Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Re: Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Post by Bladerunner »

By the way, that doesn't look like the NP200's interior, but the Ford Bantam's....
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Well, my reasoning is as someone already said. Unless you have a genuine use for the bakkie, then the polo is a better option. It'll drive nicer and it has nicer features.

Car vs Bakkie:
Can't be as comfortable as a car when driving long distance.

Bakkie:
Security risk when you have shopping or equipment on the back. Even with a canopy.
Weather dependant on what or who's on the back.
Seats 2.

Car:
Needs a trailer to transport extra goods.
More worries about keeping the interior in a good condition.

Sure there's plenty you can add to that list...

P.S. you could be right. Just searched google images and took the first interior pic on an NP200 search. Sorry if I'm wrong :oops:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Bladerunner wrote:
doo_much wrote:I'd go for the bakkie - if it had a decent canopy.
Reasons, Oom? :)
You don't have kids to lug around yet so in your case - versatility.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
naughty

Post by naughty »

definitely the wrong pics all the way in terms of the NP200

the pic you showed is the original old shape NP200 - it has subsequently had a face lift - the bumpers look very different now - besides for the pics ive posted above heres one of the new shaped bumpers

the interior of the mid spec version actually looks like this

the low spec model looks similar only it is all black and does not have the silver centre

and the other flaw in your argument is that he is choosing between the NP200 and the Polo Vivo - not the new Polo which is definitely in another price bracket altogether especially when considering similar sizes of engine

now im sure that this doesnt quite match the sexy looking new Polo you picture :P in whatever color you care to chose

funny thing too that you grab pictures of the old generation of the NP200 but pics of the new generation Polo .... one would be forgiven for thinking you are trying to discredit the Nissan for some reason or the other :? - not saying that you are just that it seems that way unless you dont really know much about the cars under discussion
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Thanks, but I don't buy secondhand. This thread really is strictly between the VW and the Nissan as I've already made up my mind to go with one of those.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Why not secondhand?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Because it might appear in good condition but the previous owner might not have taken good care of it and problems will arise 5 000 km later. I am paranoid, I know. I prefer buying new and I'm not budging from my standpoint on this. ;)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Hey, it's your life choice! :D

You can argue the pros and cons either way but in the end it comes down to personal preference?
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

if you choose the bakkie.... you can then go to the OFM Bakkie Day at Nampo Park.... :D
you will also get a special parking place just for your bakkie...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

In that case... NP200.. apparently it was built for the SA market. Hopefully this means it will stand up to our rough conditions and not be too complicated to fix if it does break.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

KatrynKat wrote:if you choose the bakkie.... you can then go to the OFM Bakkie Day at Nampo Park.... :D
you will also get a special parking place just for your bakkie...
One word: WHY??? :scratch:

I'm not buying a bakkie because I'm a fanboi and want to mix with other bakkie fanbois... It's the only halfway decent "car" in that price class.

I wanted to say not French or Korean, but then I realised it's actually a Renault and someone would probably have nominated me for an "epic fail" had I done so.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I would go for the NP200 and will sum it up in one word: Versatility.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Will be test driving both this afternoon and will let you guys know.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Bladerunner wrote:Right now I want a car that's comfortable and a pleasure to drive.
I'm assuming you mean this as: "I want a car that's as comfortable and drivable as possible for cars in this price class"?
If not you're not going to have a pleasurable drive. (But maybe I'm just spoilt with my car)

I've driven the Polo Vivo and it was punishment to drive it. Even when only compared to my previous car (2002 Mazda Etude).
It's not that it drives badly. You have power steering, and the handling is as good as you can expect for a "cheap" entry level car, but what REALLY bothered me is the driving position. The seat can't move up and down, and is therefore stuck in the highest possible driving position, which, if you are anywhere near 1.8m tall is a real pain, and you will not enjoy driving it. I almost get car sick while driving it.
Ask Ruadrauflessa about it. He has a vivo and he can give you more insight into it.

As for the bakkie, well, other than it's uglyness(yes naughty, It IS ugly.), I suppose a basic car for 2 is good enough and versatile enough for what you want at present.
I haven't driven one, but from my experience of basic bakkies, I've always found that the seats are "1 size fits all". I.o.w. you can't move the seat any way so if the driving position isn't already perfect for your size and height, you're gonna struggle.

