geting full child custody

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
geraldhum

geting full child custody

Post by geraldhum »

Hi guys
Does have a clue on weather a father could get full custody of there child. The father is in jhb and the mother has just moved to dbn with the 7 month old. The father and mother both stay with there parents but the mother is not working and still studding. They are married and in the process of geting a divorse.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: geting full child custody

Post by Stuart »

As far as I've seen, courts are generally far more sympathetic to mothers in custody battles. I would think the father would be in a far better position if he had a stable job and his own place. It's certainly POSSIBLE for a father to get full custody, but I reckon it'll be a nasty battle if the mother wants the child.

Given that no one here (afaik) is in the legal field, you'll probably not get much better than guesswork and vague previous experience.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Courts side with the mother unless it can be proven she is unfit.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

jamin_za wrote:Courts side with the mother unless it can be proven she is unfit.
^^ What he said.
The mom need to be a homeless druggie before custody are given over.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Our family law (yes, back in the day I actually passed the subject at Tukkies) is derived from Roman-Dutch common law - and because of this the norm was to grant the mother custody except in extreme cases.
Not any more.
The Children's Act of 2005 wrote:When considering an application contemplated in subsection (l), the court must take into account-
(a) the best interests of the child;
(b) the relationship between the applicant and the child, and any other relevant person and the child;
(c) the degree of commitment that the applicant has shown towards the child;
(d) the extent to which the applicant has contributed towards expenses in connection with the birth and maintenance of the child; and
(e) any other fact that should, in the opinion of the court, be taken into account
Any decision that is taken by the court will be taken with the best interest of the child in mind. The parents' likes, wants and needs are not even a secondary consideration. Don't be fooled by (d). Even being (better than the other parent) financially able to take care of the child doesn't mean a parent will get custody - that's what support payments are for.

First off - I'm assuming that by "full child custody" you mean sole custody? That just doesn't happen except if one of the parents is a certified loony and nose picker. The best interest of the child remember?

Secondly. See if the parents can mediate the issue, else it gets really expensive, really fast. It may even happen that the court makes a temporary care ruling and tells them to shove off and mediate the issue.
If they can't come to an agreement - Tell the father to get a decent lawyer. Custody and the terms thereof is a tricky thing. Since the mother has already moved (back to her parents?) to Dbn this is even more complicated.

Finally. Don't ask and/or accept advice on serious matters like these from legal wannabees (me included).
Get proper, professional advice.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

No idea - sorry. Listen to Doo - he seems to know his stuff
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Doo summed it up perfectly when he said get proper legal advice - we an point you in a direction, but that is it.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.