Stacker 830 first time modding

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Smilodon111

Stacker 830 first time modding

Post by Smilodon111 »

Hey guys....

well Killerbyte says they might bring back the 'Rig of the month' section in the mag if they get some decent customized cases :mrgreen:

sooooo...

i know my Stacker's got potential & i have a good idea of what i want to do but i wanna clarify some things first, lemme know what you think:

1.) complete paint job - im going with a black theme which is common but IMO has a very professional look..
2.) im going to install windows where theres mesh - but not a standard window - i want a dark black plexi....
3.) i need to go H20 so i was thinking a red H20 kit - red tubing with a dark black coolant....all my parts (see sig) are red & black anyway - so everything should work well with each other...thinking of putting a GTX360 rad mounted on top - primochill tubing - swiftech MCP655 (i think it's called) pump & a red cpu block with black anti kink coils..do you think its worth going with NB / SB / mosfet blocks or should i just keep it @ cpu + gpu

any other idea's will be appreciated...

btw - im still deciding if its worth it cuz its gonna be very expensive to do this - but thats why i want your guys feedback on it...

thanx again & all the best guys

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Calling S.A modders

Post by Tribble »

I don't mod (and never will) but that sounds really awesome!
Smilodon111

Re: Calling S.A modders

Post by Smilodon111 »

Tribble wrote:I don't mod (and never will) but that sounds really awesome!
hey thanx for the speedy answer :-D

i think it'll look killer aswell but im gonna need help with the H20 kit - the finer things like compression fittings & stuff cuz i dont know much of that...

the problem i sit with is that the stacker doesnt have good cable management cuz everything is open so im gonna have to find a way through that...also i plan on setting the rad in a push pull setup so thats why i want to mount it on the roof of the chassis - some ppl say it looks bad but i think if its done right its gonna look awesome :twisted:

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
Samaya

Re: Stacker 830 first time modding

Post by Samaya »

Red and black is a good combination especially if the components are that colour as well. What colour are you going to make the lighting inside?

You should really also try to plan your mod on paper or some CAD program like sketcup if you can. It always helps with improving any ideas or ironing out problems that might arise from your modding. That way you could also fix your cabling issues if you still have them. You should also look at the benchmarking thread on this forum and ask the guys/girls what they use and their opinions of which water blocks, pipes, reservoirs, etc. Get the best advise.

If you need help send me a PM.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

Samaya wrote:Red and black is a good combination especially if the components are that colour as well. What colour are you going to make the lighting inside?

You should really also try to plan your mod on paper or some CAD program like sketcup if you can. It always helps with improving any ideas or ironing out problems that might arise from your modding. That way you could also fix your cabling issues if you still have them. You should also look at the benchmarking thread on this forum and ask the guys/girls what they use and their opinions of which water blocks, pipes, reservoirs, etc. Get the best advise.

If you need help send me a PM.
thanx for the advice samaya

these are the parts i want - i dont know if there are other things (extra barbs etc) but the basic system is like this:

Cpu Block - EK-Supreme-HF-Red-Nk $80
Gpu Block - EK FC-5870 Radeon HD 5870 ATI Reference PCB Design - Nickel/Acetal $112
Rad - EK-CoolStream RAD XT (480) $100
Pump - Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12 VDC Water Pumps - With Speed Control $80
Res - EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Acetal $75
Tubing - PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing -3/8in. ID X 1/2in. OD +/-$20
Kink Coil - PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coils - Black +/- $15
Coolant - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Liquid Cooling Fluid (32 oz.) - Black/UV Blue $15

Total - +/- R4000 Excluding Shipping & fans.all of this comes from performance pcs

what do you think? have i missed anything? i was gonna go for the 360 rad but the price on the 480's is cheap,so why not lol :-D

the case is gonna be red & black cuz it suits the hardware inside :twisted:

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Hey dude :)

I've been modding for ages, and Samaya and I were actually just talking about local modding a few days ago. It's good to see someone new modding a rig.

I've never worked on a Stacker, but I LOVE those cases.

With regards to your cooling system - you've ordered 3/8 IN 1/2 OD tubing, so you need to get barbs for everything that suit those sizes as well.

