Reprap/Cupcake CNC

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
tvdbon

Reprap/Cupcake CNC

Post by tvdbon »

Hi All, I've been contemplating building a reprap/cupcake cnc. It's basically a 3d home printer. At the moment I've started with the electronics. I'm planning on ordering some pcb's for the 3rd generation electronics.

http://reprap.org/bin/view/Main/Generation3Electronics

Just wanted to find out if there is such an interest, ie. should I order lots of boards and sell them in south africa or not really.

if anybody else is building one of these in South africa then I would love to hear from you.
Prime

Re: Reprap/Cupcake CNC

Post by Prime »

looks interesting. any idea of cost?
tvdbon

Post by tvdbon »

So far I got back the prices for two of the boards. First is the stepper motor driver (you need one for each motor), and then the motherboard.

The quote I got it is roughly R50 a stepper board and R110 a motherboard. This is bare pcb's only but commercially made (silkscreen and soldermask). I'm ordering mine by the end of the week.

I'm planning on building the Cupcake CNC 3D printer :

paulb

Post by paulb »

I have been very interrested in building one of these for quite some time. Maybe now is the time to jump in. Would you be looking at complete kits as well?
zeroimpact

Post by zeroimpact »

Good to see that there are ppl in SA looking at this.
I have been toying with the idea of building the Rep rap machine,

Do you have any good places where one can buy the required parts ?

The other thing is why did you decide on the cupcake machine and not the rep rap ?

Regards
elabuschagne

Post by elabuschagne »

I have also stumbled accross these cool machines and am interested in building one.

Did anyone manage to get hold of the electronics for these machines, or maybe started selling them (and other parts) here in SA?

Would be very interested...