First time modding info

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
geraldhum

First time modding info

Post by geraldhum »

Hi there modders

I have this really ugly looking pc case and after looking at all the pics you guys post i want to mod my case, it isnt a really nice case but my first mod, so i dont want to go by an expensive case and bugger it up. So MY questions are.

1. Do i just go to my local paint supplier and ask for car paint, and can i just get one of those throw away spray cans or must i get a spray gun(budget really small)?

2.How much am i looking at for an entry level dremel or what else can i use to cut the side panels that will be cheaper than a dremel?

3. Primer: does it come in a spray can, or again will i need a spray gun?

4. Sand paper i should just get water paper
Prime

Re: First time modding info

Post by Prime »

There is nothing wrong with rattle can paint. Rustoleum is really high quality, as is duplicolor. But plascon will do. As for primer, well coast coat etch primer will spray nicely with the right thinners. But you'll need a spray gun and compressor. Plascon make a rattle can primer. Rustoleam and duplicolor probably do too. I have had issues with the quality of dulux. Sprayon is fine too.

sandpaper/waterpaper comes from any hardware store. I can't find it in anything finer than 1200 grit though. use diluted sunlight liquid to improve on your finish.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Yup, normal spray cans work fine, but are prone to scratches.

Look for an Enhell Engraving Tool, I found mine at Makro for R200 and it works bloody fantastic. Buy REAL dremel cutting disks though.

You can get primer in a can, make sure your surface is very clean and smooth before you spray, and let every coat dry properly before applying the next.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Maybe its a bad idea to mod your current case if your starting up. Try get a second hand case so you can perfect the techniques of cutting, painting etc.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

Thanks guys

im gonna go to makro an d look at the Enhell Engraving Tool. For now something like that must work for me untill i can invest in a dremel 300. I don't mind stuffing up my current case if i dont come right, ill get another case for tha matter(cheap one)

So thanks again, once i got all the equipment ill post a pic of my current case and then post one after it has been done:)
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

geraldhum wrote: ...ill post a pic of my current case and then post one after it has been done:)
No two pictures won't do. We need in between pics as well... 8)

You don't need a Dremel to cut panels. In fact if you have never used one then rather cut with a hack saw, drill holes and cut the in between bits or use a Jig saw. If you still want to get a Dremel, the Einhel is fine to start with and definitely get the original Dremel reinforced cutting discs. Never cut on the line with your Dremel and always file down to the line you have drawn.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

Thanks man,

Im going to builders warehouse in about 2 hours or so. I am NOT a handy man so i don't really have any of the tools and i think a jig saw would be better for me. So im going to get a jigsaw, drill, a couple of files(rounded and strait) and maybe a profesional measuring tools, instead of me just using a 30cm ruler. I should start on this the weekend. I'll use plexi glass instead of perspex for the window, which i'll buy online with all my other fans. LEDS and modding stuff.

Then i'll get the paint/primer once this is all done
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

geraldhum wrote:...use plexi glass instead of perspex...
Its the same material. Plexi glass is just more evenly flat than Perspex. And you WON'T notice the difference.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

oh, never new that, just watched a vid of someone modding with plexiglass and look better than perpex
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Samaya wrote:
Its the same material. Plexi glass is just more evenly flat than Perspex. And you WON'T notice the difference.
Nope. They are not the same. Plexiglass is made out of Polycarbonate, so it's a different material altogether. Plexiglass is MUCH harder than perspex, so it won't crack or shatter. As a result, however, plexi is MUCH harder to work with, so us modders just use perspex :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Samaya wrote:
Nope. They are not the same. Plexiglass is made out of Polycarbonate, so it's a different material altogether. Plexiglass is MUCH harder than perspex, so it won't crack or shatter. As a result, however, plexi is MUCH harder to work with, so us modders just use perspex :)
Nope
Wikipedia wrote:and is commonly called acrylic glass, simply acrylic, perspex or plexiglas.
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

well anyway, i bought one of those ryobi kits, which consists of a jig saw, drill and angle grinder, was only R650 and yea its not the best but will work for me until i get the hang of all this modding.

then only the end of september ill be able to paint it as i want to get a pint gun and compressor
Prime

Post by Prime »

WiK1d, but wiki is american. Their definition and the rest of the worlds are not guaranteed to mean the same thing. And the americans call polycarb lexan. :?

i'm with dae.

edit: and since when is acrylic perspex?
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

http://www.plexiglas.com/

"Global leader in PMMA"
Will stop derailing the thread now.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Samaya wrote:
Your memory is failing you. I think you are thinking of the armoured stuff used for stuff like bullet proof windows or aircraft canopies. AND we had this same argument about 3 years ago. We should have a sticky with its explanation so YOU don't forget... :twisted: 8) :D :mrgreen:
Prime wrote:WiK1d, but wiki is american. Their definition and the rest of the worlds are not guaranteed to mean the same thing. And the americans call polycarb lexan. :?

i'm with dae.

edit: and since when is acrylic perspex?
Its an Polymethyl methacrylate. Where Polycarbonate is based on carbon polymers.

Don't feel too put down though, it will happen again later on in life :twisted: :mrgreen:
Prime

Post by Prime »

:scratch:

Nope, seems you are right. Apparently plexiglass is a very old name for perspex. :scratch:

Anyway, back on topic:

geraldhum, I bought myself an Aircraft touch up spray gun for R250 in Kroondal Spar. Works like a charm :mrgreen:
geraldhum

Post by geraldhum »

Prime wrote::scratch:

Nope, seems you are right. Apparently plexiglass is a very old name for perspex. :scratch:

Anyway, back on topic:

geraldhum, I bought myself an Aircraft touch up spray gun for R250 in Kroondal Spar. Works like a charm :mrgreen:
For R250 that is cheap, but then what about the air compressor? you still need air dont u?
djwez
The next Sheldon Cooper
Processor: AMD PII x3 720 (4th core unlocke
Motherboard: Asus M4A785TD-M EVO
Graphics card: Sapphire 7790 Dual x OC
Memory: 8GB 1600 Vengeance kit

Post by djwez »

my 2c

i agree with koko

my first mod didnt turn out to well but slowly improved it (and i mean slowly)

you might want to practise cutting a few times on old panels just to get use to it

and masking tape is your best friend (for drawing lines on panels and stuffs)