The choice ?? Which bike to get ??

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
KaosHunter

The choice ?? Which bike to get ??

Post by KaosHunter »

hey guys and possibly girls :)

Not sure how many younger guys or gals there are here but i have a decision to make between to very nice little 125 cc Motorbikes :

http://www.ralepi.com/wp-content/upload ... 88x516.jpg

or

http://free-motorcycle-wallpapers.com/w ... Photos.jpg

they both very sexy bikes but the difference is that the first on can be in my hands in one month and it has a A very fast 2 stroke engine
and the 2nd one will only be here in june/July and has a slower 4 stroke engine.

What do u guys think?
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.40 Ghz
6 GB Kingston Hyper X 1800 Mhz with cooling fan
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
2x MSI HD 5870 in CrossfireX
(HD 5870 Lightning & Standard HD 5870)
Zalman CNPS9900A LED
Cooler Master HAF 922
Seagate 1 TB
Samsung SyncMaster B2330 23'' Full HD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Re: The choice ??

Post by KillerByte »

4 stroke will be lighter on fuel. Do yourself a favour and wait.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
KaosHunter

Post by KaosHunter »

yes i do but a few of my friends have the newer 2 strokes and they not too bad with the fuel like the older models before 2000 but enjoyment wize , which wold i look at
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Zalman CNPS9900A LED
Cooler Master HAF 922
Seagate 1 TB
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Having never owned a bike I can't help you on that side but since its not a scrambler I would personally go for the four stroke.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Howzit mate. Allright. They are two COMPLETELY different bikes to be honest, even though they are both Aprilias.

The two-stroke sure is a better bike, but the newer models are heavily restricted and a lot of work is needed to unlock their full potential. If you do however derestrict them they are great fun to ride, an absolute blast. You should be able to get between 25 and 30hp out of them which will propel you to 160+. Plus, nothing beats the smell of good quality two-stroke in the morning.

The four stroke is a Derbi 4T dressed like an RSV4 as far as I was able to find out. Sure it's damn sexy, but it's not quick whatsoever. You're looking at 120kph max and it will take a while to get there. The engine only delivers 15hp and you won't get much more than that even if you dump tons of money into it. Plus, a four stroke single 125cc sounds horrible, even when you have a decent after market slip-on fitted.

Now, on to the pros and cons. The four-stroke will definitely be cheaper to run day to day as it uses less fuel than the two-stroke and you don't need to put oil either. If you decide on the two-stroke be sure to only fill up with fully synthetic two-stroke oil. Be prepared to spend R100+ per litre. Servicing a two-stroke is much cheaper and easier than a four stroke though and if something goes in the engine you'd much rather want a two-strokes as there are no bent valves to be replaced. On the other hand, the two-stroke will need a top-end rebuild every 10000km's or so consisting of a new piston, rings and bearings. Not that expensive, but it's something to consider.

As a riding machine the two-stroke will beat the four-stroke hands down, no doubt about it. I don't know if you're a new rider, but I'm assuming you are. I actually wouldn't suggest the two-stroke in that case. It may not have THAT much power, but you can easily be caught out. The four-stroke will be much easier to learn to ride on.

And if you're going for a four-stroke you might as well buy a CBR or R125 and save yourself a bunch of money, because I'm sure the RS4 is gonna be expensive as hell. I know I would much rather have the RS4 though as it just looks fantastic, but the R125 is quite a looker as well. Honda is bringing out a new CBR125 this year, I'm not too keen on the looks, but in terms of reliability there's nothing that can beat it. It will run for ever and work on petrol fumes.

If you've got any other questions feel free to ask and I'll try and help!
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Once I have some extra cash I am thinking of getting a 250cc CBR and then once I have learnt to ride I'll get a 450cc
KaosHunter

Post by KaosHunter »

thanx a lot Wik1d :D

I have been looking through my options and this is going to be my first bike that i own myself , so i am stall a newbie rider but i have had my fair share on 2 strokes and i have fallen in love with them( Driving friends cagiva mito, rs250 and 125cc) so yea i think in the end i want a fun 2 stroke as i am more looking for enjoyment rather than day to day use as i wont be using it for example everyday to get to school and bag ... just as entertainment and to get a go on track racing mabye :)

i did also consider the CBR 125 but they are SLOW period even being so reliably and i'm also not much a fan of the 2011 looks ..other than that i just really was a decision if i want to wait for like another 5 months for that very sexy rs4. i really just wanted to know if they fast or not compared to the rs 125 :) oh yea i know its going to hurt with the money but i really think its worth it

Thanx a lot Wik1d
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Zalman CNPS9900A LED
Cooler Master HAF 922
Seagate 1 TB
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

KillerByte wrote:Once I have some extra cash I am thinking of getting a 250cc CBR and then once I have learnt to ride I'll get a 450cc
Goodluck on getting a Honda CBR250 as I don't think it's coming here too soon and finding one of the old 18000rpm screamers in a good condition is neigh impossible.

