Next Reader Reviews?

Any reviews that the G3AR team publishes will go in here.
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Next Reader Reviews?

Post by Synkronos »

Yo Tamsin :) When are you looking for more reviews by? I'm busy playing Sacred at the moment, really cool game, and I'll be looking to do a reader review for it :P
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

And I wanna do a Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow review :P

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

Well, yes, you guys read my mind - how Force-like!

We are still doing reader reviews but there has been a rather wonderful change. Now we are choosing only ONE review a month out of all the submissions available and that person will win an awesome prize courtesy of Microsoft.

The June issue already has a winner for a great FarCry review and he won all sorts of cool stuff from Microsoft. Now you can start sending your reviews for the July issue of PCF to see if you stand a chance.

Remember - the more opinionated, analytical and accurate the review, the better your chances :)
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

8O
Woohooooooo!!!!!!!!!
*gets writing*
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I got an Idea. How about I quickly write a game and ask you ppl to put it on the cover and then do a review of it myself. :D
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

Do we still have the 200 word limit?

Intel Core i7-950 | MSI X58 Pro-E, STK1366 | Geforce GTX470 1280 | 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM | Samsung 226BW Monitor | Windows 7 Home Premium
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

better make sure you review MS games - i have a feeling that might sway their opinion in a tight decision !!
8)
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
halo

Post by halo »

hi only1, i had a 200-300 word limit when i wrote mine.... :wink:
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

halo wrote:hi only1, i had a 200-300 word limit when i wrote mine.... :wink:
So did I when I wrote both of mine... but the rules were bent a little for my KOTOR review.

bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Does it have to be a game review ?
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

Yes, it has to be a game review
bb_matt

Post by bb_matt »

Oh how sad.

I was going to do a review of Mandrake 10 - sniff.

I'm sure 'prizes from microsoft' would've loved that one had it won !

C'mon Tamsini - Penguin Power !
Slasher

Post by Slasher »

How old may this game be, and may we do reviews of games that have been done?? {eg, Worms3d as I STRONLGY disagree with the peep that wrote it... }
My BF2142 Stats:

Slasher : Former member of www.PCFormat.co.za
I have reached the end of my near 5 year forum life. Farewell good days...

slasher (at) webmail (dot) co (dot) za
halo

Post by halo »

{this is my 300 post wow it took awhile... 8O }

i think that you have a better chance if you review something new. i did the farcry review cause i thought the pcf review was a bit off ( but only later, after writting it did i find out it was a type-o) and i got picked. i think if you redo the worms3d its doing to be hard to get it on cause in the same issue they had the reader review and their review of the game... i dont know you can always try... :wink:
OnlyOneKenobi
Moderator Emeritus

Post by OnlyOneKenobi »

When is the deadline for these reviews?

Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

The deadline is not really a problem for you as I will pick one a month but if you want to be in the July issue then I will need it by Friday next week :D
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Heh :) I will get you a Sacred review by then, Tamsini!
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

one question:
is it ok if we submit reviews for older games? eg halo/splinter cell
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Eh, seems I lied about the Sacred review :P Missed the cutoff date, I decided that I wanted to play further into the game and with more characters before I could give a full review. Am busy collecting screenshots already tho, so I can select the best ones :P
Tamsini

Post by Tamsini »

Hi Guys

Synkronos you can still make it if you can get it to me by tomorrow as the reviews I have had submitted so far do not really blow me away enough to award the prize.

If anyone else can get me a review in time then you will also be in the running!
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Ooo! I'll do a write-up tonight and see if I am happy with it. If I am, I'll grab a bunch more screen shots (still need some combat in action shots :P) and bring it tomorrow.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Unreal Tournament 2004

Lets face it, the FPS LAN genre has reached an evolutionary dead end. I mean, apart from improving graphics, adding weapons and new arenas and match types, what new innovations in the past 3 years have really added anything to the core game play of games like Unreal Tournament?

Enter Unreal Tournament 2004, a game which addresses an aspect of the genre that up till now has been sorely lacking, namely the single player element. UT2004 takes the still born single player mode of its predecessors and works it for all its worth. UT2004 finally puts the “tournament “ in …err… um… “Unreal Tournament”.

First and foremost you now have complete control of the make up of your team. Hire and fire them at will. Also, if they get hurt in a match, you have to spend bucks to heal them. “What’s that?” you say, “money, in UT?”. Yes that’s right ladies and gents, money plays a pivotal role here. You need it to enter matches, hire team mates, and make bets too! You gain cash by winning, so you better be good, or you will soon find your bank balance dropping to zero, and having to go back and play earlier, cheaper matches to get back up.

Yes indeed, finally after 3 years of evolution of the FPS LAN genre, finally there is one that you can take home, play with by yourself, and actually have some real fun with!

But maybe you are the kind of person who liked the way things were, and all you wanted was better graphics, more arenas weapons and match types. Have no fear, because UT2004 caters for you too. The graphics have indeed improved, they would have to in order to cater for the HUGE new arenas. You see these arenas need to be big so that you can drive your tank around them. No, you are not dreaming I did say “tank”. UT2004 introduces vehicles (tanks, jeeps, jets and others) to this genre. And there are more weapons too, including I am glad to say the old favorite, the sniper rifle!

So what have we got here? A new FPS LAN game, that features an involving single player mode, more match types, more weapons, vehicles, a mass of new playing fields and a sniper rifle! Sounds to me like the ultimate FPS LAN game! Only question is: “Where do we go from here?”

Score: 94%

Dislikes: The game menu graphics are really shoddy.

Splinter Cell

You have to feel sorry for your average low level thug. I mean here is an innocent man (well almost), minding his own business, guarding his uber-evil, world-conquering boss. His job entails repeatedly going back and forward along the same patrol route, smoking his cigarettes, wondering what he did in a previous life to deserve this existence of utter obscurity and boredom, where the highlight of an average night is a stray cat turning over some garbage cans.

Yes it is a pretty sad life indeed. Thankfully there is now a man out there who's mission it has become to help these lost souls, to put them out of their misery, some would say.

Or just put them out, period.

Sam Fisher is his name, secret agent for the NSA, and in Splinter Cell you get to play the roll of Mr.Fisher (surprise, surprise). Now its not all going around incapacitating low-lifes, laughing manically. No my dear friends, in this game, the whole point is stealth, and I mean stealth with a capital “DON’T YOU DARE BE DETECTED!”. In fact in some missions, you are not allowed to kill (imagine that) at all. Yes indeed, in this game shadows are tantamount to lovers, and running across wooden floors is punishable by death (seriously). Furthermore you do not strut about with an arsenal in your back pocket, and lock picking and computer hacking are common events.

This may all seem tedious to some, but in fact makes this one of the most suspenseful games I have ever played. Between missions, you are egged on by a very involving story line which is presented as news footage, very original I thought.

From a technical point of view, the levels are well designed, the graphics excellent, the sound effects and music are atmospheric, and the voice acting is excellent.

What’s left to say, but go out and buy it!

Score: 90%

Likes: ummm... all of it! Especially the voice of Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher!
Dislikes: err…nothing really

Vuk Miler
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
goku

Post by goku »

Nice Greywolf :lol:
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Greywolf: You need screen caps too
Synkronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Synkronos »

Hey Tamsin, did you get my Sacred email? Sent it off to you this morning.