ultimate motorbikes

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SykomantiS

Re: ultimate motorbikes

Post by SykomantiS »

Right, so anyone know of a reputable tuner in/near Pretoria that can remap the fuel maps- and also remove silly stuff like timing retarding and top speed limiters :?:

I've also heard rumours saying the GSX-R stock ecu supports quick-shifting functionality, though one has to add the functions to this manually. Any truth to this or wishful thinking?

:D
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I have no idea. I guess searching the interwebs might reveal info on the mods.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
senile

Post by senile »

So can anyone tell me the difference between a racing rear shock and standard shock, apart from the fact that you need a racing license to buy the former?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

A license? Says who? :eyebrow:
I'm not technically clued up- but I gather the difference would be a lot along the lines of the difference between a stock and racing suspension setup on a car. :P
Damping and compression rates, rebound rates, all those would change. Often times, racing shocks are fully adjustable for high and low speed compression and rebound damping sag, etc. while some stockers aren't adjustable at all, or only ha adjustment for sag and so forth.

Also, build quality and the quality of materials used or usually higher for racing/after market units.
senile

Post by senile »

That was my thoughts exactly, but apparently a race classified shock may not be bought without a racing license because they are unfit for road use :? at least, that's according to the supplier that I will not mention.

I will just try another supplier and see what they have to say about it...
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

That pipe looks hot! A bit too long for my liking, but still hot.

I've heard the Dyno guys at Redstar Raceway are pretty good, and reasonably priced. It's not in Pretoria, but worth a shot.
senile wrote:So can anyone tell me the difference between a racing rear shock and standard shock, apart from the fact that you need a racing license to buy the former?
Pretty much just the build quality and range of adjustment.

What Syko said is spot on. But beware, some shocks are too adjustable. Most aftermarket shocks are also built to suit your weight and riding style, while stock shocks are made for fat people. I'm actually possibly buying an Elka Stage 4 shock for my Triumph now.

What are you looking at buying? Also, name and shame. That's a load of crock, you don't need a race license to buy one. You can also just give them my MSA number and be done with it :P
senile

Post by senile »

I want this just because the colors are nice :lol: (and the stock suspension is :pukeright: )

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Well, senile, I'll take a pic of the left-side of the TRC can, it says
For closed course competition use only
Or something like that, and I don't have a racing license. So ya, name and shame- they're trying to take you for a ride prolly.

@Wik: the pipe is maybe 15cm longer than the stocker, but less than half the width (or should that be height?) It looks huge in the pic, but it's not really.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

senile wrote:I want this just because the colors are nice :lol: (and the stock suspension is :pukeright: )
Oh yeah! Those Bitubo shocks are HOT, as are the fork inserts

Here's what I'm getting:

Elka Triple-clicker. Scored it on eBay for quite a bargain, considering it's a $1200 shock

I can understand the "for competition use" or "not for road use" clauses, but really, who's going to check you up?
SykomantiS wrote:@Wik: the pipe is maybe 15cm longer than the stocker, but less than half the width (or should that be height?) It looks huge in the pic, but it's not really.
Oh yeah, in terms of fatness it's definitely much better. I guess I've just gotten used to shorter cans.

Kinda like this length

senile

Post by senile »

@WiK1d
How much will the import customs be for that shock, do they calculate it based on weight or $ value?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

senile wrote:@WiK1d
How much will the import customs be for that shock, do they calculate it based on weight or $ value?
It's somewhere between 14% and 15.4%, by value. I'm getting my guy to declare it for much less than it's worth and mark it as Warranty Replacement Parts, so I'm hoping I won't get nailed.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

The Light Cycle

http://www.hammacher.com wrote:This is the illuminated, street-legal motorcycle inspired by the computer animated cycle from the 2010 film Tron: Legacy. Designed for casual cruising and slow ride-bys at shows, it is made from a steel frame covered by a fiberglass cowling that replicates the sleek look of its computer-generated imagery counterpart. Electroluminescent strips built into the tire cowlings, wheel rims, and body illuminate the cycle. It is powered by a fuel-injected Suzuki 996cc, 4-stroke engine. Riders lay at a near-horizontal position astride the padded leather seat, with feet on foot pegs that control its 6-speed constant mesh manual transmission and hands on the handlebars for throttle and braking. The hubless wheels are former truck tires built up then custom-shaped to fit onto one of two counter-rotating rims spinning within each other, providing the broad-tired authenticity of the computer cycles from the movie. A chain-driven friction drum manages acceleration and braking from the handlebars. It has spring-loaded front and rigid rear suspension. Its wet sump lubrication system eliminates tubes and hoses for oil pick-up, facilitating its streamlined, minimalist design. It uses a 3 1/2-gallon main fuel tank and 1 1/4-gallon reserve tank. All cycles are built to order. 8 1/2' L x 23 1/4" W x 28 1/2" H. (474 lbs.)
Price: $55,000
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

The fuelling on that thing sounds MAJOR off, and it looks unbelievably uncomfortable
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

The fuelling :?:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

SykomantiS wrote:The fuelling :?:
The fuelling. Watch the video on the website. Where they are riding at night, sounds like it's spluttering big time.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Oh, the vid- will do so when I have some more time.
Hman

Post by Hman »

New back tire fitted, here it is on the rim before I left work.

20111116_007.jpg by HmanSA, on Flickr

Took her out for a little spin and....

Hman

Post by Hman »

BTW, it's a 160/60 18 Michellin Pilot Road 3

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Cool stuff, heard good things about the PR3's!
Hman

Post by Hman »

Yeah, I did a lot of reading before I bought the tyre. I trust that it'll give me good service.

WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

GOT IT GOT IT GOT IT!

And I'm going racing tomorrow. And for the first time ever my mum is going to be a spectator, damn this is going to be an epic weekend!
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

This weekend is just getting better and better! They just showed our race on TV and I got massive air time. Whoohoo!
Hman

Post by Hman »

Nice man!

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Awesome mate! :thumbup:
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

RSR Race Report 26/11

So, this weekend has probably been the best weekend of the year!

1) Was going racing
2) Got my Elka Triple Clicker Shock
3) Got massive air time on 2Wheels on TV as coverage of the Northern Regions Regional Racing Programme last October
4) My mum and good friend Irene were coming along to spectate for the first time ever.

That's just how it started, how could it get any better?

The Friday night was pretty terrible though, got very little sleep due to nerves and the annoying cats of the neighbourhood, as well as our little cat, who somehow knows when I have to get in a good night's sleep, and then comes and bothers me through-out the night. Oh well, can't really do anything about that and I got up at 6am, showered, drank coffee, brushed my teeth, hooked up the trailer and off we went.

The trip to Delmas went really well, we made good time as I was worried about still entering and getting through scrutineering and most importantly, getting my tyres on warmers for qualifying. Weather looked great when we left home, but as we started nearing the track it got really dark and I was getting a bit worried, but seems it was just some mist clouds rolling trough. Unfortunately the whole Delmas area experienced a massive power failure and only the very few people who brought gennies along were able to run warmers. Offloaded all my stuff, parked the bike in the pits and went to enter. Quick and simple process, but I was shifted to another class as I was told it's the "slower" class and I'll stand a good chance of a podium there. I was like, okay then.

Next up, qualifying. I was barely awake still, it was early, and cool, I got cramps, overall I didn't feel too great during the short 10 minute session, but I managed to bang in two 2m12.3 and 2m12.4 laps as my hot laps, not too bad, but I didn't feel great. After QP it was Rider's Briefing in which four guys, myself included were told we seemed a bit slow for the class and should move to the other class (the one I was going to enter in to start with). So somewhere someone got me confused or himself confused about which class is which and what not, but anyways, I moved over and that put me in P6 from 13 for the start of race 1. Excellent stuff! I knew I was able to drop my times a bit and comparing the times of the guys in front, I thought I stood a pretty decent chance of running in the top 5. Like an idiot I forgot to start my GoPro for qualifying, not a massive loss though..

