Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: Polo Vivo 1.4 versus Nissan NP200

Post by GreyWolf »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Seven.... Don't believe the advertised mileages you get on fuel consumption. From the VW website they say you get a very nice combined cycle of 16.2km/l or rather 6.2l/100km... I drive a combined cycle every day to work and I got 12.36km/l which is not all that great for a 1400
:shock: I get 12.7 in my 4.4l V8!!!!!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

GreyWolf wrote:
RuadRauFlessa wrote:Seven.... Don't believe the advertised mileages you get on fuel consumption. From the VW website they say you get a very nice combined cycle of 16.2km/l or rather 6.2l/100km... I drive a combined cycle every day to work and I got 12.36km/l which is not all that great for a 1400
:shock: I get 12.7 in my 4.4l V8!!!!!
The best I got out of it was on my trip last year to George. Got a stint where I got 16.3 km/l but the average was still around 15.7 km/l for the whole trip. I still have the fuel stats on my phone.. fancy that.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Yeah I don't like VW engines-the small ones are under powered and high on petrol and the big ones cost too much.

I have a 2.2 Camry which does on average 9.5 to the 100 and get's much better than that cruising. Much Much better!
I can get to Gariep Dam really easily on 1.5 tanks of (90L) petrol at 120k cruising.

330i BMW does 9 or 10 to the 100 and the new ones do less than that.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
naughty

Post by naughty »

THE_STIG wrote:Then you are being ignorant.......
utter nonsense - he is being sensible - not everyone wants to buy a car for R120k and then spend R50k to fix it over the next 6 months - with a brand new car a warranty will sort out most issues without you having to pay for anything

with my last Polo the expenses for my brand new car purchased in 2007 over 4 years was as follows :

R850 each service - 4 services done
R2000 for brake pads
R1200 for windscreen wipers

and this was a Polo Gti which doesnt use standard normal oil but instead uses a special synthetic oil for the turbo - anything else was covered by the warranty

total up how much you have spent in the last 4 years without lying to yourself and you will see its a lot more - you would have spent to replace many many more parts and a big one will follow soon to redo your engine unless you sell it away to make it someone elses problem .... and thats exactly why most people sell their cars

at R120k for a merc or BMW or a JAG all you are getting is someone elses problem .... fullstop
but apparently VW is rather expensive when it comes to that
not really - as ive stated above i paid R850 per service and that included the synthetic oil for the turbo - apparently it goes up to R1500 when they have to replace the timing belt at 90000km's - it does become more expensive when you have to add other stuff into the service for example at 45000km's they charged me R1200 for the three windscreen wipers to be replaced and R2000 for the brakepads - so that one service period i did spend around R5k in total but its because all of those things happened at the same time

so its not more expensive than most other cars - i still have to find out what Nissan charges for their services - but i hope it isnt much more than VW considering that they have a far more simple engine with no turbo etc
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

naughty wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:Then you are being ignorant.......
utter nonsense - he is being sensible - not everyone wants to buy a car for R120k and then spend R50k to fix it over the next 6 months - with a brand new car a warranty will sort out most issues without you having to pay for anything

with my last Polo the expenses for my brand new car purchased in 2007 over 4 years was as follows :

R850 each service - 4 services done
R2000 for brake pads
R1200 for windscreen wipers

and this was a Polo Gti which doesnt use standard normal oil but instead uses a special synthetic oil for the turbo - anything else was covered by the warranty

total up how much you have spent in the last 4 years without lying to yourself and you will see its a lot more - you would have spent to replace many many more parts and a big one will follow soon to redo your engine unless you sell it away to make it someone elses problem .... and thats exactly why most people sell their cars

at R120k for a merc or BMW or a JAG all you are getting is someone elses problem .... fullstop
but apparently VW is rather expensive when it comes to that
not really - as ive stated above i paid R850 per service and that included the synthetic oil for the turbo - apparently it goes up to R1500 when they have to replace the timing belt at 90000km's - it does become more expensive when you have to add other stuff into the service for example at 45000km's they charged me R1200 for the three windscreen wipers to be replaced and R2000 for the brakepads - so that one service period i did spend around R5k in total but its because all of those things happened at the same time

so its not more expensive than most other cars - i still have to find out what Nissan charges for their services - but i hope it isnt much more than VW considering that they have a far more simple engine with no turbo etc
You got some cheap VW service there man. My gf recently paid about 3k for a service on her 2009 Jetta.

Also... R1200 for wipers??!?!?!?! :shock: That right there should tell you something.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
naughty

Post by naughty »

You got some cheap VW service there man. My gf recently paid about 3k for a service on her 2009 Jetta.

it probably depends on the mileage and whether its a major service - i never reached that 90000 km service so i have no idea what i would have paid - also depends on other things ie the brake pads and wipers etc are not part of the normal service and should be counted as extra's and not as part of the service fees - so in terms of that i never paid above R850 for the actual service and in the first two services i didnt even pay for any extra's at all - only in the 45000km service did i have to shell out more

Also... R1200 for wipers??!?!?!?! :shock: That right there should tell you something.

actually it was R300 per wiper and around R300 labor to fit all of those BUT yeah - that did seem excessive and i had decided that i would stick to aftermarket on those from then on but i hardly used those things thereafter ie i sold the car exactly on 61000km's - but its the value added stuff that seems excessive to me and the normal service seemed pretty reasonable compared to the horror stories you hear about Merc and BMW thats out of the service plan - one of my uncles had to pay R10k for the 110000km service on his renault scenic that just landed out of the service plan ie just over 5 years old - so i hope Nissan doesnt get like that considering Nissan and Renault have a relationship but hopefully i will be changing the Nissan before even half that mileage accrues ie im planning on now changing vehicle every three years

Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

So Blade.

When are you getting your car?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

doo_much wrote:So Blade.

When are you getting your car?
I have to make the final decision sometime this week, if I want it, probably. They'll have to order it and that could take 4+ weeks.

I did test drive the Hyundai i20 today. It's quite a bit more expensive at R157k. It's a really nice car though. Light years ahead of the Atos and Getz the other Hyundais I've seen. Still thinking about it. I have my reservations about Hyundai (not unfounded) and the price tag is a little steep for me. They're giving about R5k discount this month on it apparently, so it helps a bit. A decent deposit will bring the monthly payment down too.

Otherwise it's the Polo.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Pity you can't stretch that budget a little bit further to a Honda Jazz.
They're such great little cars even the peeps at Car Magazine seem to like them!

4 weeks to wait for a car is a bit tough if you're into instant gratification the way I am! Sterkte. ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
garp

Post by garp »

I had to wait like 2 months for my CrossPolo :( One peice of advice... Look around for insurance... My first quote was R3000 p/m! got it down to like R1200 I think it is now.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

CrossPolo
Why oh why?
Hyundai i20

That is such a great little car-good reviews and good looking plus owning a Hyndai is no longer frowned upon.
IX35 is quite nice too.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
naughty

Post by naughty »

to be honest i also like that Hyundai - they are improving all the time and between a Vivo and the i20 i would probably plump for the i20 instead despite the Korean underpinnings of the Hyundai
I had to wait like 2 months for my CrossPolo :( One peice of advice... Look around for insurance... My first quote was R3000 p/m! got it down to like R1200 I think it is now.
again i think i got lucky there too cos i was only paying R600 p/m + tracker fees of R100 p/m for the Polo Gti - but it was linked to the household insurance as well - the other quotes i was getting was also in the R1500+ p/m category
garp

Post by garp »

JollyJamma wrote:
CrossPolo
Why oh why?
I like it
naughty wrote:to be honest i also like that Hyundai - they are improving all the time and between a Vivo and the i20 i would probably plump for the i20 instead despite the Korean underpinnings of the Hyundai
again i think i got lucky there too cos i was only paying R600 p/m + tracker fees of R100 p/m for the Polo Gti - but it was linked to the household insurance as well - the other quotes i was getting was also in the R1500+ p/m category
Yeah its a pity age is against you when you're young.
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

The i20 is stretching my budget, but it's a nice car. If they can get a good interest rate for me I might consider it.

Insurance is outrageous. Outsurance can get me R856 a month, but with a R15k excess. Normally it would be 1.5k.

MiWay offered R959, but I have to fit a tracking device.

My dad offered to buy it for me... Then I repay him every month. That'll drastically lower the interest rate which would make the insurance more viable.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I drive my dads Camry. It's his. Insurance is R200 a month and I'm 24.