Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Post by Bladerunner »

Hi guys. I need some help deciding between these two.

I can get the Polo 1.4 Base 5dr model for R129 000 (total cost with all VW's admin costs). This includes power steering, aircon, ABS, radio, alloy wheels, central locking... Basically whatever can be added on, is added on.

The Nissan NP200 is the 1.6 mid-spec model, for R134 000 (once again, everything included). It has quite a bit more power and more torque, as expected. Apparently it is also very roomy inside. It only has power steering, aircon, and radio though, but looks pretty nice to drive.

I will be test driving both of these next week, but on paper which would you prefer? I really cannot make up my mind, so I'm hoping the test drive will shift the balance.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
jee

Re: Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Post by jee »

Blade, I have looked at the Vivo and found out that a fair number of its parts are made in South America :( I have decided to go for the Polo classic rather. I have had a Nissan before, and was incredibly happy with her power (was a little 1400 Sentra). I have a 1400 10 year old Polo and she is just as great a car.

Both have the room that I need. (i'm 1,84 and often wear heels) - and the boot size is important ( we need to get 4 people's luggage).

must say, its a touch choice - but the resale value on Volkswagen is better. THe proof of the pud will be in the test driving..
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

You have overlooked the biggest factor in those 2.
2Door VS 5 Door and yes it makes a difference. You may say now that u only need 2 doors but later you will find it annoying (i can testify to this).
Unless you need the bakkie for work or whatever go for the 4door car its just more practical.

Oh yes and that bakkie is dog ugly specially with a canopy on
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Fish_man wrote: Oh yes and that bakkie is dog ugly specially with a canopy on
You make valid points all around except with the looks. I love the look of the NP200. :lol:

Right now I don't have kids or a family to drive around, so I doubt the 2 door will bother me that much atm. Right now I want a car that's comfortable and a pleasure to drive.

EDIT: But yes I have considered the fact that a 4 door car is more practical.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

Like i said you may not need the 4 doors now , but one night you'll be at a pub/or lan , and its raining and 2 buddys want a lift or you take your parents for dinner or whatever, Someone's not gonna enjoy sitting on the back of the bakkie ;-)
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Fish_man wrote:Like i said you may not need the 4 doors now , but one night you'll be at a pub/or lan , and its raining and 2 buddys want a lift or you take your parents for dinner or whatever, Someone's not gonna enjoy sitting on the back of the bakkie ;-)
I mentioned this to a colleague at work, he said it shouldn't matter because I'll be the one driving it daily. If someone desperately wants a lift, they can hop in the back :lol:
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

NP200 is a Renault in a bukkie form. Go Polo.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Fish_man

Post by Fish_man »

JollyJamma wrote:Renault in a bukkie form.
Explain
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Nissan and Ranault have a cooperative building agreement where they share chassis and parts between them to save money.
The NP200 is a Logan in reality.

Wiki

Polo is a good looking car now.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

The Nissan Tiida (which my dad has) is basically a Renault Megane but it's a very nice car. So I have no worries regarding that.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I'd go for the bakkie - if it had a decent canopy.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

doo_much wrote:I'd go for the bakkie - if it had a decent canopy.
Reasons, Oom? :)
naughty

Post by naughty »

Oh yes and that bakkie is dog ugly
you obviously havent got a clue what you are talking about in this instance (yes this is a strong statement but its about as strong as your infactual statement) - in all reality whats ugly about this below? - i personally think it's pretty decent looking even though i might be biased cos i have one but you are harping on the wrong aspect if you want to make any negative connotations about it

mine

nothing that looks bad in the way you say (i mean saying "dog ugly" truly implies that you dont have eyes) - even though its a matter of taste - i reckon most people would be happy with a vehicle looking like this if they needed a "pickup minitruck" or "bakkie" as its described here

yes the NP200 is actually based on a Dacia Logan (Renault Logan here in South Africa) but does that automatically mean that its a bad car? - people can say what they like about Renault's after sales service but the car isnt really a Renault nor is it truly a Nissan but you will encounter Nissan's after sales service for this vehicle not Renault's and so far i havent had cause to complain (its better to talk about stuff you experience instead of talking about stuff that you are guessing about)

BTW i had a Polo GTI which is the 1.8 turbo version and my circumstances required to not only transport me but also some goods so ive had to make the change - and to be honest im not unhappy despite it being far slower and less dynamic to drive than the Polo - but it gets my job done

the vehicle can get a decent looking canopy - there is one which makes it look extremely sporty as long as its painted/color coded properly - ive seen this one in silver and claret red and i want to get this done on my vehicle as well cos it really looks fantastic and sporty and nowhere near your descriptive terms which in all reality are just a thumbsuck at best

Last edited by naughty on 12 Feb 2011, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

naughty wrote: BTW i had a Polo GTI which is the 1.8 turbo version and my circumstances required to not only transport me but also some goods so ive had to make the change - and to be honest im not unhappy despite it being far slower and less dynamic to drive than the Polo
Keep in mind you had a GTi and my other option is a Polo Vivo 55kW. The NP200 has 77kW of power.
naughty

Post by naughty »