On to race 1. Starting on the 2nd row was a new experience for me and I was extremely nervous. Obviously it was going to be a flag start as due to the power failure, but at least I could see the flag this time. They gave us two warm-up laps as pretty much no-one had the ability to run warmers. I went round at a decent pace and did some hard braking to get that up to temperature as well. Lined up in P6 and waited. Heard the whistle, clicked in to first, watched the 1min board, 30s board, 5s board and revved it up to about 8K. Flag up, flag down, race on! I got a fantastic start and was making my way past P3 when suddenly the guy in front of me flipped his bike, I slammed on the brakes, saw he was falling to the right, I went left, got on the gas again hard, 2nd gear, small wheelie, down to T1. As my luck would have it I slotted in to P3 after the first turn. Now I knew my chances were really good for a podium as it was my 3rd place to lose. I was the only quick 600cc in the front pack, the rest were all thousands so I knew it was inevitable that someone was going to get past me. 2nd place pulled away in the early stages of the race, but lap by lap I managed to pull him back. On the end of lap 3 I think the 3rd place starter blasted past me on the straight and I was demoted to 4th, now I was angry. I knew I was able to get past the now 3rd place guy to re-claim a podium, but the 1000's just have that little edge out of the corners. Gave it a little while and the dive-bombed him into turn 4 and made sure I got on the gas hard out of 5 and held it tight for 6. Then came the flip flop section and I left him for dead, excellent. I was able to close back in on 2nd place and stick with him a while, until on lap 6 another 1000 just sailed past me on the back straight again. Now I was pissed off. I was cussing in my helmet so loudly I'm pretty sure the people in pit-lane heard me. The next lap 2nd place had a massive moment running off track on the exit of 3. I thought, oh great, now another person is going to crash in front of me. Luckily he managed to save that one, well done dude! But I was like, stuff that, 3rd place is mine again! Thought I was going to have to settle for 3rd, but no! 2nd place managed to out-brake himself on the last corner of lap 7 and ran off track. Up to 2nd place I was. Now it was head down, bottom up big time. After turn 3 I realised I should probably ride defensively as I had no idea if anyone was behind me. I couldn't hear anything, but you never know. Exiting out of the 2nd last turn on to the back straight I just had a little peek behind and saw no-one, wew, now I knew I didn't have to push too hard into the last turn. Coasted through and got the checkered flag for 2nd place. What an amazing race! The best part for me was the consistency. The 7 flying laps were 3 low 11's, and then 4 scattered 10's. That felt good.

Now there was a decent break before the next race so I got a bite to eat, hydrated and sat around a bit. For the 2nd race they took your finishing position in race 1 for your grid, so I started in 2nd, not 6th as I thought. Now I was nervous like never before!

As before, two warmup laps and then you grid. I had a clean line towards the first turn, it was all in my hands now. Once again got it up to 8K, watched the flag go up, when it dropped I shot of like a rocket, apparently even the commentator was shocked and shouted something over the PA system, haha. I felt I was in a little wheelie that wouldn't go down so I rolled off a little bit, hooked 2nd and was still in the lead when just as I was about to brake the first of the litre bikes muscled his way through on the inside, I had no-where to go and had to give up the space, but I was back on-it in a flash.

Stuck on his bottom for a while but just couldn't get by him as he gapped me on the straights and I couldn't make it up on the brakes. Then came the pole man with no effort past both of us. Then came the guy who flipped in the first race and passed me and also got stuck behind P2 for a while. He got past with ease and then I was stuck again. I tried everything and I knew he was slowing me down. At one point I dive-bombed him into T2 and made the past, but stuffed up in 3 when I accidentally twisted the throttle a bit on entry and pushed the bike very wide and almost crashed and he just came past again. Now I had to make up that ground again. Then again came another 1000 past me on the back straight and I could do nothing about it. He got past P3 and our little battle for 4th resumed. I was chasing hard, trying everything I can to get by but I just couldn't. I was stuck in 5th, with which I was quite happy, until on the last bloody lap another 1000 soared past me into the last corner. I braked as hard as I could, but I just couldn't hold it and had to give the place away and I didn't stand a chance in the drag race to the line. I was bitterly disappointed to finish 6th and I shook my head in disbelief as I crossed the line to get the flag. My times were evidence that I was stuck behind that guy as I only managed one lap in the 10's and the rest were very inconsistent. Once again, like the total idiot I am, I forgot to start the GoPro, I was SO SO disappointed as that start was just flipping fantastic!

Pulled in to the pits and congratulated the guy pitted next to me on his 2nd place finish after his disaster of a first race. However, in race 1 he picked the bike up and still managed to finish in 5th place. That meant he secured 2nd overall for the day, and I did some math, I came 2nd and 6th, so wait... waaaaaaiiiiit. Ran up to race control, lo-and-behold, 3rd overall for the day. Hell yes! I was very chuffed with that!

Loaded up all my kit and the bike again (which sucks, nothing sucks more than loading after a day at the track). Then it was prize giving, whoo! AJ Venter who races BSS in the UK was there to present the trophies, quite cool and I got my third place trophy and a bouquet of flowers for mum.

Hopefully that is just the first of many!

Roll on 2012, it's going to be a cracker!