Formula 1 Thread

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
alliesmeister

Re: Formula 1 Thread

Post by alliesmeister »

Fascanating that piece about acceleration, Silverstone and the high rev's.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Screeper wrote:MotoGP still rocks! Anything with Valentino in it cannot be boring ;)

SBK is great though. Mind you the races at Kyalami were about of a procession. The 'cats had the legs on everything else on the track. Still i'm glad Nori won, he needs to win the world championship. Ben Spies looking very good for a rookie though.
Yeah, I still much prefer MotoGP to SBK... It's turning out to be a good battle this year between Rossi, Lorenzo and Stoner.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Um F1 thread not a pocket rocket/vibrator riding thread :P.

Anyway some good news, Mosley is not going for re-election this year and there will no break away series either :).

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/6/9551.html
FIA release WMSC statement

After a meeting of the World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Paris on Wednesday, Formula One racing’s governing body, the FIA, issued the following statement:

All currently competing teams have committed to the FIA Formula One World Championship.

There will be no alternative series or championship and the rules for 2010 onwards will be the 2009 regulations as well as further regulations agreed prior to 29 April 2009.

As part of this agreement, the teams will, within two years, reduce the costs of competing in the championship to the level of the early 1990s. The manufacturer teams have agreed to assist the new entries for 2010 by providing technical assistance.

The manufacturer teams have further agreed to the permanent and continuing role of the FIA as the sport’s governing body. They have also committed to the commercial arrangements for the FIA Formula One World Championship until 2012 and have agreed to renegotiate and extend this contract before the end of that period.

All teams will adhere to an upgraded version of the governance provisions of the 1998 Concorde Agreement.

The following teams have been accepted for the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship.

TEAM / CONSTRUCTOR
SCUDERIA FERRARI MARLBORO / FERRARI
VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES / McLAREN MERCEDES
BMW SAUBER F1 TEAM / BMW SAUBER
RENAULT F1 TEAM / RENAULT
PANASONIC TOYOTA RACING / TOYOTA
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO / STR TBA
RED BULL RACING / RBR TBA
AT&T WILLIAMS / WILLIAMS TOYOTA
FORCE INDIA F1 TEAM / FORCE INDIA MERCEDES
BRAWN GP FORMULA ONE TEAM / BRAWN TBA
CAMPOS META TEAM / CAMPOS COSWORTH
MANOR GRAND PRIX / MANOR COSWORTH
TEAM US F1 / TEAM US F1 COSWORTH

In view of this new agreement and with the prospect of a stable future for Formula One, FIA President Max Mosley has confirmed his decision not to stand for re-election in October this year.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

You know im honestly not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it was inevitable, last i saw Mosely was being "i don't know if i want to resign" etc now which well dammit that just confuses things.

You'd think he'd welcome retirement and enjoy the company of lovely German ladies and some good ol leather whips, who among us cant agree? ... anyone? ... oh

Honestly formula 1 has really gotten funny lately, the drama is as amazing as the racing used to be... wait.
I'm sorry but ever since they went to these new tracks and rubbished the old ones its just not the same, i mean guess where this is:

Spoiler (show)
Hockenheim
Its still my favourite sport and ill watch it no matter what and this year has been pretty interesting but not so much because of racing but as to seeing everything turned on its head, the racing itself is pretty much the same.
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

The piece of whatever (tube or spring) that hit Felipe Massa at the end of 2nd Qauli. Thank you PVR.

No idea how to get the file off the HD PVR so I took a snap with a camera phone...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Yoh, should the Brazilians take all their bad luck in F1 as a sign?
senile

Post by senile »

It's great to see Schumacher back in action. And who else noticed the strange photo montage on the Red Bull racing cars? http://motorsportpress.files.wordpress. ... k-bgp1.jpg
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

bookface friends?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

I'm proud to say somewhere on both those cars my face was on it :P. But ummm.... we have a thread for the 2012 season over here...

http://forums.pcformat.co.za/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=40462
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

So I came by this last night. Mercedes's clever Formula 1 turbo setup, explained.
Road & Track wrote:Whereas Renault and Ferrari are using traditional turbochargers under the new 2014 engine regulations, Mercedes has gone its own way with a new design that divorces the compressor and turbine components: the former sits at the front of the engine while the latter hangs off the rear, with a shaft running through the engine to connect the two.
I love these little moments in history when someone thinks a little outside the box and with a simple idea, opens up a floodgate of new advantages to a seemingly mature technology.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

GreyWolf wrote:I love these little moments in history when someone thinks a little outside the box and with a simple idea, opens up a floodgate of new advantages to a seemingly mature technology.
The idea has been there, just Mercedes' brilliant engineers have succeeded in implementing the idea. Beautifully might I add :-) Let's all give them a hug for advancing the art of motorsport that little bit further.

(I'm trying to say something skillfully about art and technology and the engineers' hard work and brilliance but words seemed to have failed me, turning out what seems to me a mediocre result. I'm busy at work right now with this distracting me, shush.)
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Furion
Location: in the last vestiges of sanity that my mind provides

Post by Furion »

And so I eagerly await the start of the new season...
Give me a place to stand, and i shall move the earth.

Credits:
2567 forum points. (thanks to a special feline Tribble)
Firestrm for being my resident nut (Gracias Senor)
Badguy for the great sig.