Tribble's Scribbles

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Tribble's Scribbles

Post by Tribble »

Well - "it is about time" - commented some of my friends. Ever since I was an innocent teenager, I have had this story within me. It is not good, it is not great - but it has to be told. So I am going to post a bit of it here.

Read it and crit it. No point me loving it if the world hates it. I am tough - I can take it. And besides - it is my first time.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cara looked towards what should be the other side and thought to herself “Does this really end?” It seemed unlikely. The soft white sand stretched before her. A tiny tongue licked her foot and brought her attention back to the present.

She looked down and smiled at the ball of fur. Yukshi could barely contain his excitement. The little chap bounced as though his paws were fitted with springs. His white fur was almost as white as the sand that stretched before them. Almost… Not quite. Cara thought that she had never seen anything that white. His little dark eyes looked pleadingly at her. He wanted to feel the soft sand on his little paws and couldn’t understand her hesitation.

“Ok, let’s go” said Cara rather shakily. She placed her foot on the sand. It felt solid enough but she had been warned not to trust her eyes. Looking over her shoulder, she could still see the hill and the little stream where they had spent the night. She longed for the certainty she had felt while listening to the water bubble over the pebbles. She knew that each step would take her further away from the safety of home and a reality she knew and trusted.

The yelp from Yukshi brought her crashing back to the present. She turned and stared, expecting the worst. It took a few seconds for her to locate his white fur on the even whiter sand. It had not been a yelp of pain or fear, but one of joy. The little dog was rolling and tumbling in the silky soft sand.

Cara’s long blonde hair moved gently in the breeze and she smiled. It had been a long time since she had seen him this happy. She almost felt as though he knew where they were going – well not really where, as she didn’t even know that herself. But she felt he knew why. He missed Martin too, and she felt he knew that they would see him again soon.

She took a few more steps and could feel her fears and concerns and uncertainty fade with each step. She felt light. The immense sorrow she had felt seemed to slip away.

A strange sound escaped her lips. It sounded foreign and startled her. It happened again! It was laughter! Had it really been so long? Had she forgotten the sound? She laughed again and felt a smile on her face. The face that had resigned itself to the overwhelming sorrow she had made her own. She was no longer walking either, but skipping, now running.

The soft sand seemed to flow under her feet. She called to Yukshi and he bounded towards her. He looked as though he would burst with joy. Together they rolled around in the sand, laughing and yelping. This was the freest she had ever felt.

“Oh Yukshi, why are we so happy? I love this place! I never want to leave.” As those last words left her mouth, she sat up straight. “What?!” Why one earth would she say that? “What are we doing?” she asked. She sat dumbfounded in the sand. She felt no sadness. Her ever-companion was gone. She felt light inside, happy. She liked this feeling. “Is it possible? Can this be real?”

Could those months of pain, of sadness, really be gone? She looked at her little dog languishing blissfully in the sand. She had not seen him this happy in ages. Surely this was better. Looking around, all she could see was sand. Which direction had they come from? Why was the sun so low in the sky? Surely it had only been a few minutes since they stepped onto the sand.

Slowly the feelings of joy began to morph into something else. Something sinister. Icy tendrils wrapped themselves around her insides. She felt them slither through her. With each breath they grew tighter. Their hold on her was unbearable. Yukshi seemed blissfully unaware of this change in her and was searching for the errant flea that bothered him periodically.

Why had her happiness left her? What was wrong with this place? Why did she want to stay here so badly – no actually – need to stay here? A tiny voice, deep within her, whispered. She tried to make out the words. They were muffled, as though something was choking them. They came again, this time more determined to be heard. She listened but they made no sense. “…….forgetful…..” is all she understood. She listened harder, but there was silence. She heard only the waves breaking along the beach. “Waves!” she shouted. Yukshi jumped to attention. “We are on the first beach!” She sprang to her feet. Now what had the old man told her?
“The first beach – watch out – the sands of forgetfulness” or something like that. She never really listened well. “Come pup, we must go.” Yukshi looked at her with what she imagined was confusion. “I know, it is wonderful to have forgotten the sadness, but we need that sadness. We must finish what we started.”