Also, what 450? All 450 road bikes that I know of are supermotards.
KaosHunter wrote:thanx a lot Wik1d :D

I have been looking through my options and this is going to be my first bike that i own myself , so i am stall a newbie rider but i have had my fair share on 2 strokes and i have fallen in love with them( Driving friends cagiva mito, rs250 and 125cc) so yea i think in the end i want a fun 2 stroke as i am more looking for enjoyment rather than day to day use as i wont be using it for example everyday to get to school and bag ... just as entertainment and to get a go on track racing mabye :)

i did also consider the CBR 125 but they are SLOW period even being so reliably and i'm also not much a fan of the 2011 looks ..other than that i just really was a decision if i want to wait for like another 5 months for that very sexy rs4. i really just wanted to know if they fast or not compared to the rs 125 :) oh yea i know its going to hurt with the money but i really think its worth it

Thanx a lot Wik1d
Honestly, I'd much rather have the RS125 even if it's more expensive to run. The priller is more powerful than my Derbi and I loved that little scoot to bits.

No 4T 125 will ever be able to touch a two-stroke 125, ever.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

WiK1d what would you suggest for a first time bike owner who weighs 100Kgs and would like a bit of power.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Honestly, there isn't really something for that market at the moment. I don't know why, but there just isn't. Back in the late 80's and early 90's the whole world was booming with 400 4T's and 250 2T's, they just went away. Kawasaki bringing back the Ninja 250 is a good move as that has sparked Honda to build a 250 as well, but they aren't exactly powerful. And they are really expensive when new. And not very fast either. That RS125 that KaosHunter is considering will probably kick it in the balls with ease.

If you need to learn to ride buy something cheap to learn on a build confidence, like the Bajaj 180. Sure, it might be Indian but it's actually pretty decent. Then sell it and buy an older model 600 IL4 for R50K or less, or look into the commuter 600's like Yamaha Fazer 600, Kawasaki ER650 or Suzuki GS600. They will have plenty power, but it will be much smoother than a supersport 600 and won't do 260/270.

That's just my opinion.

Also, this goes for Kaos as well, invest in proper kit. A decent quality full-face helmet, a good pair of gloves and a riding jacket. Never ride with shorts and try wear shoes that will protect your ankles. Rather sweat than bleed!
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Kawasaki is bringing out the er4n. Whether we will see it is another question entirely.
Click

Actually, you know what. I see no reason why you can't begin on a 600cc. Yesterday we had a breakfast run with a couple of my other guys, and one of them was on a k7 GSX-R600. It's his first bike. Also, he's technically too damn short for it and had it lowered. And he's doing fine. And still alive and he's had his bike about a week longer than I've had my new 1000. So it's been a couple of months already.
RuadRauFlessa

Re: The choice ?? Which bike to get ??

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Please be more descriptive with thread names.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

I always say.

Start out where you want to. I don't give a rats azz what you choose. 125, 250, 600, 1000 or 1300. Hell even try the Boulevard.
Each person has his or own personal limit, so if that person thinks he will be fine on a bigger bike first time out, then so be it.

I ride a 650, but I don't ride it anywhere NEAR its full potential so buying with your "mine is bigger than yours" glasses on is dumb.
I can still do 230kph and I'm faster off the line than all the cars. Anything more is a waste for me.

Regarding the post.

It all depends what you are going to do with the bike.
It does not help you buy the 2-stroke and then commute with it. They are not made for that.

If you are going to ride it in the bush, buy the 2-stroke.
If you are planning on putting plenty km on it and commuting, but the 4-stroke.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

WiK1d wrote:
Also, this goes for Kaos as well, invest in proper kit. A decent quality full-face helmet, a good pair of gloves and a riding jacket. Never ride with shorts and try wear shoes that will protect your ankles. Rather sweat than bleed!
My uncle, who used to ride, had the perfect saying for this: dress for an accident. Then again he did have a Yamaha FJR 1300 and cruised at 260km/h all the way so dressing for an accident was a necessity, not an option.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

KillerByte wrote:
WiK1d wrote:
My uncle, who used to ride, had the perfect saying for this: dress for an accident. Then again he did have a Yamaha FJR 1300 and cruised at 260km/h all the way so dressing for an accident was a necessity, not an option.
IMHO, wearing the right gear (Jacket, boots, gloves, pants and helmet) is paramount to bike safety, but they only protect you against the abrasions of the tar. Hitting a car or tree or any solid object at those speeds, you might as well be wearing nothing.
senile

Post by senile »

A good bike for a 100Kg first timer might be a VFR400 or similar. I started out on a NSR250 which was insanely fast in the powerband range but just couldn't pull below that. A 400cc might overcome that problem, plus they're quite cheap.

O.k. and who calls a 650cc a commuter :evil: My so-called commuter can keep up with GSXR600's up to about 200kph. Commuter = 125cc
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

The problem with VFR's and the like is that they're old. Good condition ones are hard to find and parts becoming even more so. We've owned one. Trust me, it's not such a bright idea anymore. Though it is an awesome bike :)
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

senile wrote:O.k. and who calls a 650cc a commuter :evil: My so-called commuter can keep up with GSXR600's up to about 200kph. Commuter = 125cc
+1.

My 650 runs with the big boys in the twisties.
KaosHunter

Post by KaosHunter »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Please be more descriptive with thread names.
i never get it right but thanks for fixing it lol ( total of about 7 title changes lol)

WiK1d wrote:Honestly, I'd much rather have the RS125 even if it's more expensive to run. The priller is more powerful than my Derbi and I loved that little scoot to bits.
I Really do think the price is worth that bike unless you use it for day to day commuting which then its pointless. I thought the derbi was faster than the rs125 ??

As i have noticed there isn't many new 125cc or 250cc 2 strokers anymore(SportBike) on the market to choose from and the 4 strokers are really slow. the older aprilia 250 models are very fast for the size of those engines and they corners like a dream.. wish they stall made those ones. And another bike that me and my friends often debate about which is better is the Cagiva Mito. Which do you think is the faster one : Cagiva Mito Vs Rs 125??
WiK1d wrote:Also, this goes for Kaos as well, invest in proper kit. A decent quality full-face helmet, a good pair of gloves and a riding jacket. Never ride with shorts and try wear shoes that will protect your ankles. Rather sweat than bleed!

there is no price for a life , thanks man but i know and i will just have to bear the heat on hot SA days with the jacket and the gloves and long pants, i have already found out what sand does to your skin when i had an incident with a ktm 250 2 stroke offroad and no protection!!! Do not want to feel tar :shock: ... what shoes do u mean ??
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Zalman CNPS9900A LED
Cooler Master HAF 922
Seagate 1 TB
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

senile wrote:O.k. and who calls a 650cc a commuter :evil: My so-called commuter can keep up with GSXR600's up to about 200kph. Commuter = 125cc
It's a much more comfy bike to ride on a daily basis. You're sat rather upright and the engine is tuned to work easier in lower speed conditions without the need to rev the ( . Y . ) off it.

A 125cc isn't exactly the ideal commuter if you're doing 100km+ daily round trips is it?
IcePick88 wrote:
+1.

My 125 kicks their arses in the twisties, what's your point?
KaosHunter wrote:I Really do think the price is worth that bike unless you use it for day to day commuting which then its pointless. I thought the derbi was faster than the rs125 ??

And another bike that me and my friends often debate about which is better is the Cagiva Mito. Which do you think is the faster one : Cagiva Mito Vs Rs 125??
I used (and still use) my Derbi as a daily ride, not a single issue. And nope, the RS is definitely faster than the Derbi as when both are derestricted the RS will pump out more power.

Honestly, there's nothing between the Cagiva and the Aprilia. Mito fans will say it's faster and RS fans will say that's faster. They're pretty much equal. I know some Mito's did however come out for front Ohlins and Brembos, now that will make a difference on the track.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

WiK1d wrote:
IcePick88 wrote:
+1.

My 125 kicks their arses in the twisties, what's your point?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously? 125 vs say a (And I'm being modest here) a GSXR600 on the 22 and you are telling me you will be close to the other bike?

Give the GSXR a 100m and he'll be so far ahead, that even if you are better in the corners, he will still win. Bump that to a GSXR1000 and you will lose further!

Vids or I call BS.

Oh and my point is, I don't need a bigger bike than a 650.
sektor-05

Post by sektor-05 »

I would LOVE to see that 125cc take on a Yamaha R6 or GSXR600 in twisties, whatever twisties may be. It sounds dirty
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

IcePick88 wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously? 125 vs say a (And I'm being modest here) a GSXR600 on the 22 and you are telling me you will be close to the other bike?

Give the GSXR a 100m and he'll be so far ahead, that even if you are better in the corners, he will still win. Bump that to a GSXR1000 and you will lose further!

Vids or I call BS.

Oh and my point is, I don't need a bigger bike than a 650.
Maybe I should have said turns. How much straight, hard acceleration parts does the 22 have, quite a lot, so that's not a fair challenge.

This on the other hand, is twisty enough

KaosHunter

Post by KaosHunter »

125cc and the 250cc really do kick the 600s asses on the turns esp when u have somebody that knows how to drive ... my friend has a rs250 and he kicks the 600s bottom but then is pawned on the straights :P
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Zalman CNPS9900A LED
Cooler Master HAF 922
Seagate 1 TB
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

To come back to the original question:
WiK has pretty much covered everything in his first post.
You say you are thinking about track days and fun rather than having it as a commuting bike. The 2-stroke wins hands down. That 4-stroke on a track will be a yawn. It really will just not have enough grunt to be fun.
Both bikes look absolutely beautiful.

WiK - I'm seeing a lot of Honda VTR 1000 in the front-end of the RS4-125, don't you think?
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.