be.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Well it is advice since I know the Astra is going to be a better buy than the VW and the Nissan, But as I said earlier if he wants one of those two cars the Vivo is the better one.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Bladerunner wrote: I find the Polo to be fairly decent and I think I'll be buying it.
It's a good thing you don't drink. - you can fit more coolers in the back of the bakkie! ;)

How much are you paying and what kind of a service plan etc are you getting?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

doo_much wrote:
Bladerunner wrote: I find the Polo to be fairly decent and I think I'll be buying it.
It's a good thing you don't drink. - you can fit more coolers in the back of the bakkie! ;)

How much are you paying and what kind of a service plan etc are you getting?
R129 000 with all the extras and admin costs. Will be paying the services myself.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Any idea how much the services will be?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Not yet, but apparently VW is rather expensive when it comes to that. I'm sure RuadRauFlessa can tell me about it.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Bladerunner the first service will clock you in at around R800 not too bad all things concidering but then again it is only visual checks and a minor ECU tune. My Sister's boyfriend has a 1.6 Polo and he currently pays around R3500 for each service at 15 000 km intervals. If you don't drive a lot you could simply put away like R120 or something each month and pay the service out of that. Or better yet work it out according to the amount of km you drive.

Bladerunner... I found all those things I mentioned to irritate or annoy me at around the first service mark and some of them after that time. None of it was things which hit me face on. And yes the 1.6 is nice and nippy but I still, given a choice which I did not have when I bought my car, won't buy either.

See my issue came in that I didn't have a choice. Given your two choices I would get the vivo again as I am not a pickup fan at all. And all things said and done the vivo is a nice get around. A daily driver. Mechanically reliable, fairly pothole proof, and decent on the juice.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:And all things said and done the vivo is a nice get around. A daily driver. Mechanically reliable, fairly pothole proof, and decent on the juice.
I live 5km from where I work, there's a Pick and Pay less than 1km from me, and I'm 7km from the mall.

I might have to drive to P.E. in a few months and I need a car which is reliable and won't break down on the way. And other than that, I simply do need a new car. My current one regularly comes up with small problems, but I don't want to wait for something worse to happen.

I have a 1985 (or 1982?) Mazda at the moment and while it's still reliable in the city, I doubt it will make a trip to P.E. without something breaking along the way.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Bladerunner wrote:I have a 1985 (or 1982?) Mazda at the moment and while it's still reliable in the city, I doubt it will make a trip to P.E. without something breaking along the way.
I get your meaning on that. I have a 1983 Giulietta and to be honest in my opinion it is a great car... although it is currently in need of some serious repairs which is also why I had to get a new car. I had 2 days in which to shop for a new car and the vivo was basically the best I could get in the price range. I might get irritated with the vivo from time to time but once you remember that it is nothing more than a daily driver... point A to B... and not something special then all is good with the world again.

It is a choice that will not drop you along the road to P.E... I do trip every year to George.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:I have a 1985 (or 1982?) Mazda at the moment and while it's still reliable in the city, I doubt it will make a trip to P.E. without something breaking along the way.
I get your meaning on that. I have a 1983 Giulietta and to be honest in my opinion it is a great car... although it is currently in need of some serious repairs which is also why I had to get a new car. I had 2 days in which to shop for a new car and the vivo was basically the best I could get in the price range. I might get irritated with the vivo from time to time but once you remember that it is nothing more than a daily driver... point A to B... and not something special then all is good with the world again.

It is a choice that will not drop you along the road to P.E... I do trip every year to George.
Cool, thanks for the info.