The little dog looked wistfully at the sand and seemed to sigh. Surely not, he was just a dog. How could he possibly understand? He stood beside her and his eyes seems to say “Well, which way?”
Cara looked around – very good question she thought. Noticing her footprints in the sand, she turned towards the sunset and determinedly said “That way.” They started off towards the golden orb, which had already begun to turn orange.

They walked in silence, both enjoying the memory of how it felt to be without the sadness. Cara really hoped that they weren’t making a big mistake.
The soft white sand come to an abrupt end. It just stopped, without warning. Cara stopped too, as did Yukshi. They were reluctant to step onto the next beach. There were 5, this was no. 2. What could she remember about this one?

She looked down at the perfectly spherical pebbles, or were they stones? She wondered what the difference was. What made a pebble a pebble instead of a stone? “Stop delaying” she chided herself. “Pebbles are probably found near water” her brain answered. Why did it always need to do that – answer her questions? She sighed and took the first step. The pebbles shifted beneath her feet and made a crunching sound. Yukshi looked at her as if to say “I am not walking on that!” “Come on boy.” She tried to lighten her voice but the sadness had already returned. He seemed to shake his head and sat down. “Darnit dog! You are the most stubborn of all the dogs.” She scooped him up.

Walking on the stones was not as easy as on the sand, nor as much fun. Each foot shifted the stones and she was scared she would slip. It was like walking on oversized marbles.

Yukshi wasn’t making things any easier either. The flea had returned and was somewhere on his paw. He kept trying to nip it. His movement reminded her of a bobble-head – one that would not stop bobbing.
“Stop it now!” she said in exasperation. “Stop moving or I will put you down.” He licked her nose. He knew how much she hated that but enjoyed her reaction immensely. She squealed. He tried it again but she managed to dodge just in time. She grabbed his snoot with her free hand and trapped his little pink tongue inside his mouth. He squirmed. Angrily she put him down. She glared at him.

“If you are going to be so silly, you can walk on your own feet. I am tired of carrying you anyway.”
Yukshi glared back at her. This was her “other” side. He did not like this side. Her voice became shrill and hurt his ears. Her usually pretty face was contorted into a much sterner, and much uglier, one. Why had he agreed to come with her? He wasn’t going to take a step further until she apologised. His inner voice chided him that he was actually yet to take a step, but he dismissed it quickly.

He sat with his little bum planted firmly on the pebbles. Cara pushed him with her foot and he nearly lost his balance. He snapped at her, and instantly regretted it. What was happening to them? He loved her more than life itself. Were it not for her, he would not have survived puppyhood. Why was this beach so much harder than the last?

Cara collapsed in tears. It was the first time ever that Yukshi had snapped at her. How could she be so cruel and unkind? She wrapped her arms around him and her tears fell onto his soft fur. He smelled warm, and like home. He nuzzled under her chin, deeply regretting his loss of temper.

This must be the beach of turmoil and strife. She disliked it. Picking up Yukshi, she walked as quickly as she could to the red orb on the horizon. Noticing that, although it had changed colour, it was no lower in the sky than before.

They walked the rest of the way in silence, both mulling thoughtfully over the events that had transpired.
It seemed like forever before they reached the border with the next beach. Cara looked at the sun and she could have sworn that it hadn’t moved an inch.

She looked at the “sand” on the new beach. Sand was being used very loosely she noted. She bent down and picked up a handful of the stuff. It was freezing cold and very sharp. It cut into the flesh of her hand and tiny beads of blood formed on her pink skin. “Ouch!” she threw the stuff down. She examined her hand. The damage was superficial. She wiped her hand on her white skirt. She looked at the red smudge – a reminder to be more careful next time.

She sat down on the round pebbles and stared blankly at the sharp crystal shards. “Now what?” she asked Yukshi. He sat down beside her and shrugged his shoulders. “What now indeed” he thought. Together they sat in silence, watching the last rays of the sun dance on the strange ground. Eventually Cara turned her attention towards the water. She had not really paid much heed to it as it was of little consequence. The beaches are what had to be crossed, not the water. The gentle waves caressed the beach. Water flowed forward, and then retracted.