Bladerunner wrote:
naughty wrote: BTW i had a Polo GTI which is the 1.8 turbo version and my circumstances required to not only transport me but also some goods so ive had to make the change - and to be honest im not unhappy despite it being far slower and less dynamic to drive than the Polo
Keep in mind you had a GTi and my other option is a Polo Vivo 55kW. The NP200 has 77kW of power.
i have not driven a Vivo at all but what you need to keep in mind is also things like gear ratios and power to mass ratios etc which will all affect how a car drives - the NP200 is not an entertaining car to drive BUT im pretty confident it wasnt meant to be since its designed more as a basic workhorse and as a secondary lifestyle vehicle whereas the Vivo is meant to be a basic economical people carrier

i dont mind either vehicle and i say it depends on your needs ie mine tended toward having to transport goods as well as myself so the pickup makes sense - but if i needed to transport more people generally and no goods then the Vivo makes sense - so look at the primary purpose of the vehicle - cos remember with the NP200 you can only transport 2 people at a time (in relative comfort cos a lot of people carry their workers etc in the back anyway)
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

naughty wrote:the NP200 is not an entertaining car to drive
I get conflicting reviews about that. Some find it fun to drive, others don't see anything special about it.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Polo. But I'm trying to find reasons against it so I'm not biased when it comes to the test drive. :wink:
garp

Post by garp »

I used to drive a ford Bantam and have since upgraded to a cossPolo now. While The polo is awesome, I miss the practicality of the bantam i.e., being able to chuck pretty much whatever you want into the back\being able to park anywhere without worrying a whole lot about "parking lot dings" and the odd rattle here and there was perfectly acceptable :P bottom line is, bakkies rule, but the Vivo will feel a bit more luxurious then the NP200 (based on the previous polo's design) I also looked at the NP200, and it is indeed a very nice little bakkie… Have you possibly considered the Ford Figo? Top of the line 1.4 is about R130 000 I think
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

I don't like Fords. ;) It's complicated but that's the bottom line.
garp

Post by garp »

I loved mine, but everyones got their reasons :P
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
naughty

Post by naughty »

Bladerunner wrote:
naughty wrote:the NP200 is not an entertaining car to drive
I get conflicting reviews about that. Some find it fun to drive, others don't see anything special about it.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Polo. But I'm trying to find reasons against it so I'm not biased when it comes to the test drive. :wink:
remember that im comparing it to a Polo Gti which is the last car i owned before the NP200 - and the NP200 falls far short of anything remotely close to being exciting to drive when compared to the electrifying performance of the Gti

and then again i also have the base model of the NP200 which is an 8v model as opposed to the 16v mid spec - so the nissan is pretty much a pedestrian drive but it does the job which i need it to do :wink:
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Bladerunner wrote:
Right now I don't have kids or a family to drive around, so I doubt the 2 door will bother me that much atm. Right now I want a car that's comfortable and a pleasure to drive.
Ok, then if you want it to stay that way, pitch up in a NP200 :|

Otherwise, if you would like that to change, or at least prefer some more attention from the ladies, you would rather want to pitch up in the polo 8)

Over-all though, personally I would go for the polo. :wink:
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

My old mans company made the change to Nissan Np200 when their delivery mine vehicles needs replacing.
I must say I have been really impressed with the little bakkie. There is no better way to test reliability and build than by giving your vehicle to a mine delivery driver.
The 10 they bought are all still happily whizzing back and forth along the mine roads and main roads delivering parts etc. The two oldest are now just creeping over 100 000km and although scratched and dented from poor driving, mechanically they've had no issues. The A/C packed up on 1 of the 10 but it replaced under warranty with no problems.
The argument that they are part-Renault is a poor one, as Naughty says, you don't have to deal with Renault dealerships at all. You deal with Nissan only.
Interestingly the overall running cost of the little Nissan fleet is less that the previous fleet of Bantams so that was a nice surprise for the company as well.

The 4 doors versus 2 doors is only one you can answer.
Yes it is convenient to be able to give lifts to a few guys once in a while, but then again it is also useful to be able to transport a couch and/or bed and/or garden refuse and/or bricks etc..

I'd go with the NP200 :)
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

Synthesis I am not single, and she doesn't mind the NP200 only having 2 doors. :P

What does bother me about it is the 'interface'. I hate all the buttons being in the centre of the dash and looking so cheap. Maybe it's just the photo, perhaps it looks better in real life.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I'm also in the process of looking for a 2nd car. I, however do have a wife and kids and travel VERY far for business. I have narrowed it down to an SUV or a double-cab.

Why? purely practical reasons.
Don't want to have to worry about road hazards like potholes.
Don't want to worry about space or lack of comfort when going on a lengthy holiday

I've narrowed it down to the following components to help me choose.

Must have Aircon, Electric windows, Power steering, Airbags, 5 doors, high profile (I travel on a lot of dirt-roads)
Mustn't have, low profile tyres, fancy mags, anything that can increase unnecessary costs of repair.

An important factor is after sales and costs. I'll only buy from a reputable dealer which will be a factor in the car I buy.
After sales costs such as your typical services, tyres and general wear and tear parts.
And of-course fuel-consumption.
Once I have a short list of say 4 vehicles, the cheapest in the above criteria will be my deciding vote.

So my advice would be to take a test-drive first then get your facts on some examples like I described.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

I will be test driving both, as mentioned. I keep thinking the Polo is cool and probably the better option, but I have a voice at the back of my head saying the Nissan is going to be really nice to drive.