Linux???

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
_Terry_

Linux???

Post by _Terry_ »

Hey,

In my few years of owning a PC I have messed around with Linux once or twice , it has never ended well.

The first few times I installed Ubuntu and mint on my second hdd, it was great until it broke my internet in Windows 7. Had to boot from a live cd every time after using Linux. So I stopped using them and deleted their partitions. This caused issues with booting into windows - had to fix the boot manager from the Windows install disk.

So Ubuntu 11.04 gets released and I get the Linux bug again. I took the n00b route this time and installed it alongside windows. I eagerly wait for my PC to reboot after the installation, I log in, the desktop appears with the snazzy side bar, I go for a click but nothing happens - it's frozen, sh17. After a few futile reboots I try Ubuntu 10 - also alongside windows and the freezing issue persists.

So it's the installation alongside windows that does't work, I know I could fix this by installing it properly on my second hdd - but that's a mission and I will most likely screw up my internet and boot manager again.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

_Terry_
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Linux???

Post by Ron2K »

I'm not sure how to fix your particular issue - but I'm going to suggest something totally different. If you just want to run Linux for experimental purposes and not permanently (and you appear to fit this profile), why not run it in a virtual machine? The August edition of the mag explains this nicely.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
_Terry_

Post by _Terry_ »

Thanks Ron2k, just installed Ubuntu 11.04 in Virtual Box and it works perfectly.

Will play around with it until I decide to install it properly.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Well... inside that virtual box it is all done properly for all intentions already.
If the "middelware" method of using it is working, well, why sukkel with dual partitions or 2nd HDD's ?