Stacker 830 first time modding

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
DAE_JA_VOO

Re: Stacker 830 first time modding

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Smilodon111 wrote:oh ok - well my setup isnt gonna be to intense (single loop w/ cpu + gpu) so i dont think i need that amount of cooling capacity.
But you wanted a 480 raddy?

Smilodon111 wrote:i'll see what the prices are for it though cuz id prefer to build it right the first time :-D i wonder if performance pcs closes during christmass time? otherwise i'll wait till january for the order.
Everyone closes over Christmas ;) If you're willing to wait until about mid January, we can order together, as I'll be bringing a system in as well :)

Smilodon111 wrote:i should mod the case before i put the h20 in
Bad idea. Case modding should all be done simultaneously, because you might do something now, and when you want to install the cooling system, the stuff you modded before is in the way or no in the right place. My opinion, from my own experience :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Smilodon111 wrote:oh ok - well my setup isnt gonna be to intense (single loop w/ cpu + gpu) so i dont think i need that amount of cooling capacity.
But you wanted a 480 raddy?
haha :mrgreen: good point :oops:

Smilodon111 wrote:i'll see what the prices are for it though cuz id prefer to build it right the first time :-D i wonder if performance pcs closes during christmass time? otherwise i'll wait till january for the order.
Everyone closes over Christmas ;) If you're willing to wait until about mid January, we can order together, as I'll be bringing a system in as well :)
Sounds good man - during that time i can do the planning & make sure exactly what im gonna buy.

Smilodon111 wrote:i should mod the case before i put the h20 in
Bad idea. Case modding should all be done simultaneously, because you might do something now, and when you want to install the cooling system, the stuff you modded before is in the way or no in the right place. My opinion, from my own experience :)
will do man - i'll wait till mid january & then i can make some sketches & plan it down to the last detail.i guess i get ahead of myself when it comes to this stuff :lol:

thanx for all the help guys - you really know your stuff & helped me a lot... :-)

DAE_JA_VOO pm me when you gonna order the stuff! :-D

all the best

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Will do!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

hey guys...

wow what a terrible christmass its been for me... :(

recently i got hold of some Lian-Li sound proof foam that worked like a bomb (frontosa had a sale so i thought why not) - the foam really worked well in the sense of lowering the pitch of noise from the case & since its black, i thought it would work really well with my new color scheme planned in the mod.

anyway, so all is good 8)

but heres the problem,i just tested the stuff & tried to take it out.i mean i used some fong kong sound proof foam from MICA a few times & had no problems putting it in & taking it out countless times & i felt the glue underneath the foam & it was very thin & really not sticky @ all...

anyway, long story short, this foam broke into a million pieces while taking it out,stuck down worse than super glue & just destroyed my case :( :( :(

so thanx to that R300 foam it messed up my R3000 case....so im gonna start sanding down & painting the case over.

to add more of a nightmare to this - nobody in my town can paint my case & since this will be my first time...im gonna need some help from the guru's of PC modding....where do i start? ,what must i buy to sand it & paint it? & whats the process?

i know itll look awesome after painting it over but i really hate myself & that STUPID foam..

thanx & all the best...

[Core i7 930] [12GB Corsair Dominator CL8 XMP 1.65v] [Asus Rampage II Extreme] [Sapphire HD5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition 2GB DDR5] [Corsair HX-750W Modular] [32GB OCZ Onyx SSD] [3TB Seagate Barracuda's] [Coolermaster Cosmos S] [Coolermaster Sickle Flow 120's] [Logitech G11] [Razer Death Adder 3500DPI w/ Razer Goliathus Fragged Alpha Sized] [Logitech Z2300 THX] [Samsung Sync Master 2494HS 24" LCD]
Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

ok guys jus an update on my plans... :)

well the new year is around the corner so i cant wait to start this! :mrgreen:

1.) im gonna start on the panels first - as i said im gonna put dark black plexi in all the places that have mesh except the front panel cuz otherwise im gonna get no airflow inside - then im gonna attach the plexi to the panels by getting stainless steel bolts (SHINY :P ) - so has anyone got any good ideas for the front panel mesh? i want to do something with it aswell but out of ideas???

2.) regarding the paint job - im gonna spray it matte black inside - some ppl tell me that primer is not necessary for alu - is it true? they say jus sand it down & paint it.also i wanted to know should i powder coat or jus paint it standard with a spray gun? my stepdad says its overkill to power coat on a pc case but hey,that never stopped us,did it? lol :lol: lastly,does anyone know more or less the price to powder coat the entire case....

3.) unfortunately, the h20 kit is going to come last - so im gonna start cutting the case once i get the h20 as DJV says.

as i said before - the whole theme is black & red - very evil :twisted: im going to use lian li red LED strips among other things..but you guys gonna have to wait cuz i cant give away all my secrets :P

all the best guys till later

Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

hey guys...

this was my inspiration for the mod...

i think it looks stunning & want my case almost exactly the same - jus with a little evil touch :twisted:

Smilodon111

Post by Smilodon111 »

Alrighty - head over to project logs & look for 'The Nehalem GT' for my progress with the mod... :-D