Also, it's all good and well that you can get a 480 raddy for cheap, but will it actually fit in that case? Be sure to check that before you order :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

Hey DAE_JA_VOO :-D

its good to hear from you again man :-)

thats where my problem lies - i dont know much about the barbs / compression fittings / tubing diameter in H20 cooling - i really need your knowledge in that...could you maybe assist me on exactly what parts / fittings i would need?

with terms of the rad - im gonna mount it on top of the case externally (kinda like the koolance exo h20 kit) and run the tubing into the case @ the back.im gonna put 4 fans on top & 4 underneath for a push pull setup...i gots a vision lol :-D

other than diamater / mounting issues how do you think it'll perform? & looks wise?

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Smilodon111 wrote:Hey DAE_JA_VOO :-D

its good to hear from you again man :-)
Hey dude :D You too man :)

Smilodon111 wrote:thats where my problem lies - i dont know much about the barbs / compression fittings / tubing diameter in H20 cooling - i really need your knowledge in that...could you maybe assist me on exactly what parts / fittings i would need?
Alright. It's very simple, actually. If your tubing has a 3/8" ID, that refers to the INSIDE DIAMETER of the tubing. In other words, that's the size that barb needs to be, because the barb needs to fit into that hole. OD (outside diameter) doesn't matter, unless you're using compression fittings, which will then obviously need to support 1/2" OD tubing. That's all there really is to it :)

Smilodon111 wrote:with terms of the rad - im gonna mount it on top of the case externally (kinda like the koolance exo h20 kit) and run the tubing into the case @ the back.im gonna put 4 fans on top & 4 underneath for a push pull setup...i gots a vision lol :-D
To be honest, I wouldn't do this. The Stacker has such a great look, and a big raddy on top is going to ruin the look completely. Look at the top of a stacker:

That thing is beautiful, and a Raddy will kill that completely IMO :( It's up to you, obviously, but that's not my taste. I'm very iffy about things like this, though, so it might not bother you at all :)
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

oh ok that makes sense :-D i see the rad & things have a connection threads thats G1/4" - so will PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing - 1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD fit onto it with no probs? sorry for the stupid questions lol i jus wanna make sure of it before i buy it cuz its expensive...

also - you have a good point with the rad....i wonder if it could mount onto the back of the case? do you think the swiftech radboxes will hold the 480 with 8 120mm's? cuz thats about my only other option...i dont want to mount it inside cuz i wanna see the rad :twisted:

lastly - how long will this kit last do you think? it would suck if its dies soon after i buy it cuz i see the warrenty is only 1 year on the parts :(

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Smilodon111 wrote:oh ok that makes sense :-D i see the rad & things have a connection threads thats G1/4"
The G1/4" refers to the thread, and the barbs and raddies usually have the same thread, so don't worry about that. Just make sure that the barbs are 3/8" ID, and you'll be fine :)

Smilodon111 wrote:also - you have a good point with the rad....i wonder if it could mount onto the back of the case? do you think the swiftech radboxes will hold the 480 with 8 120mm's? cuz thats about my only other option...i dont want to mount it inside cuz i wanna see the rad :twisted:
Hmmm. If you absolutely MUST mount it outside, do it on the back. Don't do it with 8 120s, that's nuts. You only need 4 of them, so mount it that way :)

Smilodon111 wrote:lastly - how long will this kit last do you think? it would suck if its dies soon after i buy it cuz i see the warrenty is only 1 year on the parts :(
Forever. Seriously, WC components last long enough for you to throw them away :)
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

Smilodon111 wrote:also - you have a good point with the rad....i wonder if it could mount onto the back of the case? do you think the swiftech radboxes will hold the 480 with 8 120mm's? cuz thats about my only other option...i dont want to mount it inside cuz i wanna see the rad :twisted:
Hmmm. If you absolutely MUST mount it outside, do it on the back. Don't do it with 8 120s, that's nuts. You only need 4 of them, so mount it that way :)
...thats not the first time someone said that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ok this seems to be the final setup - its gonna be damn expensive but it'll look killer & should perform darn good...i went with 1/2" tubing

EK-Supreme HF High Flow - Highest Performance CPU Water Block - Nickel/Red Plexi
- Fitting Size 1/2" Barb for 1/2" ID tube $79.95

EK FC-5870 Radeon HD 5870 ATI Reference PCB Design - Nickel/Acetal
- Fitting Size 1/2" Barb for 1/2" ID tube $111.95

