Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Discussion and support for all Linux distributions and Unix flavours (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc).
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

ubuntu.com wrote:The release of Ubuntu 11.04 has seen the arrival of a new look and feel for Ubuntu. A whizzy, new launcher and dash, and a clever workspace manager are some of the biggest changes. Take a look at what’s new and then feel free to choose between the classic and new desktop experiences at login.
ars technica wrote:Although many of the changes introduced in Unity represent tangible usability improvements, there are some parts of the environment—particularly the application lens—that still have some rough edges. Some users might also be put off by Unity's lack of configurability. The position of the dock is one of several key aspects that can't be customized. Users who prefer a more traditional environment or want to wait for Unity to mature further before making the switch can simply choose the "Classic" Ubuntu desktop in the system login interface.

Unity requires support for hardware-accelerated rendering, which might not work consistently across all hardware. The classic environment is also used as a fallback for users with unsupported hardware. A "2D" version of Unity, built with Qt, that doesn't require compositing is under active development and could serve as the fallback in future versions of Ubuntu. The 2D version is shipping today in the Ubuntu ARM netbook port, but not on the regular Ubuntu CD.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Post by Ron2K »

Spoiler: (show)
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

That is what I was thinking too
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

I'll stick with Mint 10 for now. :) Not that I dislike the Unity interface. It's actually very nice. I just prefer the Mint look and feel, with the Ubuntu-derived ease of use and functionality.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Gonna download this tonight, quite keen to try out this new interface...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Decent release from what I can see, but I can't try out the new Unity UI as it doesn't work in VMware. :(

Going to install the 2D version to have a look, but from the screenshots I think I would prefer standard gnome on a big screen and Unity on a smaller device like a netbook.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

ryanrich wrote:Unity on a smaller device like a netbook.
++ :/... played with it, and it's certainly interesting but not something i would use on a permanent basis... back to default+AWN...

if you're looking to VM it, try virtualbox, (4.06),... once the guest additions are installed you should have no hassle getting unity 3D up...
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Thanks, will have a look at Virtualbox.
AlphA

Post by AlphA »

Any of you running 11.04 on a Sandy Bridge CPU?

I have a strange problem where the machine will freeze just after the splash screen appears. If I am persistent enough and try again and again....it will eventually boot into the GUI. This is the problem with both Ubuntu and Kubuntu. The Live CD works 100% though.

Looks like I'll have to wait for Mint11 or FC15 to use my new hardware.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Is it just me, or do bits of Unity look OSX-ish?

I'm thinking of those programme panel with large icons.

I also tried Gnome 3 in OpenSUSE, [virtualbox] but it refused to run in all its glory.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

newstechnica.com wrote:Design is at the centre of Shuttleworth’s roadmap for Unity. “I woke up one day and thought, ‘Gosh, I’d really like to make using my universal general-purpose computer that I can do ANYTHING with feel like I’m using a locked-down three-year-old half-smart phone through the clunky mechanism some l33t h@xx0r used to jailbreak it, I can’t think of a better user experience.’ We’re not quite there yet, but this gets Unity a lot of the way.”
mildly amusing but this is getting a wee bit tiresome...

all these "l33t" ubuntu users getting their big girl panties all knotted up over something which can be disabled in an appreciable fraction of a second at the login prompt... seriously... :| sometimes accessibility only breeds idiocy...
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

So I downloaded Narwhal last month and decided to wipe my PCs OS drive to test it.

Very nice but a couple things are bugging me. I can't use Unity as I don't have the drivers so does anyone have a link to some nice 64bit 11.4 drivers for a GTS250? I have the Nvidia site drivers downloading now. I know Linux auto looks for drivers and installs them but I don't have the cap for it so I'm using works.

I have installed BF2 using WINE and will try run it fully patched joining servers and playing online. If it works I'll move my lappy to Linux and my desktop back to Windowz 7.

Other than that it's really fast and smooth AND looks good.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

JollyJamma wrote:I know Linux auto looks for drivers and installs them.
not the restricted drivers... which is what you may require...

did you tick the "install restricted drivers" option during install? if not, you can revisit the option via the circuit board on the task panel, (top), or running the hardware config tool.....
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

Thanks Mr. Pup.

Will try it today
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.