Need some modding advice

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
U_571

Need some modding advice

Post by U_571 »

What's the simplest and most effective way to make a 45 degree cut on an aluminum profile (square angle profile). I tried a hacksaw with a jig but it's not accurate enough. Tried a dremel as well but decided it's a safety hazard after breaking several cutting discs, plus the result is much worse. How hard can it be?
Samaya

Re: Need some modding advice

Post by Samaya »

The most simplest way is to go to a pro and have them do it. BUT seeing as that is more than what one should pay for having a cut made, you can do the following:

1) Mark the area you want to cut.
2) Put on eye protection (This part is very important)
3) Take an angle grinder with a disc for cutting aluminium and cut about 3mm away from your line.
4) Get a file. Preferably a rough file to file close to the line.
5) Get another file. Preferably a smooth file to so you can get on the line.
6) You can remove the eye protection
7) Check your work and file away any bumps that you see.

If you have a power file, you can replace step 4 with that. You also polish the cut with 400grit then 800 grit and finally 1200 grit sanding paper. Just fix the sanding paper to a sanding block.

Any more advice needed?
U_571

Post by U_571 »

Now that I have perfected the technique to create 45 angles, I have another dilemma. I need to weld the pieces together. Is Mat-weld aluminum rods the answer? How about brazing rods? I need to create quite a few test designs so I don't want to pay someone to weld it until I test-fitted the design I like. I usually borrow a Tig150 welder for steel welding jobs and some say you can just swop the cables to weld aluminum using brazing rods. Any advice?
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Unfortunately I have no hand-on experience with welding. I had my frame for Mecha welded at a engineering shop. You'll need to speak with people who work with this type thing. All I can add is that the guy that welded my frame used a Tig welder to do it.