Forward and back, forward and back. She began to feel sleepy. The waves glinted as they picked up the crystal shards and moved them forward, only to carry them back again. Forward and back, forward and back. If those stupid round pebbles weren’t so hard, she would curl up on them and go to sleep. “Round” the word ran through her mind. How had they become so perfectly round? So smooth. The waves? Could it be? She stood up and stretched her aching legs. Yukshi followed suit. Together they walked towards the water’s edge, making sure to stay on the correct beach. No more ouches for today.

She was right? It was the movement of the water. All that back and forth motion had turned the little crystal shards into coloured marbles. She picked up a handful. They were cold and very smooth. This was the way across!

She took a step onto the beach and landed on her bum. She sat there dazed – and sore. Yukshi ran to see if she was alright and his little feet slipped out from under him and he landed on his belly. This was worse than the little pond when it froze over in the winter. Yukshi tried to stand up again but his feet wouldn’t stay where he had put them. He landed on his belly again. Cara felt a smile grabbing the corners of her mouth. She tried pulling them back. Yukshi would be hurt if she laughed at him. But she couldn’t stop the smile - or the laugh that escaped. He looked so cute and bewildered lying there on the marbles. Yukshi was thinking about how mad he was going to be if she didn’t stop laughing when she too was on her back. She had tried to get up and go and console him, but was clearly just as bad as he was. He felt doggy laughter bubbling up in his chest. She looked so silly with her legs in the air. She rolled over onto her stomach. Trying to stand wasn’t going to work here. Yukshi stayed on his belly and leopard crawled towards Cara. “Clever little pup” she mused. He crept alongside her, until he reached her face. He lunged forward and licked her on the nose. She shrieked. How she hated it, and how he loved doing it to her. She burst out laughing again and wiped her now wet nose.

“You are onto something there pup, but I don’t think I can make that distance on my tummy.” She wriggled until she was on her back again and pushed herself into a seated position.
She looked towards the sunset. The sun had not moved. The red ball was still playing light games with the crystal shards. Cara was relieved. She would not want to cross this beach in the dark. So together they slowly moved across the beach, hoping a big wave would not catch them. Cara on her bum and Yukshi on his belly. Although it didn’t really hurt, it was slow going. Cara could feel her muscles beginning to cramp. She longed to stand up and release the tension. Yukshi whimpered as his stomach was feeling bruised. They stopped just at the edge of the next beach. They scanned the beach warily. It looked normal. The sand looked like sand. They were contemplating whether what they saw was really what they saw. They did not see the wave sneaking up behind them. They had not decided whether the beach was safe or not, when the wave lifted them up and deposited them on the 4th beach.

They sat there, too afraid to move. What would happen if they did? Was it safe to even… breathe? Cara exhaled and Yukshi sneezed. Nothing happened. Yet they waited. Eventually Cara shifted her weight and looked around. The sky was purple now but the sun was still visible. Water lapped at her toes, reminding her of where they were sitting.

Gingerly she stood up. Her body ached from having to traverse the beach on her bum and she was really glad that it was behind them.
Yukshi licked his chest as if to get the circulation going again. He completely ignored the flea. He stopped and listened. What was that noise? It was a scratching sound. But not an ordinary scratching sound. There was something different about it. Something manic. And it was coming from under the sand. He placed his nose just above the grains of sand and sniffed, and sneezed! He sneezed again, and again. Cara looked at him and laughed but he really didn’t care. He wanted this ticklish stuff out of his nose – and he wanted it out NOW!

