Modding electronics

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Samaya

Modding electronics

Post by Samaya »

I gave this a bit of thought and was wondering if anyone would use this... I am going to post all the useful electronic circuits, myself and others on the forum, have made for their mods here.

Anyone who has made something, be it a fan switcher or LED driver can post their circuits or pictures here.

Lets start with the Hard disk bar graph

The worst thing about this meter is that after I built it, RobthePyro showed me a device (lm3914)that does all this in one go. Except for the input ofcourse which makes all the difference.
What you need:
1) Vero board. This is the stuff I built the whole circuit with. Communica sells this in single sheets. Their about +-R20 each.
2) Resistros. You will need 100Ohm per LED(depending on the current drawn per LED) , 1000Ohm (1kilo Ohm) also as many as you have LEDS. Then you will need 1 x 10kOhm Variable resistor and 1 x 100kOhm Variable resistor.
3) Your LEDS. I used 3mm Green LEDs that use 15mA each. So I was safe driving them directly from my Op-amps. If you use the same circuit as I did but with LED’s that need more current, you will need to add Transistors.
4) Op-Amps. I used LM258 dual op-amps. 5 of them will give you 10 usable Op-amps. Be careful with these and do not short them. They are not that friendly. OR you could replace all the op-amps with a lm3914.
5) Optional transistors. You can use BC639-25 transistors if you want to drive up to about 100mA LEDs but then do not go over 5V per transistor. If you require more info just PM me.
To build:
1) There isn’t really a recipe to build this but just make sure you do not have any shorts on the board. THAT is why you need the multimeter. On your meter there needs to be a continuity test (the setting which beeps when you touch your probes together)
2) You will need to know which wire goes to which pin. You will need the circuit for that and the following: Pin 1 – Output A
Pin2 – Inverting Input A (-)
Pin 3 – Non-inverting input A (+)
Pin 4 – Ground
Pin 5 – Non-inverting input B (+)
Pin 6 – Inverting Input B (-)
Pin 7 – Output B
Pin 8 – Vcc
3) After you build this PLEASE test for shorts again. You might think you are the shiz but really even I still make this stupid mistake. Overlooking something is easy when you work with Vero board.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Temperature dependant fan controller.

R1 is a 10k OHM NTC (Negative temperature coefficient) Resistor. Its resistance changes as temperature changes. If you have any questions on this just PM me
DoOb

Post by DoOb »

Samaya i want that Diagram for the HDD activity LED's

That strip one. :wink:
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I hope you know that you're gonna be VERY busy making stuff for my next mod, right? :P
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I hope you know that you're gonna be VERY busy making stuff for my next mod, right? :P
Ja, Its not like I have anything else to do :wink:

Doob's you can copy that circuit and do what you like with it. I am not copyrighting it at all. That's why I have put it on the forum, for everyone to use and abuse as they want.

Do you think we should have this thread stickied?
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Awesome :D

I think a sticky would be nice. Mods?
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Skidd
Permanently Banned

Post by Skidd »

/me cuts and pastes out of head

Ah snap windows doesnt support that feature :-)

I guess I will have to design them and post them up when I get round to it :lol:
SupaNorm

Hard disk bar graph

Post by SupaNorm »

Hey guys,

Made this circuit. Works like a charm! Small enough to fit into a matchbox and then hook up to 10 LEDs. Also has the option of changing LED display. e.g. Like a Hifi or like Knightrider (Almost)
SupaNorm

Hard disk bar graph

Post by SupaNorm »

I used a different circuit diagram compared to the one posted.
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Are you able to post it? If it works well then I'm sure other people would want to use it too..
to ápeiro anima
SupaNorm

Post by SupaNorm »

Can do, just got to remember my Imageshack acc details. Hang on
SupaNorm

Post by SupaNorm »

Cool here is the circuit diagram:
And here is the mod:

The next 2 are the mod fitted into the top part of my case:

Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Isn't that the one on the bit-tech forums?

That is much easier to build than my circuit. Nice man
GrimStoner

Post by GrimStoner »

Um... what does it do? Instead of having one LED displaying activity, now you have 10? That it?
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

No this a bar graph, as activity on the one LED you have increases (it flashes faster), the more LEDs switch on. It has a brilliant effect.
SupaNorm

Post by SupaNorm »

Got this from www.gideontech.com if you guys are wondering. Doesn't cost much and looks great
rm5d

Eagle Cad

Post by rm5d »

I was wondering wether anybody uses Eagle Cad schematic capture and printed circuit board design package .If you don't check it out. - Thanks

http://www.cadsoft.de/freeware.htm
rm5d

Electronic Front Panel

Post by rm5d »

I want the front panel for my planned scratch build to have a comprehensive electronic control panel.The dims are 450mmx300mmand most of it will be available for the panel.

There will be

1)Hdd activity bargraph
2)a six channel PWM fan controllerwith bypass switches and speed bargraph displays.
3)Sound to light activation for all lighting in case with a switch for

A)lights on
B)lights off
C)Sound activated and a sesitivity control.

4)A border of led's for illumination

Over the panel i want to mount a piece of plexi the colour will depend on what color passes the light the best.

There is plenty of place to and a lot more.I would like suggestions,diagrams or links of what might be cool to add.

Samaya

Re: Modding electronics

Post by Samaya »

Formulas that are useful to calculate resistor values, current, voltage and wattage.
V=I*R (Volt=Current*Resistor)
P=V*I (Power=Voltage*Current)
P=I^2 * R(Power = Current[squared] * resistor)

Kirchoff: An amount of Current flowing into a point is equal to the current flowing away from that point.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Have you thought of having a headphone jack placed in your mod? Want to be able to set the volume your self?

Well now you can!!! Just build this little circuit which is powered directly from your 12V rail and listen away.

All rights reserved and the idea was brought to you by I34z1k :wink:
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Not only will it control volume, it'll also act as an amplifier, right Samaya? So it'll make your sound a little louder, less clipping and possibly an effect on the bass of your sound. :D
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Yup, that Op-Amp should increase the volume
Prime

Post by Prime »

Depends how you set your op-amp up but yes, it should increase the out put. I have a nifty program called express pcb or express pcb? that lets you design both circuits and boards. It's free. I'll post a link in the morning.

Does anyone here have any experience with etching boards?
Prime

Post by Prime »

:wink: Software here

I've done my own print outs but i haven't gotten to the etching stage as i haven't succeeded in getting a good image transfer onto the board. i bought some transfer sheet from communica to try. and i'll maybe do that this weekend. any one done etching with HCL? is there a reason they use ferric chloride?

I'm also experimenting with LED segment displays. i found a few in the throw out box in our electrical labs. i want to build a temp gauge. i'll post a schematic if i can find one 8)
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

I34z1k wrote:Not only will it control volume, it'll also act as an amplifier, right Samaya? So it'll make your sound a little louder, less clipping and possibly an effect on the bass of your sound. :D
It will increase or decrease the volume as you turn resistor R1. Less clipping will depend on your source. BTW this design is for an input voltage of 2Vp-p and maximum gain that you will get is about 3.5 times more. It won't be as loud having a +12V and -12V connected but it will definitely make a difference. :wink: