Modding Hardware and Software suppliers

General discussion of topics related to modding. Project logs go in the "Project Logs" subforum.
Samaya

Re: Modding Hardware and Software suppliers

Post by Samaya »

I'll add them
smokinbarrels

Post by smokinbarrels »

Don't know if it's here, but Montana traders in Pretroia (North/Montana) has a few car audio shops with some good lookin LED's etc.
Intel Core 2 Duo 3Ghz
Gigabyte Mobo
3Gb DDR2 800
Geforce 9800GT 512Mb
1 x 1TB Seagate Hdd
1 x 320Gb Seagate Hdd
2 x Samsung 22x DVD/RW
LG Flatron W17
500W PSU
Win 7 Ultimate
senile

Post by senile »

Where would I find paint to use with an airbrush (for steel pc cases). Or should I dilute normal acrylic with thinners?
Prime

Post by Prime »

senile wrote:Where would I find paint to use with an airbrush (for steel pc cases). Or should I dilute normal acrylic with thinners?
Another airbrusher! :D

Um, depending on your top coat, you may need to prime it. Herbert Evans in rosebank sells an acrylic paint specifically for metal, i believe its DecoArt (i'll check the brand just now) that can be applied straight to metal. it's water based, and cleans out the airbrush reasonably easily. If necessary, flush out your airbrush with some meths afterwards. if you are using something like humbrol enamels, thin it with enamel thinners, but then you usually need a primer such as coast coat which can also be airbrushed on. you could use hammerite which is also a solvent based paint, but it requires a special solvent. (incidentally, its not petrol proof... dont ask :lol: )

In all cases, thin the paint for the airbrush to the consistency of milk (advice from one of the people in the shop).
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

Samaya wrote:
Metals and metals related:
And this one W1kid found:
http://www.nfm.co.za/
In PTA and will do cutting for you.
Just though I'd mention - I went to this place a few days ago to get some Alu for a mod. Seriously, this is the sketchiest looking place I've ever been to, and it's in an even sketchier area, but man, they're SO nice there. They actually gave me a little tour of the place, showing me all their equipment, all the different kinds of metals that they work with, thicknesses, etc. They also gave me a discount :P I got all of this alu for R113:

So yeah, I'd definitely recommend these guys.
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

That is seriously cheap. Did you see if they can bend metal sheets?
Prime

Post by Prime »

http://www.wifly.co.za

For servos, brushless motors etc.

Fantastic service, brilliant prices, nice range of parts from mini servos (and I mean mini) to full sized...stuff, they have most of it.
Bought some tiny servos for hooking up to my microcontrollers. At 12 rand a servo, if I bust one, its cheap to replace. :twisted:

Then I've come across the following, but not yet used them:
www.netram.co.za Great selection of plugins and accessories for micro controllers.
http://robotics.org.za More components for use with Arduino and other microcontrollers
http://www.botshop.co.za/ As above.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Those are some fantastic prices on remote controlled stuff. I'll put them in.
The_Jelly

Post by The_Jelly »

hey guys iv read a couple pages of this thread and like 90 percent of it is pta jhb related... can some one please help me with a place to buy modders mesh... or something similar... and perspex in the durban area... i had a look at the autostyle website and they out of stock on the honeycomb and the small hole mesh... they only have the diamond car grill mesh (don't want my pc looking like a braai grill)... also had a look on the mesh cape website but they look very industrial, but will go visit them this weekend...

does anyone know of a place in the durban/pinetown area that will sell mesh for sure, and a place that sells perspex??
i7 950 @ 4ghz 1.3v| Zalman CNPS 10x extreme Cooler | Asus Rampage III extreme | 6gb corsair dominator 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Asus gtx 560 Ti Direct Cu II SLI| Corsair Tx 750W | Coolermaster Cm690II Advanced | 640Gb WD Black Sata 3 6gb/s |
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

You can't buy decent mesh in SA.

As for perspex, call Maizey Plastics. Link in the first page. They have branches all over SA :)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Its worth having a look at mesh cape bro. They make all kinds of mesh! Surely there's something there you could use
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Slimshaedy wrote:Its worth having a look at mesh cape bro. They make all kinds of mesh! Surely there's something there you could use
You can get the mesh from "Mesh Cape" BUT you have to buy it in sheets... which are +-R800 for 2m x 1m

You can get the perspex from Maizeys but I am not sure where in DBN.
The_Jelly wrote:and like 90 percent of it is pta jhb related...
I stay in PTA thats why most suppliers are from these areas. I asked some of the CPT'nians and DBN'ites for their suppliers numbers and details but NO-ONE replied. I eventually just placed the ones I knew of on the list.

So if you have any suppliers that you would like to have on the list, PLEASE PM me their details or post it here.

Thanks,

S
Slimshaedy

Post by Slimshaedy »

Ya you pay per metre which is a bit crap but there's nothing we can do... I went there a few months ago and I didn't quite need a metre,so if you talk to the them they can give you their offcuts and charge you accordingly but I mean what's the chance you get a nice sized offcut?
[i7 2600K @ 4.6 ghz 1.35V] [Asus P8P67 Deluxe] [G-Skill RipjawsX 2x2GB DDR3 1600 CL6 (6-8-6-24) 1.5V]
[Sapphire Radeon 6870 @ 975/1200 1.2V] [Coolermaster V6 GT] [WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA3 6Gbps]
[Samsung SA350 23" LED] [NZXT Phantom White] [Corsair TX750W V2] [Zalman RS6F-USB 5.1 Surround Sound Headphones] My rig and benchmarks
Brad2.0

Post by Brad2.0 »

If anyone in Durbs looking for sleeving. Try these guys

http://www.three-d.co.za/Woven_Sleeving ... mizer.html

This is the first time i bought sleeving, so i cant compare it to anything. But it is proper black, feels strong and dense and its cheap. I paid R100 for 11m. You can also buy over the counter , and at any qauntity. Best of all it is 10min away from me, so I dont have to import the stuff. Slim and Jelly, I know you guys will be excited, its just down your road.

They also do lots of aother stuff.
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

Awesome find. I'll add it to the list on P1
Prime

Post by Prime »

Last edited by Prime on 09 Aug 2011, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Does anyone know a reasonably priced, local source of Copper PCB?

I bought a square foot of double sided, blank PCB from yebo electronics online for 90 Bucks but it has to be posted from Capetown... (And lets hope no one bends it! )
Samaya

Post by Samaya »

You could try Communica - their in Midrand. I don't know if they have that size but I know they have raw board.