Cara held him gently while he sneezed. He was so cute with his mouse like sneezes. After a while the fit passed. The poor little boy was exhausted. He curled up on her lap with the intention of grabbing a catnap. Ah cats. Now those were really strange creatures. He really loved to observe them, but he loved to chase them even more. The most fun was to pretend to be asleep next to his food bowl and wait. He would foxy-sleep – with one eye partially open. At first spotting the cat was rather tricky as he dared not move his head too obviously or too often. But as time lapsed, the cat would always gain courage. He would notice movement in the corner of his vision. Gradually the movement would morph into cat. Cat would sneak, ever so quietly. Always coming closer. Eventually she would be next to him, sniffing his face. He would not move a muscle – not even a hair. Together they would remain motionless. Eventually hunger would overcome the cat and she would work her say towards the bowl. She would be sure to keep one eye on him at all times. But there was one moment when he would be out of her vision, and this was the moment when he would strike. She would get to the bowl and stand dead still and watch intently for any signs of consciousness. This was the most critical moment of his plan. If he even twitched an ear, she would be gone and they would begin this danse macabre once again.

Making sure he was not awake, she would let her face drop towards the bowl and its delectable contents. This was his moment. The apex of the exercise. He would use this perfect moment to leap into the air and let out his loudest bark. The poor, silly cat, would launch into the air, making a horrific noise, and would be gone. How these cats managed to disappear so quickly filled him with admiration. He chuckled at the thought of several cats floating around in the upper atmosphere, cursing that tricky dog that launched them up there.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Re: Tribble's Scribbles

Post by D3PART3D »

Tribble, I loved that. Please post the rest.

Oh, but one problem. That last bit about cats, can't you see I'm on tenterhooks here about what's burrowed under the sand?! :P
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

You are the sweetest D33 :hug: I need to type the rest - but you will find out what is in the sand :D

So - did you really like it? Is it really worth my typing it out and posting here? I do have it on my blog but no one comments there :(
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

I find it quite enjoyable, please post more.

Where did your inspiration come from btw?
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It was actually a dream I had - twice. I was about 15 I think. Started writing the plot down then but never took it any further. I still remember the plot so clearly today. Cannot really tell you where it comes from. It is not me - that is all I can say. In the dreams I never actually saw what happened on the 5 beaches - just knew they were there. So as I sit, with my pen and paper, the words just come out of the pen. I don't think about it - I don't plan it - I just sit and write. Often I don't know what is going to happen.
Spoiler: (show)
Like with the crabs I have just written - had no idea what would make them confusing - and not sure if I have made them so. Just know they are the crabs of confusion. I did not plan that part with the cat either - it just happened. Really surreal lol. There will need to be a lot of rewriting I guess - and a lot of fixes before I do anything with it.
It is as though the story is out there - and I am just tapping into it and writing it. I know that sounds silly - but I know that this is not mine. Perhaps this feeling is what brought the idea of the muses. Inspiration from out of oneself - explained in a way one can understand.

And thank you for liking it :D I will post more.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

It's those telepathic aliens out there I tell you.

Apologies for not commenting but I'll read it once my brain can actually put the words it the right order again
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Lol never mind :D Not that good - so you won't miss anything not reading it. It is just something I need to do. Some friends have said I should publish it - and that is why I am showing it - to know if it is worth doing. I don't mind if you guys say - No don't publish - it is something I need to do for me :D
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

I'll read it at some time and I'm sure it's better than you make it out to be
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I hope for your sake you are right. And I thank you for reading it (before you do) :D
ghett0_ghuru
Processor: Intel Core2 duo E6320
Motherboard: Nvidia MCP73
Graphics card: ancient
Memory: not enough

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

not bad at all
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Why thank you GG.
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

pleasure Tribbs ... found it weirdly familiar and unique at the same time ... if that makes sense.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I think so - it gets a bit weird after that. Still not happy with the crabs...... don't think they are funny or confusing.
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

weird is good .... don't overthink it
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Well as soon as I type it - I will post it and you can tell me how stupid it is :D
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

be as stupid as Tribble-ey possible :mrgreen:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

lol well you are motivating me to type it now. lol
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

I'm not a novelist ... but like Connery's character says in Finding Forrester...
'No thinking - that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!'
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I like that. That is what I am doing. Rather freaky what comes out of the pen.
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

to a degree, I know ... then you're left wondering... where did that come from
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Exactly. Not so much in this story but in others I have written
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

i think it proves a little insanity is good
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

My hubby would disagree
ghett0_ghuru

Post by ghett0_ghuru »

he doesn't want you to know the Secret ...
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I am not sure he knows it himself :D