As for some other opinions in this thread:
@naughty: Looks are 100% personal taste. If fish thinks the bakkie is "Dog Ugly" (and I agree with him) then that is his opinion. You can't claim he doesn't know what he's talking about (or hasn't got eyes) simply because you don't agree with him. Besides, the best you could say about it yourself was that it is "pretty decent looking" which isn't much of a compliment to it's looks either. (I dare you to try pick up a girl by using the line: "you're pretty decent looking")
Personally, I think the only way you can see that bakkie as NOT being dog ugly is if you haven't got eyes. (But that's my opinion)

As for practicality:
This is in the eye of the beholder, really. Yes, perhaps a 4 door car is more practical in terms of getting more people in it comfortably, but when you're driving it alone, or with just 1 other person 99.9% of the time, those doors are just a waste. (Which is another reason why I bought my car in the 3 door version). It's all about what you're going to use the car for 99% of the time, and, with a 1% weight, what you imagine you're going to use the vehicle for the other 1% of the time :)

Someone also commented on the buttons on the console looking cheap? (Can't remember who).
That's because they ARE cheap :) that's just 1 of the ways they use to cut manufacturing cost, to make the car cheaper.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Kronos wrote: I'm assuming you mean this as: "I want a car that's as comfortable and drivable as possible for cars in this price class"?
Of course. I'm not going to have delusions of grandeur.
Kronos wrote:...what REALLY bothered me is the driving position
Well if that's the only thing that bothered you, then there's a chance it might not bother me and it might actually be comfortable.
Kronos wrote: As for the bakkie, well, other than it's uglyness(yes naughty, It IS ugly.), I suppose a basic car for 2 is good enough and versatile enough for what you want at present.
Once again down to personal taste, I don't find the look that bad, I actually think it's good looking. At present (and for a few years), it'll be enough for what I want.
Kronos wrote: Someone also commented on the buttons on the console looking cheap? (Can't remember who).
That's because they ARE cheap :) that's just 1 of the ways they use to cut manufacturing cost, to make the car cheaper.
I made that comment. If you look at the NP200's console and then at the Vivo's you'll see what I mean. Yes of course they'll be cheap, I'm aware I'm buying a cheap car, but on the NP200 they look like Nissan tried very hard to make it look cheap.
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Bladerunner wrote:Well if that's the only thing that bothered you, then there's a chance it might not bother me and it might actually be comfortable.
Just make sure when you test drive it. Ruad is only about 25cm tall and even he finds it a bit uncomfortable :)
Bladerunner wrote:Once again down to personal taste, I don't find the look that bad, I actually think it's good looking. At present (and for a few years), it'll be enough for what I want.
Hehe, see my comment on picking up a girl in my previous post.

"Hey girl, you don't look that bad. Wanna come back to my place"... :mrgreen:

But as you say. Personal taste. If only you had good personal taste though :P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Kronos wrote:what REALLY bothered me is the driving position. The seat can't move up and down, and is therefore stuck in the highest possible driving position, which, if you are anywhere near 1.8m tall is a real pain, and you will not enjoy driving it. I almost get car sick while driving it.
I had a 2005 Polo (one just before the new shape and the Vivo) and it's seats where height adjustable... was not aware the Vivo's aren't...
naughty

Post by naughty »

@naughty: Looks are 100% personal taste. If fish thinks the bakkie is "Dog Ugly" (and I agree with him) then that is his opinion. You can't claim he doesn't know what he's talking about (or hasn't got eyes) simply because you don't agree with him
you guys need to realize that not every car is going to look like a ferrari - this is a vehicle thats designed to carry a load and for that purpose it does more than a ferrari does - hence you need to compare it to other bakkies in its class

and in terms of that it does look good ...... in fact way better than most of the vehicles in its class. as for opinions you know the saying about opinions so i wont repeat it where its got a chance to be deleted

suffice it to say that some people are just stubborn and dont look at the newer design of stuff and just base their opinions on the first thing they see on google
If only you had good personal taste though
truth be told - his taste seems way better than yours :P

yes you did tear me off a strip with some nonsense about opinions and some other utter rubbish like that and so this is my opinion and im adding a smiley as well, like you did to your nonsensical statement for the same reason that you did (to pretend that you are being humourous while your intention was merely to insult someone else) :wink:

one more thing - if you base everything that you buy on how it looks to girls or over the fact that it may influence them you truly need to "get a life"
Last edited by naughty on 14 Feb 2011, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

This kind of behavior tells me you are a very indecisive person? Relying heavily on other people's opinion of something? Perhaps even worried what people might think if you made the "wrong" choice?

A car must appeal to you. You will be spending a lot of time in it. So buy what you feel is the right one.
Cars and bikes and boats and things like that needs to "speak" to you, otherwise you will be sick of it in a year and wanting to trade.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

The verdict: Polo Vivo

Reasons:

1) The Nissan is very noisy at speeds in excess of 100 kph.

2) The Nissan's aircon is not as powerful as the Polo's, in fact it didn't really cope with keeping the cabin cool.

3) The Nissan's console feels very cheap. The dials look cheap. In the Polo you know it's cheap, but you're not being slapped in the face by its 'cheapness'.

