Eagle Cad

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
rm5d

Eagle Cad

Post by rm5d »

I was wondering wether anybody uses Eagle Cad schematic capture and printed circuit board design package .If you don't check it out. - Thanks

http://www.cadsoft.de/freeware.htm
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

No, don't use it. Dont trust it for full on development. I use Orcad Capture CIS and Layout plus.
tvdbon

Post by tvdbon »

Samaya wrote:No, don't use it. Dont trust it for full on development. I use Orcad Capture CIS and Layout plus.
Why would you not recommend eagle. I've been using the freeware edition for a while now for small projects and I haven't had any problems with it. I'm not starting a fight, but I was just wondering why you say that ? Maybe I'm missing something :?:
rm5d

Post by rm5d »

Good question,I have used it for several years first the freeware and then the proffesional.

Having worked in electronic design for over 20 years I have used Smartwork,Pcad,Orcad,Tango to name a few and for the price Eagle can easily hold it own.

A friend who runs a Pcb Manufacturing operation claims that 80% of his clients be and small use it.

Having said all that It is like anything else in life - personal prefrence - but not to trust it !!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I have used Circuitmaker, PCAD, Protel DSP and 99, Electronic workbench and Pads. Neither of which, with the possible exception of Pads, come close to the functionality of Orcad. I have never had a layout problem with Orcad , the gerber file generation is great because ALL the manufacturers we use (and have used at previous jobs) can read the files. No need to export it to some other format. I can do VHDL programming in Orcad, use Spectra if needed and import .DWG drawings into my layouts.

So no I don't like or trust anything else - but like you said: Personal preference.
tvdbon

Post by tvdbon »

sounds cool, but whats the price tag on Orcad ?
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Very expensive. If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
tvdbon

Post by tvdbon »

So, for the hobbyist Eagle would be a good bet.

Speaking of pcb's and such. Does anybody know of a pcb manufacturer in SA who would do runs of about 20 pcb's or even less ? I'd like to have some boards made, doublesided, nice green pcb's with silkscreen.

Thanks,
Tom
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I have a supplier that we used at a previous company. Circuit Board manufacturers 012 653 0057, Hennopspark Centurion. Use them if you don't mind the occasional miss drilled via hole (Just check that your boards are OK and insist on netlist testing). Last I remember their setup charge was about R400. Otherwise just use Central circuits 012 665 4860, they are more expensive than most other companies. They also have the odd issue with boards but they usually are of a higher quality, our company uses them to manufacture our boards mostly.
rm5d

Post by rm5d »

In what city,Tom.

Thanks
tvdbon

Post by tvdbon »

Well, I'm located in Vanderbijlpark. but any place in Gauteng would be fine :)
rm5d

Post by rm5d »

Sorry,can only help with Cape Town.

Thanks
tvdbon

Post by tvdbon »

OK, would you mind still posting details. Postage is cheap enough so I'd be interested if the features (silkscreen, etc) are good and the prices are good as well. Lemme know :)
rm5d

Post by rm5d »

Try them North Tech Services -http://www.ntspcb.co.za/.

Thanks
Mubz

Post by Mubz »

tvdbon wrote: Speaking of pcb's and such. Does anybody know of a pcb manufacturer in SA who would do runs of about 20 pcb's or even less ? I'd like to have some boards made, doublesided, nice green pcb's with silkscreen.

Thanks,
Tom
Hey Tom :D Howzit
Why dont you try :arrow: CSD, they in Powerville, Vereeniging.
We did a run of about 20 Boards with them, They not too bad.
Give them a try 016 421 4640

Regards, Mobeen
kourtney

Re: Eagle Cad

Post by kourtney »

How can I get online freelance auto-cad conversion jobs ? As I have nearly 8years experience in Autocad, 3d modelling, Photoshop, Corel draw and some other multimedia softwares. Any one pls. help me to find. Thank you.