EK-CoolStream RAD XT (480)
- Nozzles Add Pair EK G1/4" [1/2" Barb] $104.95

Swiftech MCP655™ Series 12 VDC Water Pumps - With Speed Control $76.95

PrimoFlex Pro LRT UV Red Tubing -1/2in. ID X 3/4in. OD 3M $6.75

PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Liquid Cooling Fluid (32 oz.) x2 - Black/UV Blue $31.90

PrimoChill Anti-Kink Coil Size 3/4" will fit 3/4in O.D. Tubing Black 3M $11.85

MNPCTech "Flame" 120mm Acrylic Fan Grill- Black x4 $31.80

Yate Loon CLEAR 120mm Medium Speed Silent Case Fan with Red LED - D12SM-124R - Sleeved x4 $15.80

EK-BAY SPIN Reservoir - Plexi $79.94
- Fitting Size 1/2" Barb for 1/2" ID tube

Sub-Total: $551.84 excluding Shipping :-( i cant seem to find decent radboxes though...i can afford it but then everyones getting chappies for christmass.

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

That looks pretty good. You've gone up to bigger tubing now, but who's complaining, right? :P

I know it's expensive, but dude, WC setups last forever. My first kit cost me about 5K (also purchased from P-PCs), but I used that setup for about 3.5 years (and I didn't stop because of the kit).
Prime

Post by Prime »

The other options for your radiators are to make a box for them that matches the style of the case and goes underneath, then it just looks like a neat stand; or to build it into a stand alone unit that sits on the desk and matches the case - then the stand alone radiator (linked by the colling pipes and fan cables + fans in its enclosure becomes a feature.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

this is the way im gonna mount it - jus a little higher & less fans :twisted:

what do you guys think?

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I honestly think it looks terrible, but that's just my taste :P
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I honestly think it looks terrible, but that's just my taste :P
No, I agree with you. It looks like the radiator was an after thought.

Dude, do some planning with your WC. nothing worse than pumps and radiators that look like an afterthought :wink:
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Smilodon111 wrote:this is the way im gonna mount it - jus a little higher & less fans :twisted:

what do you guys think?
I agree with DJV, It will look bad on the back. Plus you will have issues with cabling if my sizing-up-the-raddy guestimate is correct. Place it below the case and make some kind of pedestal/foot for the case to stand on. You can make it out of aluminium and have it anodized red or black. you can then even make sure the raddy won't get damaged if its left open.

And again, try to get this case of yours into Google sketchup and plan the mod. You don't want to end up having to rethink where you pushed those tubes through AFTER you drilled the holes for them.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Ooooooor, you could just get a radiator that will actually fit in the case? Seriously, a triple 120mm fits like a glove into the bottom of that case (I know, because I installed one for a guy once). That would look a million times better IMO.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Ooooooor, you could just get a radiator that will actually fit in the case? Seriously, a triple 120mm fits like a glove into the bottom of that case (I know, because I installed one for a guy once). That would look a million times better IMO.
sounds like a plan lol maybe a 480 is overkill... 8) the 360 should mount nicely in front or @ the bottom perfectly...

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

If you put the raddy inside, along the bottom, and the fans UNDER it, outside the case, it all fits perfectly, and looks stock, unless you look under the case, of course.

Bad picture, but you get the idea:

Ignore the fans inside.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Will the fans get enough airflow if you mount them underside :?:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I believe they will. If not, mount them like the ones in the pic.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

DAE_JA_VOO i cant belive i missed that! that looks amazing :-D 360 raddy it is..i think im gonna mount the fans on top of the rad so that it can push the hot air out the case & that i can still get those wicked fan grills :twisted:

what raddy should i get? everyone talks of a thermochill pa120.3 or something...what makes it so good to others if i may ask?

DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

It's just a freaking awesome raddy. Really, really efficient :)
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

oh ok - well my setup isnt gonna be to intense (single loop w/ cpu + gpu) so i dont think i need that amount of cooling capacity.i'll see what the prices are for it though cuz id prefer to build it right the first time :-D i wonder if performance pcs closes during christmass time? otherwise i'll wait till january for the order.

i should mod the case before i put the h20 in & i think with a black case (inside & out) ; black plexi on the mesh area's ; red / black hardware ; red LED's & finally a red / black h20 system its gonna look awesome & very evil :twisted: ( :lol: )