4) While not as big inside as the Nissan, I had no problems fitting into the car. I'm 175 cm. The Polo is comfortable to drive.

Pro's for the Nissan:

1) It's a good bakkie. For a bakkie of that size and price it's honestly not bad.

2) The cabin is indeed very roomy and the seats are also bigger than those of the Polo.

3) It does provide a pleasant drive. The noise levels are a problem, but it feels good and sturdy on the road.

4) Both have power steering, but the Nissan's steering has just that little bit more power in it.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Bladerunner wrote:The verdict: Polo Vivo

Reasons:

1) The Nissan is very noisy........
ie the Nissan is crap, as all Nissan's are.......defiantly the polo, it is quite a nice little car but make sure you have some insurance as it is very likely to get stolen.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

THE_STIG wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:The verdict: Polo Vivo

Reasons:

1) The Nissan is very noisy........
ie the Nissan is crap, as all Nissan's are.......defiantly the polo, it is quite a nice little car but make sure you have some insurance as it is very likely to get stolen.
I disagree, like I said the Nissan Tiida is a really nice car. It feels like you're sitting in the living room when you're in the back and it's extremely quiet inside when on the road. For a family car it's perfect.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Kronos wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:Well if that's the only thing that bothered you, then there's a chance it might not bother me and it might actually be comfortable.
Just make sure when you test drive it. Ruad is only about 25cm tall and even he finds it a bit uncomfortable :)
Bladerunner wrote:Once again down to personal taste, I don't find the look that bad, I actually think it's good looking. At present (and for a few years), it'll be enough for what I want.
Hehe, see my comment on picking up a girl in my previous post.

"Hey girl, you don't look that bad. Wanna come back to my place"... :mrgreen:

But as you say. Personal taste. If only you had good personal taste though :P
Well let me put it this way.....

My next car will definitively NOT be a VW.....

First of all regardless of the measly 55kw it pushes out it is just plain dead. My mom has a Golf I and the thing is nippier than the vivo with exactly the same engine and gearbox.

Secondly ye the driving positions gets to you. The seats are like in completely flat to the point where your legs will start cramping if you do 2 hour plus trips with it. The driving positions is too high even for me and I am not that tall. And it does not matter on which settings you have the steering wheel your legs will always be in the way if you want to use it properly.

Third.... The damn brake pedal is like 2 inches higher than the petrol. I do realize they can adjust this but after asking the garage to do it at the first service all they wrote on the job card was... no fault found.... pisses me off. Same for a piece of the dash which has come unhooked. They simply stated on the job card again.... no fault found...
[edit]
Sorry have to add that if you lift your foot from the petrol those two inches your knee hits the steering wheel. And I got the steering wheel set as high as it can go and I do sit some distance back... I don't hog the steering wheel like some other people I know...
[/edit]

Fourth.... Now a niggly little thing which you think might not bother you at all but that is truly irritating to say the least..... the damn boot does not have a light in it. It is like in come on VW what in the name of Zuse bleep where you thinking.

Fith.... The handbrake for some or other reason just loses tension... And by the way this is not just mine I have heard of other vivo and new polo owners who's also does the same. I have to keep on pulling it higher all the time to get the vehicle to stay.

Six.... The brakes are there but they are so spongy that you don't notice them unless you really hammer down on them.

Seven.... Don't believe the advertised mileages you get on fuel consumption. From the VW website they say you get a very nice combined cycle of 16.2km/l or rather 6.2l/100km... I drive a combined cycle every day to work and I got 12.36km/l which is not all that great for a 1400

Eight.... Your service plan is not included in the sales price of the car... if you want one they are going to charge you extra. mine worked met out at around R164 000 after the extras... and R17 000 of that is service plan.

Nine... Insurance will nail you to a cross and hang you upside down. Costs me around R1100 every month and that was the very cheapest I could find even after I got a tracking unit fitted. I can even remember one insurance company quoting me R1059/month with an excess of R25 000

Ten.... Do you really want me to go on with the list. Cuz I can... Really I can... I can complain some more about the service I receive at garages, Aircon that just does what it wants when it wants to, The radio who's blue-tooth GSM only works when it really wants to. Flimsy cup holders that won't even hold an empty coke can the right side up for any duration of time while the vehicle is moving, Glove compartments so small that you can barely fit the car's booklet into it and then no other storage compartment where something is out of view to someone looking into the car. I can go on all night long but alas..... I have to get into my crappy little polo now and go buy something to eat and drink for tonight.

BTW... I would rather have a look at the Hyundai i10/i20 very nice cars and better value for what you get in them. And I personally won't even look at any form of a pickup. But that is my personal view on the matters.

Cheerio.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932