Ethics

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

Ethics

Post by jee »

What will you do if you work in an information environment (like a library) and someone calls
wanting to know how long it would take someone to bleed out if he cut his wrists?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Ethics

Post by hamin_aus »

jee wrote:What will you do if you work in an information environment (like a library) and someone calls
wanting to know how long it would take someone to bleed out if he cut his wrists?
It's a pathetic attempt at attention seeking or a prank.

Tell them and then hang up.

Personally, I'd also encourage them to become an hero.
Prime

Post by Prime »

You are legally obliged to report it to the authorities. Under SA law, you can be held accountable if someone tells you they want to suicide and you fail to report it and they do. :roll:
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

someone calls wanting to know how long it would take someone to bleed out if he cut his wrists
Nobody's told anyone they wanted to commit suicide.
It was a medical question.

Edit:
Maybe I should elaborate a bit...
This is the information age. If someone has access to a telephone they have access to the internet and there are plenty of websites they can find for info on how to successfully kill themselves. A call asking how long it would take to bleed out seems designed to elicit a supposition that the person intends to kill themselves.
Most people would respond to this by attempting dissuade the person. I'm a cynic, so I assume this person craves attention, even from random strangers.
They are not serious about taking their own life.
Giving them attention is not going to help then as in a few hours they will probably make the same call again to another random stranger.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I happen to agree with jamin_za. They are asking a question - perhaps they are afraid someone will commit suicide and want to make sure they get there in time. But it really sounds like a prank call - wanting you to worry. As much as we would like to - we cannot save everyone. If you have no idea who they are - you cannot help them anyway. If you don't give them the information - someone else will. It is between you and your conscience as to whether you want to give that information away.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Tribble wrote:I happen to agree with jamin_za. They are asking a question - perhaps they are afraid someone will commit suicide and want to make sure they get there in time. But it really sounds like a prank call - wanting you to worry. As much as we would like to - we cannot save everyone. If you have no idea who they are - you cannot help them anyway. If you don't give them the information - someone else will. It is between you and your conscience as to whether you want to give that information away.
I know, its ridiculous that if someone can make it your problem when you actually didn't want to be involved.

anyway
Drakonis
G3AR Online Content Editor

Post by Drakonis »

I say give them the information. They'll get it elsewhere. If it is suicide information they're after (and I'd ask if that was the case), I'd throw in the "avoid tendons while cutting advice" and list the other accepted methods of suicide i.e. least painful (freezing to death) and most painful (death by immolation, only for the serious).
The scenario above has actually happened to me before and that was my response.
If they're serious, your response won't matter and they just want the info. If they're looking for attention, actually giving them some attention may help a little (and secure you a new stalker).
Prime wrote: You are legally obliged to report it to the authorities. Under SA law, you can be held accountable if someone tells you they want to suicide and you fail to report it and they do.
In SA, you're also supposed to be held accountable for murder, fraud, rape and a host of other things. Not much of that happening.
Odds are the police would actually be diligent about chasing the Case of the Suicidal Teen into the ground, though. Just my luck.
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
My opinion, not the mag's
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

if i was you id give them the info and also a suicide hotline number just incase, often if that person is suicidal they will take that number down and use it. suicidal ppl are just ppl who feel nobody cares and wants to help. so give them the details of those who do.
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

po10cy wrote:if i was you id give them the info and also a suicide hotline number just incase, often if that person is suicidal they will take that number down and use it. suicidal ppl are just ppl who feel nobody cares and wants to help. so give them the details of those who do.
+1

I'd say I don't know what that information is, but they could find out from this number and give them the suicide watch number without telling them. The person on that side is trained in what to do in such a situation.

I am, however, of the opinion, that the people that speak about suicide are generally the ones who don't do it and are seeking attention, whereas the people who suddenly become quiet and introverted or depressed (if you can detect it) are the ones to watch.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Jonboy, that only means that we have to keep a closer eye on you from now on :wink:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Jonboy, that only means that we have to keep a closer eye on you from now on :wink:
Lol :lol:

Believe me, I'm one of the least depressive people you're likely to meet. I'm very grateful for that though, because I think depression is crippling to a lot of people and it must honestly suck to have to constantly live with those sorts of feelings.

