The walking Dead (Review)

Any reviews that the G3AR team publishes will go in here.
larch

The walking Dead (Review)

Post by larch »

This isn't a PC review or Game review but I thought i would just share it with u guys. If it breaks any rules just zap the thread.

About:

The walking Dead is a monthly black and white comic published by Image Comics. Its better-known series include Spawn, Pitt, The Savage Dragon, Shadowhawk, Youngblood, Supreme, WildC.A.T.s, Gen¹³, Wetworks, Cyberforce, Witchblade, The Darkness, Invincible, the third volume of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and The Walking Dead.

The comic was created by writer Robert Kirkman (Invincible, and Marvel Comics' Marvel Zombies miniseries.) And artist Tony Moore (Worked on titles such as The Walking Dead, Fear Agent, and The Exterminators.) He was later replaced by Charlie Adlard from issue #7 onward. (Best known in Britain for his work on White Death, and 2000 AD series including Judge Dredd, Savage and Armitage.)

There has currently 42 issues been released in the series so far. Creator Robert Kirkman, expressing frustration that zombie films always had a clear "end", wanted the series to be a continuing chronicle of the long-term effects after a "zombie apocalypse", showing the changes to both the world and the characters.

Synopsis:

The main character of the story is Rick Grimes, a police officer who winds up getting shot in the line of duty. He goes into a coma and when he awakes, he finds that everything has changed. Wanting to find his wife Lori and son Carl, Rick ventures out into the strange new world and heads to Atlanta, hoping that she went to stay with her family.

Rick finds his wife Lori and their son Carl safe and unharmed.

They are camped outside of Atlanta with Rick’s partner Shane and a handful of other survivors. The city of Atlanta is piled with the dead and undead, leaving very few survivors. Those that are brave enough venture into the city, skirting the rooftops and finding ways into stores, scrounging what they can. One false step meaning death.

No one is safe, and many people from the original group die, both to zombies and to other humans. As the pressure grows and the group continues to struggle to survive, their personalities change, some for the better, but most for the worst. As the small band of survivors continue to see death and decay all around them, many go inside themselves, shutting down from the outside world. Others seek solace in those around them when they lose loved ones. Paranoia sets in. The true story of The Walking Dead is how humanity continues to fight to live even after all hope is lost.

Review:

I love my Zombie stories but it seems of late Hollywood has the knack of taking a nice zombie concept and just screwing it up from the get go, Resident Evil would be one of them. But now and again u get a really awesome movie like “Shawn Of The Dead” and "28 days later" but that’s only once in a blue moon.

That’s why I really enjoyed “The Walking Dead” it borrows many of its concepts from George A. Romero's zombie movies (Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead). Also the comic’s opening pages reminded me a lot of “The Day Of the Triffids”. Which was also used at the beginning of Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later.

My only gripe with “The Walking Dead” is that there are no color pages all of them are rendered in black & white, while only the cover is in color and mostly red and nothing more a bit on the bland side and might not catch the attention of potential readers. It would have been nice to see one or 2 pages in color but that’s just me.

Side notes:

As of July 2007, McFarlane Toys has announced that they will be producing a line of action figures for The Walking Dead. Line-ups and other information is not yet known.