Perspex Project

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
CeLL

Perspex Project

Post by CeLL »

Hi guys!

I've recently started itching to do a self built case from perspex but I've very little experience with it so I'd really like some advice on a couple of things. Firstly, I've already gotten prices for acrylic sheets from Maizeys, but what would be the best thickness to use for the case itself? All of the other dimensions I can adapt from my current case, it's just the thickness I'm not sure of and I can't find proper answers on Google.

I still have to find a Dremel aswell. I'm not too troubled by that part of the build as I have a fair bit of experience with other powertools, but any pointers on correct usage of the specific tool will also be cool. The large panels I'll be able to have cut, it's just the small details I'll be using the dremel for.

I'm also thinking about going the water cooling route, but that's only a maybe I'll have to see how much the case itself is going to cost first. It's not a necessary, but I have a pump and reservoir, so I'll only need waterblocks. Where would be a good place to shop for blocks? I've checked Prophecy and Sybaritic but they don't stock a big variety. I'm running a Core2 and two HD4850's in CF. As I said that's only a maybe, the big thing being the case itself.

If anyone has a rough approx of the cost of a build like this could you please also let me know, just for the sake of seeing if it's actually viable. Once I have answers to the most important questions I'll start designing concepts for the case itself, which I'll also post, but it won't be anything too out of the ordinary!

Thanks a lot for any help and replies!
Prime

Re: Perspex Project

Post by Prime »

Hi, there are a bunch of tutorials here including tips on using a dremel. otherwise, all i can say is practice on something you aren't fond off :)
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Is plexy and perspex the same thing?
Be in contact with the plastic Dremel Master Dae.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Or the Forumite Maizey who repesents Maizeys
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Sojourn wrote:Be in contact with the plastic Dremel Master Dae.
:oops:
Thanks man! :D
CeLL wrote:Firstly, what would be the best thickness to use for the case itself?
You're going to want to use no thinner than about 8mm for the support structure i.e. anything that's part of the structure of the case, the "frame", you want it nice and strong, so go with at least 8mm. Everything else can be thinner. Anything that's purely aesthetic you can go 3mm or even 1.5, depending on your needs :)

CeLL wrote:I still have to find a Dremel aswell. I'm not too troubled by that part of the build as I have a fair bit of experience with other powertools, but any pointers on correct usage of the specific tool will also be cool.
Most of us use the Dremel 300. You can pick it up at your local Builders' warehouse :)

CeLL wrote:I have a pump and reservoir, so I'll only need waterblocks.
And a radiator ;)

CeLL wrote:Where would be a good place to shop for blocks?
Nowhere local, if you want something decent. Blocks locally aren't anything compared to the stuff we usually import. Try Performance-PCs.

CeLL wrote:I'm running a Core2 and two HD4850's in CF.
Oooh, cooling will cost you :P an arm and a leg :D

CeLL wrote:If anyone has a rough approx of the cost of a build like this could you please also let me know, just for the sake of seeing if it's actually viable.
Usually scratch build plexi cases come in at about R1000, and that's NOT including the actual work and time you're going to put into it. This is why we don't see many of these mods.

Good luck dude :D
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
CeLL

Post by CeLL »

Thanks a million guys! I was also wondering about the case fans. At the moment I'm using a Thermaltake Tsunami Dream case and it's pretty decent at keeping everything cool. It has two 120mm fans for intake and exhaust and a 92mm side panel fan. They work well, but can get very noisy and I want to try quietening things a bit, so I was thinking about two 200mm fans for intake and exhaust. What's your take on the 200mm fans? Will they be better or are they overkill?

I'm using a Thermalright Ultima-90 for my CPU and I have a Zalman VF1000 on one of my GPU's but I've only added the second one recently so it's still on stock cooling and it gets very hot. If I don't take the water cooling route I'll get another VF1000 for the other GPU. That'll probably keep the components happy.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Antec Big Boy fans are very quiet. they are 220mm if i remember correctly. Decent Airflow (85CFM), low noise (<35dB) 120mm fans usually set you back atleast R150, a single big boy will set you back atleast R200 bucks.
CeLL

Post by CeLL »

I saw Cooler Master Megaflows (200mm) for R150 at Prophecy? Worth it over 120's? Would look cooler I'd think?
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

The fans you buy will still make a noise, although some less than others. If you want to really get the fan noise down (not gone) add a fan controller to the mix.
CeLL

Post by CeLL »

I'm going to use toggle switches mounted on my front panel a la DAE's switch mod :lol: .

Okay I've started buying the panels for the builld and they're damn expensive! Next question... I've seen a lot of cases are joined at the sides by clear blocks of perspex and screws. Does anyone have any experience with doing this. I can't find clear blocks so the guy from maizey's cut me 8 15x15x15 mm square blocks which I'm going to try and use. What will be the best way to go about this? Drill straight through and use machine screws or only halfway in and use self tapping screws?
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Self tapping is the way. And when you are happy with your case, you fill the hole with clear epoxy and turn the screw into the epoxy. That way it'll never let go.