There was a guy at school with us that was popular, good at sports, clever and honestly never seemed in the least bit depressed. Then one day his mom came home to find him hanging in his room. It was so incredibly sad.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
jee

Post by jee »

Do you think if the question was asked someone in their professional capacity (not psychologist) that the answerer could be held legally responsible for their answer?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

jee wrote:Do you think if the question was asked someone in their professional capacity (not psychologist) that the answerer could be held legally responsible for their answer?
Actually you can be held liable for practicing without a license. The question obviously has mental implications and should not be answered by anyone not trained / qualified / certified to answer such questions. The crux though is that simply refusing to answer the question might be considered as an answer. Also simply putting the phone down is also saying "Go ahead and kill yourself cuz no one on the face of this planet gives a damn about you and your problems."
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

jee wrote:Do you think if the question was asked someone in their professional capacity (not psychologist) that the answerer could be held legally responsible for their answer?
No.

Unless they were some sort of medical practitioner.

And no, your homoeopathic quackery does not qualify you as such. Although suicide my scented candle smoke inhalation would be a terrible way to go!
jee

Post by jee »

RuadRauFlessa wrote: Actually you can be held liable for practicing without a license. The question obviously has mental implications
How sure are you? What if it is someone who has taken a bet (yes, things like this happen) with his/her friend, someone doing research on blood flow, someone doing a school project on suicide/strange happenings and want to have an answer?

Librarians do not have licenses ;)
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

You are merely imparting information - just like a book would. Moral judgement does not come into play here. You can, therefore, not be held morally accountable for the results.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Tribble wrote:You are merely imparting information - just like a book would. Moral judgment does not come into play here. You can, therefore, not be held morally accountable for the results.
True and legally neither. You are however not allowed to practice without a license and if someone says that they want information on how to kill themselves any information you may divulge can be used against you in a court. The question though is how is it going to be proven. If you feel you should not give out the information don't. Tell the person to go to a library and do some decent research and maybe he will learn more than just what he is after.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Drakonis

Post by Drakonis »

*posts up information on how to create a biological weapon from common household chemicals, watches entire communities die*
Am I still not morally accountable? All I did was impart information.
Quite beside the point, I don't believe someone should be held accountable for giving information out to a person that may or may not be suicidal. A license should not factor into this. I blame psychiatrists and the like for many of today's problems anyway.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Drakonis wrote: Quite beside the point, I don't believe someone should be held accountable for giving information out to a person that may or may not be suicidal. A license should not factor into this. I blame psychiatrists and the like for many of today's problems anyway.
I blame Jamin :twisted: :wink:
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

They are phoning a library - not a doctor's office. They know that the person is not licensed to give counseling. My mom did a Helpline course - they are not allowed to give advice - only to listen. They cannot even guide the caller in a specific direction. They have to make all the decisions on their own - without any influence. My mom figured that it is carp and quit. She joined to help people - not keep her mouth shut and listen.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Jonboy wrote:I blame Jamin :twisted: :wink:
In my defence, I'm more a symptom of today's problems than the actual cause.... :P
Drakonis

Post by Drakonis »

Eh.. Helpline isn't allowed to HELP?!
*beats head repeatedly against the wall*
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Tribble wrote:They are phoning a library - not a doctor's office. They know that the person is not licensed to give counseling. My mom did a Helpline course - they are not allowed to give advice - only to listen. They cannot even guide the caller in a specific direction. They have to make all the decisions on their own - without any influence. My mom figured that it is carp and quit. She joined to help people - not keep her mouth shut and listen.
My girlfriend is a qualified psychologist and they too are not allowed to give advice, only to listen and guide you to a place where you can make a decision for yourself. It's strange.
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

It is nuts! Insane. People phone Helpline for help and get to talk. They could talk to there cat and get a better response. But that is how it works. You listen so that they can realise what they should do.
Drakonis

Post by Drakonis »

Okay, so imparting information can be construed as advice and get you in trouble...
BUT... the people you'd expect to be able to give advice, guidance, enemas, whatever... are not really allowed to. :shock:

Back on topic though, if we're talking ethical decisions here, there should be no problem with just providing someone with information. To not provide info is like a journalist not publishing coverage on genocide in case it encourages other people to go out and try it.